NCAA Proposal Would Put Power In Hands of P5 Conferences

PlummMeanGreen

Just reading the below article concerning the upcoming NCAA Convention I don't see any new classification level around the corner for our Group of 5 at all. The Big Boys do not want to leave the NCAA because of the structure of all other sports including March Madness.

Best thing that could happen for the G5 would still be an 8 or 16 team play-off as some of you have mentioned in the past. That seems do-able but will take a few years to happen.

Even a 4 team play-off leaves as many P5 schools (like TCU, Iowa State, Baylor Texas Tech, Duke, etc) out of the loop with no chance to ever play for a NCAA national championship as much as it does the rest of us.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/writer/dennis-dodd/24404728/ncaa-proposal-would-put-power-in-hands-of-bcs-conferences

I have zero problem with universities making a commitment to ensure players earn a degree. Most people think these players get scholarships until they graduate. They don't. Nor does everyone get summer school paid for if they choose to attend. I would like to front load that I am not complaining however, my scholarship disappeared the May after my last year of eligibility and they never paid for Summer school because I had good grades. Maybe it's changed but I don't know.

Additionally, if a kid gets hurt. Let him go to school and get his degree without costing the team a scholarship. Or if a guy leaves for whatever reason after his eligibility, let him finish. These schools make a lot of money off them. Student Athletes are there for a degree. I applaud the idea to ensure they get degrees.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 5

I have zero problem with universities making a commitment to ensure players earn a degree. Most people think these players get scholarships until they graduate. They don't. Nor does everyone get summer school paid for if they choose to attend. I would like to front load that I am not complaining however, my scholarship disappeared the May after my last year of eligibility and they never paid for Summer school because I had good grades. Maybe it's changed but I don't know.

Additionally, if a kid gets hurt. Let him go to school and get his degree without costing the team a scholarship. Or if a guy leaves for whatever reason after his eligibility, let him finish. These schools make a lot of money off them. Student Athletes are there for a degree. I applaud the idea to ensure they get degrees.

Great point! After all a degree is supposed to be the point in the first place.

Think its been said but for those special talent players that need stipends might the NFL be available to them early on? How many 2'nd or 3'rd team players do you hear talking up the idea of stipends?

The P5 folks need not forget the G5 voting coalition who would probably approve most anything the P5'ers want just for G5 self-preservation. Think I've already read that some G5 conferences would be ready for stipends if that day comes. That would probably send many upstarts back to the FCS truth be known depending on the amount of said stipends.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Yeah well P5 universities hand out degrees like candy on Halloween night to the major sport "student"-athletes. Even to the former athletes coming back to "school" for the degree. Example: Shaq went back and received his doctorate in education. I'd love to read his dissertation, if he even wrote one. This comment obviously needs to be disregarded for the athletes that take education seriously.

• Upvote 1

Yeah well P5 universities hand out degrees like candy on Halloween night to the major sport "student"-athletes. Even to the former athletes coming back to "school" for the degree. Example: Shaq went back and received his doctorate in education. I'd love to read his dissertation, if he even wrote one. This comment obviously needs to be disregarded for the athletes that take education seriously.

He didn't write one, opting for an oral Capstone presentation.

He didn't write one, opting for an oral Capstone presentation.

he got an Ed.D not a PhD so there was no dissertation requirement which is commonly the case with professional doctorates Vs. PhDs

Think its been said but for those special talent players that need stipends might the NFL be available to them early on? How many 2'nd or 3'rd team players do you hear talking up the idea of stipends?

The P5 folks need not forget the G5 voting coalition who would probably approve most anything the P5'ers want just for G5 self-preservation. Think I've already read that some G5 conferences would be ready for stipends if that day comes. That would probably send many upstarts back to the FCS truth be known depending on the amount of said stipends.

GMG!

I'd be all for leaving FBS if we have to start paying players stipends. A scholarship at a university is huge--its to help them get a degree while playing a sport they love. We aren't a minor league team for the NFL. Sure, most AQ powers are just that, but we aren't.

I love the game of college football, but I hate the powers that rule college football. Its the most self-serving bunch in the history of sports.

Go mid majors!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!