Tee Goree named Max Preps 2nd Team All American

NT03

Let the tape be the judge. It should always be the judge of any unofficial measurables IMO. He'll have a chance to start immediately, and if he continues to improve at the rate that he has been then we will really have something special on our hands.

Another thing to note; it was posted on this board by bigdanteague that Goree is young enough to still be a junior in high school. He will still be 17 when he starts fall camp so he may still have some growing left height wise and definitely bulk wise. Can you imagine if he put up those stats as a junior, like he could be?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Cl5wRVh1q2k&feature=c4-feed-u

• Upvote 1

i just hope he signs the dotted line and stays committed to UNT.. I want to see all of our recruits gain these awesome accolades but at the same time i would rather them not so they dont garner attention from the P5 schools, and flip on us.

From what I can see, he bleeds green already and is friends with half the team, according to Twitter. I think he's a safe bet.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, isn't he the one that turned down some other significant FBS offers because he's 100% with us? I'm always glad to hear about that level of loyalty and commitment, and when you're achieving at a high level it's the icing on the cake. It's great that more of these guys seem to be learning the lesson that they can shine in a program like this instead of being one of many options at the football empires. I kind of wonder how many guys could have been noticed as mid-major stars and had better chances at the pros if they hadn't been riding the pine at OU or Bama or one of those.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, isn't he the one that turned down some other significant FBS offers because he's 100% with us? I'm always glad to hear about that level of loyalty and commitment, and when you're achieving at a high level it's the icing on the cake. It's great that more of these guys seem to be learning the lesson that they can shine in a program like this instead of being one of many options at the football empires. I kind of wonder how many guys could have been noticed as mid-major stars and had better chances at the pros if they hadn't been riding the pine at OU or Bama or one of those.

Unfortunately, their huge egos (or parents and handlers) lead them to the highest offer. As you so correctly pointed out, most would find playing time and happiness at a mid-major. Marcus Trice realized this early enough to transfer to a program where he could play and excel. I highly doubt that Zach Orr would have had a fraction of his success in the Big 12 or SEC.

Goree could excel at a larger school or be just another receiver in a core of WR's in the PAC 10. He has a greater chance for all-conference honors at a mid-major. My nephew's son is a 6-1, 268 lb 8th grade DT. (and good) When I mentioned to him that I wanted him to consider UNT in Denton, my nephew and my sister stated that they wanted to hear from Alabama or similar.

Anyway, it is refreshing for kids to sign where they feel they will be happiest and not concern themselves with impressing others.

• Upvote 4

Well, I hope your great-nephew is good enough to break through if he gets those offers and/or really focuses on a good education. A school like ours is so rare in not only giving athletes a chance to shine but also ACTUALLY getting them an education and not just finding ways to help them skate through to stay eligible. I hope you mentioned this to your nephew and sister...getting a football scholarship to Rice, Stanford, Ivy League, etc. wouldn't concern me (if it was one of mine). Taking the risk of shooting for a scholarship at an athlete factory would instantly raise red flags unless you're one of the top prospects and legitimately expect to go pro within a couple of years.

Begrudging young athletes for going to high-major programs reveals the pervasive naivete of many among this fan base.

It's not a grudge, it's a risk analysis. Going to high-profile programs can have greater rewards if you make the cut, but the risk of sitting out is much higher. Choosing a mid-major program tends to lessen the statistical likelihood of being drafted or signing as a free agent, but players with the requisite skills and talents have a much higher likelihood of showcasing their talents, thus evening out the odds in terms of being noticed and going to the next level. Additionally, mid-majors as a group tend to focus more on the "student" portion of "student-athlete" and not only graduate more athletes, but also don't have as many NCAA infractions for various problems. Hence, those who aren't afforded the opportunity to play as professionals are not only more likely to graduate, but are also more likely to have actually gone to classes and learned the necessary material for a quality career after their eligibility expires.

UNT must be the best fit for Mr. Goree, or he would not have committed. He has offers from MWC/PAC-10 schools. If they were so much better than UNT, he would have committed to one of them instead.

Time to stop thinking like UNT cant hang with any other school. We have a lot to offer. Mr. Goree's commitment proves that. If he decided to take up one of the offers from one of the other schools, it wouldn't relegate him to the bench. He's obviously a heckuva player.

• Upvote 1