Dear BOR and President Smatresk

UNT90

Well, to be honest, a coach costing me to lost probably a million, or close to it, would have made even me pout a little.

More than a million and almost a shot at being drafted at all, which means almost a shot to play in the NBA.

Ya, I think TM was quite restrained last year.

Well, to be honest, a coach costing me to lost probably a million, or close to it, would have made even me pout a little.

oh I forgot he was only interested in prepping for the NBA stardom, so I guess pouting and pussy-footing around when the going got stuff was standard procedures for a superstar in the making, so I guess Benford did do a good job in one respect since he could not win.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 6

oh I forgot he was only interested in prepping for the NBA stardom, so I guess pouting and pussy-footing around when the going got stuff was standard procedures for a superstar in the making, so I guess Benford did do a good job in one respect since he could not win.

And again, if he were that much of a problem, a real coach would have benched his ass, no matter who he was.

Never happened.

It has nothing to do with "prepping" for "stardom. I'll tell you what, why don't you have a new boss come in, who has no clue in what he is doing, and drag your whole company down the pisser. Then sit there and tell me that it doesn't affect your income, job performance, and company's morale. I think he actually held back quite a bit of his true feelings, like much of the team.

• Upvote 2

It has nothing to do with "prepping" for "stardom. I'll tell you what, why don't you have a new boss come in, who has no clue in what he is doing, and drag your whole company down the pisser. Then sit there and tell me that it doesn't affect your income, job performance, and company's morale. I think he actually held back quite a bit of his true feelings, like much of the team.

I agree, except that TM knew that all he had to do was kick ass for one season and he was gone anyway. It is basketball, about half the time they are not even in a set play. It is unfortunate that they rift evidently became so bad that TM took halfs, games, even weeks at a time off.

I don't know if there was a rift between the players, between the players and the coach, or what, but TM must have quickly realized what a trainwreck season he was in for. Still wish he could have somehow played with Roger's motor last season and somehow play through whatever was troubling him. He could have had a season for the record books. Even as disinterested as he appeared to be, he was still one of the top players in the league. Scary to think how good he could have been last season.

Hope it clicks for him in the NBA. He could be every bit as good as someone like a Brandon Wright for the Mavs.

So dead on.

I agree, except that TM knew that all he had to do was kick ass for one season and he was gone anyway. It is basketball, about half the time they are not even in a set play. It is unfortunate that they rift evidently became so bad that TM took halfs, games, even weeks at a time off.

I don't know if there was a rift between the players, between the players and the coach, or what, but TM must have quickly realized what a trainwreck season he was in for. Still wish he could have somehow played with Roger's motor last season and somehow play through whatever was troubling him. He could have had a season for the record books. Even as disinterested as he appeared to be, he was still one of the top players in the league. Scary to think how good he could have been last season.

Hope it clicks for him in the NBA. He could be every bit as good as someone like a Brandon Wright for the Mavs.

It's like a constant rehash, but it needs to be said that no 21 year old college basketball player is going to be successful facing double and triple teams with an ineffective coaching plan for those situations and to avoid those situations.

Did TM get frustrated? Hell yea. Didn't you?

It's like a constant rehash, but it needs to be said that no 21 year old college basketball player is going to be successful facing double and triple teams with an ineffective coaching plan for those situations and to avoid those situations.

I will never understand why TM was not moved to the wing. 1. It seems his natural position. 2. If teams tried to double or triple team him on the wing Franklin could have scored 75 a night at the post.

• Upvote 1

I don't think a lot of people here understand how even the best college post players often fail to jump off the stat sheets the way guards do. I am not going to undertake a giant research project, but, just for fun, look at the college stats for recent now-NBA-studs like Hibbert, Aldridge and Love:

Hibbert: http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/georgetown/roy-hibbert

Aldridge: http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/texas/lamarcus-aldridge

Love: http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/ucla/kevin-love

Love is the only double-double I see and Tony's freshman year stacks up with any of them. Yes, the competition was different for each, but it's hard for a post player to dominate because of the defensive rules, double-teams, etc. He also played a different role his second year that made it even easier to defend him, especially with our injuries and lack of shooters.

I think a number of fans expected a trumped up version of Duncan's best year at Wake (http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/player/wake-forest/tim-duncan), but it just wasn't going to be the case.

But, why focus on any of this? The big news of today is that Bowler is now able to put aside half of his spite campaign against all of us to admit issues with Benford. It's selfish to demand a steak when the guy gives us a nice, juicy burger.

I will never understand why TM was not moved to the wing. 1. It seems his natural position. 2. If teams tried to double or triple team him on the wing Franklin could have scored 75 a night at the post.

