Southern Mississippi (1/9/14)

CMJ

I'm still not sure about that foul... Maybe I need to do some research. Is it different in college then in the pros? An intentional foul can be used for a lot of purposes though. Force the offensive to reset, stop the clock, etc.. So why would an intentional foul mean two free throws. I get the free throws because they were in the bonus. I just do not get them getting the ball back. Sorry just not convinced yet haha.

Intentional fouls have always and always will be 2 shots and the ball. I would recommend you do a little research on it. I think you will find he made the right call regardless of where Alzee was.

I agree there were a lot of bad calls in this game. As soon as I saw him blow the whistle there I knew he was going to call the intentional.

Intentional fouls have always and always will be 2 shots and the ball. I would recommend you do a little research on it. I think you will find he made the right call regardless of where Alzee was.

I agree there were a lot of bad calls in this game. As soon as I saw him blow the whistle there I knew he was going to call the intentional.

Walton intentionally fouled them with 32 seconds left. They took their two shots and we got the ball. What was different? I know flag rents get two and the ball. But intention fouls happen all the time. We had at least 5 of them tonight. So I guess I do not get what made that play any different.

So if a point guard has the ball at the top of the key and CJ fouls him then they get two and the ball? That never happened tonight. CJ had at least one intention foul tonight when he just kinda threw himself on the guy with the ball to just stop the play dead. They just took the ball out of bounds because it was like foul 2 or 3 of the first half.

• Upvote 1

I know I will be judged harshly, but I see a lot of fans on here talking basketball like you would expect fans too. A lot of upset people with the loss which I understand, but don't claim to know how to fix things. Don't claim you know how to attack the 2-3 or 1-3-1. Because there are all kinds of different ways depending on personnel and matchups.

There is not much basketball analyzing on here just lots of complaining.

It was a tough loss. I think we all can agree on there is talent on the team. It's just not always working as a collective unit right now. I think we can also say this team is ahead of last yrs group.

I think they can be a threat down the stretch if things go right.

As a fan I'm happy with the effort and displeased with the execution, but I think they are worth watching.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Walton intentionally fouled them with 32 seconds left. They took their two shots and we got the ball. What was different? I know flag rents get two and the ball. But intention fouls happen all the time. We had at least 5 of them tonight. So I guess I do not get what made that play any different.

So if a point guard has the ball at the top of the key and CJ fouls him then they get two and the ball? That never happened tonight. CJ had at least one intention foul tonight when he just kinda threw himself on the guy with the ball to just stop the play dead. They just took the ball out of bounds because it was like foul 2 or 3 of the first half.

Did you see the ref hold his hands above his head grabbing his wrist with one hand? No. That's the sign for an intentional foul. The others were personal fouls

I know I will be judged harshly, but I see a lot of fans on here talking basketball like you would expect fans too. A lot of upset people with the loss which I understand, but don't claim to know how to fix things. Don't claim you know how to attack the 2-3 or 1-3-1. Because there are all kinds of different ways depending on personnel and matchups.

There is not much basketball analyzing on here just lots of complaining.

It was a tough loss. I think we all can agree on there is talent on the team. It's just not always working as a collective unit right now. I think we can also say this team is ahead of last yrs group.

I think they can be a threat down the stretch if things go right.

As a fan I'm happy with the effort and displeased with the execution, but I think they are worth watching.

I agree. Sorry last comment on this but that was the original meaning from a friend of mine. He said 2-3 can shut down the three depending on your personnel and how you choose to run. Got jumped all over and now a lot of my buddies do not even bother coming here which stink because they have she'd and coached and know a lot more most people including myself. I was not trying to coma in (unless your talking about the refs). Bit apparently I always have to get on the defensive because I support this team, the players, and the coach. Everyone needs work but I love watching them play and am not in favor of bashing Benford. We played a tough game and the players never gave up. Get ready for Tulane and let's win Saturday!

• Upvote 3

Did you see the ref hold his hands above his head grabbing his wrist with one hand? No. That's the sign for an intentional foul. The others were personal fouls

I know the sign but there was no difference in the foul itself. Just what the ref called. Sorry I wish I had the replay to watch with you haha. Then maybe we would both be better at explaining what we saw. A lot times when you watch it on tv and a guy goes to the basket a defender will pull both his arms down before he gets up a good shot. They say what a smart foul there preventing the easy shot. I thought it was a smart foul by Vaughn's preventing the potential 2-1 break if he could not catch up. I have seen that been called a "great foul" for preventing the easy bucket at many a mavericks game and on tv.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 1

We are ahead of last year's team in terms of wins/losses after 15 games but I would say we're no better than last year's team when you consider we've had an easier schedule this year.

We are ahead of last year's team in terms of wins/losses after 15 games but I would say we're no better than last year's team when you consider we've had an easier schedule this year.

The upside and the product on the floor is better. There is better effort. It's a team that has shown it can score the ball definitely better outside shooting. No way last yrs team is within 20 of USM. They've shown more times where they can play as a collective unit.

So I'd have to respectively disagree with you.

• Upvote 1

What ever happened to good espn commercials like this! Haha. Seriously it's like 4 steps is "legal" now in the NBA.

They still make them IMHO. It's amazing how great of an ad campaign it's been. Twenty years now and counting.

Edited by CMJ

The upside and the product on the floor is better. There is better effort. It's a team that has shown it can score the ball definitely better outside shooting. No way last yrs team is within 20 of USM. They've shown more times where they can play as a collective unit.

So I'd have to respectively disagree with you.

I don't deny that we are indeed shooting the ball better from beyond the arc.

But wait a minute. Did some people not just point out that free throw shooting and boxing out were not executed well tonight? How is that an improvement over last year? If we had made just 4 more FTs that were misses and boxed out like we should have preventing 3 easy points possibly, we might have had a much better shot at winning the game.

TIME SOUTHERN MISS                      SCORE   NORTH TEXAS
10:43 Michael Craig missed Jumper.      44-41   
10:43 Aaron Brown Offensive Rebound.    44-41 
10:34                                   44-41   Foul on Kelvin Gaines.
10:34 Jeremiah Eason made Free Throw.   45-41 
10:34 Jeremiah Eason missed Free Throw. 45-41 
10:34 Aaron Brown Offensive Rebound.    45-41 
10:33                                   45-41   Foul on Maurice Aniefiok.
10:33 Aaron Brown made Free Throw.      46-41 
10:33 Aaron Brown missed Free Throw.    46-41 
10:33 Michael Craig Offensive Rebound.  46-41 
10:31                                   46-41   Foul on Colin Voss.
10:31 Michael Craig made Free Throw.    47-41 
10:31 Michael Craig made Free Throw.    48-41 

Just some food for thought -- tonight we shot 55% on FTs. For the season we are averaging 65% and last year we averaged 71%. We're not doing better from behind the line.

Wow, I'm just impressed that this thread has hit 12 pages. Kinda tells you what some winning football can do to create a little overall interest. I'll try to shake off my Benforditis and make the next one.

The increase in posts can be attributed to one person. Judging by the large number of empty seats at home games, there is little interest. Edited by GRN-WHT