Students 'sweaterbomb' UNT statues with winter looks

Several statues at the University of North Texas greeted students with new, colorful and fashionable looks Monday, which marked the first day of classes for the semester.

Owls, turtles, deer, rabbits and more donned sweaters and scarves.

The university took to its Facebook page Monday to applaud the project, writing, "SWEATER BOMBED: Last night, UNT's statues were mysteriously decked out with nice knits. To the anonymous dresser, thank you for keeping our permanent residents warm and colorful! UNT student Wesley Kirk took the wonderful photos."

Read more: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/24450515/students-add-humor-to-unt-statues-with-colorful-sweater-ensembles#ixzz2qRG28OVr

Suck it Denton homeless!!

It's their own lack of industry and work-ethic that has caused them to be without sweaters. Clearly those cast in bronze have already achieved and succeeded and as such are entitled to warmth in the winter. Maybe if there was a little more give and a little less take the homeless of Denton would actually EARN their sweaters.

Wish these people would spend as much time supporting and promoting the school and the athletic programs.

You're kidding, right?

Instead of working on a side-project (funny or not) to get attention that could help land them jobs? A fashion major and a film student, who likely documented the whole thing, receiving media exposure certainly won't hurt them in their pursuits, and of course got some local exposure for UNT as well. I don't see how an independent project in one's field of study means they don't support the school or its sports programs. Michael Faircloth was a fashion major and has gotten a lot of exposure for UNT on his way to becoming a Distinguished Alumnus. Plus for every person who gets mad when an artist didn't go to a football game, I kind of wonder how many supported that same artist by going to their gallery show.

It's a two-way street, which I assume you know which is why I figured you were joking, but some may share the sentiment without kidding.

Not a fan of the sweaterbomb. Leave the statues alone. Let them make sweaters for the local shelters or something. I think what we really have here are people looking for attention. The problem is, by leaching onto the sculptures on campus and altering their appearance, they devalue the artwork. If the artists or the university administration wanted sweaters on the statues, they would have had them when they were purchased.

What's next?... Super-gluing fake wieners onto the statues?

Not a fan of the sweaterbomb. Leave the statues alone. Let them make sweaters for the local shelters or something. I think what we really have here are people looking for attention. The problem is, by leaching onto the sculptures on campus and altering their appearance, they devalue the artwork. If the artists or the university administration wanted sweaters on the statues, they would have had them when they were purchased.

What's next?... Super-gluing fake wieners onto the statues?

Clearly the next logical step.

• Upvote 2