Loved Roger, but he was a 6'3" power forward. He wasn't scoring 30 against anyone in the belt.

Everyone talks about Roger's hustle and if only TM would have played as hard as Roger without acknowledging that more than half the time, Roger's defender left him to double on TM.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I was not trying to slam TM. He didn't deal with the situation great, but I am tying to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it was mostly a coaching issue, unless someone has facts otherwise.

It was miserable to watch so I can only imagine what it was like to be on the inside. In the end, the coach is responsible to keep it from unraveling the way it did last year.

I just wish TM could have had the season he was capable of. Didn't happen for lots of reasons. . Moving on.

I was not trying to slam TM. He didn't deal with the situation great, but I am tying to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it was mostly a coaching issue, unless someone has facts otherwise.

It was miserable to watch so I can only imagine what it was like to be on the inside. In the end, the coach is responsible to keep it from unraveling the way it did last year.

I just wish TM could have had the season he was capable of. Didn't happen for lots of reasons. . Moving on.

It didn't "unravel", it was crap from the first game.

UNT lost to a D2 school in their 2nd game.

Pure crap is all Benford has served up. It's not like we started off great, good, or even fair. It was crap from the get go, so "unraveled" really isn't appropriate in this situation.

Folks...RV has a "Man Crush on Coach Benford"!!! UNT's Men's BB team will be in the ash heap before it's all over.

Everyone better start praying for another JJ and like winning the lottery RV or another AD in the future will not only have to find another JJ but be smart enough to hire him, then give him time to resurrect (sp) program. Sad thing is JJ left our program in very good if not great shape and we're still being pile driven into oblivion (sp).

Like I said RV has a "Man crush" on coach Benford...so UNT be dammed into an eternal sea of fire!!!

Not even Dodge set quite as big a blazing fire on this board as Benford has done. It really is amazing.

All anyone wants to know now is the answer to the question, "is he gone yet?".

Harry doesn't throw in the towel on anyone (until it really is over)....so seeing that post of his recently gives me hope that the end is near.

Not even Dodge set quite as big a blazing fire on this board as Benford has done.

That's only because Benford hasn't yet polished his snake oil salesmanship to make the masses believe that he actually has an inkling of a clue of what he's doing, when behind the facade, my knowledge of quantum physics as it relates to the ten dimensional projection theory in tandem with multi-verse is greater than his ability to run his own program at the college level.

Also, had Dodge come in after, say, Hayden Fry, and taken a nearly ranked team to the level of embarrassment that he did, he would've suffered the same universal fate.

That's only because Benford hasn't yet polished his snake oil salesmanship to make the masses believe that he actually has an inkling of a clue of what he's doing, when behind the facade, my knowledge of quantum physics as it relates to the ten dimensional projection theory in tandem with multi-verse is greater than his ability to run his own program at the college level.

Also, had Dodge come in after, say, Hayden Fry, and taken a nearly ranked team to the level of embarrassment that he did, he would've suffered the same universal fate.

I agree with all of what you just said. I'll add that part of what makes the Benford situation so combustible is that it's fairly obvious to anyone who has witnessed his team's play that they are a disorganized bunch. With Dodge, we did some things fairly well while still finding ways to lose games. Benford's teams look wholly deficient in all areas of the game.

And to think, I used to tell people we were a basketball school.

Now I deny we have a program. Who is going to the games? How bad is "butts in seats" attendance?

As did I.

RV used to always tell his story about Oklahoma State when it was all OSU fans, and then compare it to the Tech game. We're back to the OSU game.

Edited by meangreener

Can't we just go varsity blues and let the kids coach themselves?

So funny, that is exactly what I was thinking. I really do wonder if no head coach would be better or worse than whatever the hell is going on right now to make this such a crappy situation. As many of you mentioned, we aren't on the inside, but I wonder how much of the underperformance is game-based coaching issues versus personality conflicts and negative relationships between the players and the coach.

So funny, that is exactly what I was thinking. I really do wonder if no head coach would be better or worse than whatever the hell is going on right now to make this such a crappy situation. As many of you mentioned, we aren't on the inside, but I wonder how much of the underperformance is game-based coaching issues versus personality conflicts and negative relationships between the players and the coach.

If those negative relationships exist, it is most likely because of the game-based coaching issues.

No chicken or egg here, my friend.

On a side note, since I haven't been to a game and only plan on attending the UTEP home game this year, can someone tell me if guys are getting more than 2 minutes at a time on the floor this year, or is Benford still doing the whole reactionary substitution pattern thing with this team.

That was the very first sign all the way back to the Creighton game that this was gonna be axles-off basketball.

Edited by UNT90