Who should be our next Men's head coach?

UNT90

Alright, lets try this again.

From Jones to Benford we had 7 returners (Franklin, Holmen, Jones, Niko, Walton, Alzee, Jordan).

Overall, total production went down.

But if you just remove Walton numbers (which it appropriate because he didn't play), our scoring improved with Benford.

We did lose in boards and assists, but I think if I spent time adjusting our Jones and Williams skewed average it would be really close.

Edited by andrewrozell

This was a coaches dream last year. A diamond that is quickly turning back into coal. If we don't do something SOON, this program will be back to Trilli days. Benford is killing this program faster than Neuweindyk railroaded the Stars organization.

Think we could still get Fran? Wasn't he interested?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

This was a coaches dream last year. A diamond that is quickly turning back into coal. If we don't do something SOON, this program will be back to Trilli days. Benford is killing this program faster than Neuweindyk railroaded the Stars organization.

Fran wouldn't inherit this ship wreck for 5 million a year.

Throw in the fact that RV chose disaster (my new word for Benford, they are synonyms, after all) over Fran, and that is just insult to injury.

We are looking at a long road (at least 5 years) before we are competitive in CUSA.

But I'm sure someone deserves a contract extension.

Fran wanted the job, but RV blew any chance of ever getting him to come here after he chose Benny.

Definitely not a fair comparison there. Nill has been great but the good young players within the organization have come from Newy's tenure.

He did not railroad the organization IMO.

• Upvote 2

I feel like I am alone in my optimism of this team and the fact that Benford should get more than one year before judgement. Last year he inherited 2 "stars" who didn't know how to make grades and, in my opinion, a cancer to the team. Not to say anything of the injuries.

Why am I the only one with any patience, it seems?

You obviously have not been following my posts from last year on if you think you are alone. You may be "brave'" to actually express a different view from the haters we have on here, but you are not alone. Some don't post or don't provide their real opinions as they just don't want the haters to try to beat them into submission with their constant hate. So, hang in there...it is only a message board, and some of these haters are really great guys when they come out from behind these avatars of theirs.

Patience grasshopper, patience...let's see how this year turns out before we place anyone on suicide watch! Ha!

• Upvote 1

Fran wanted the job, but RV blew any chance of ever getting him to come here after he chose Benny.

It was my understanding that Fran was RV's first choice, but Fran was asking more than the BOR would authorize, quite a bit more than we pay our head football coach. If that's correct, it's not as if RV spurned Fran.

• Upvote 1

Fran wouldn't inherit this ship wreck for 5 million a year.

Throw in the fact that RV chose disaster (my new word for Benford, they are synonyms, after all) over Fran, and that is just insult to injury.

We are looking at a long road (at least 5 years) before we are competitive in CUSA.

But I'm sure someone deserves a contract extension.

Proof please...on Fran that is. Can you come up with a Fran quote where he said straight out that he wanted the job and had made that known BEFORE the Benford hire? Any quotes from RV about being contacted by Fran or his agent? Anything. I have heard this line constantly, but have not seen any proof. Would be interesting. Not questioning this line of thought, just asking as I have been told there was not serious interest from Fran. Talk in the media is always suspect...let's see the facts if possible. Interesting...very interesting.

Not some yahoos's hot sports opinion...but something from the folks in question. Again, not questioning that it might have happened, just would like to see some facts...not opinions. Like I say, lots of talk

It was my understanding that Fran was RV's first choice, but Fran was asking more than the BOR would authorize, quite a bit more than we pay our head football coach. If that's correct, it's not as if RV spurned Fran.

Hmmmmm...had not heard this one. That might be the answer...he wanted it, but wanted way more than UNT was willing to pay. Again, I have no clue, but would love to see some factual confirmation one way or the other. Where did you get this info...from a member of the BOR? That would be decent info.

Hmmmmm...had not heard this one. That might be the answer...he wanted it, but wanted way more than UNT was willing to pay. Again, I have no clue, but would love to see some factual confirmation one way or the other. Where did you get this info...from a member of the BOR? That would be decent info.

To be honest, I don't remember now where I heard that. . . . it's been close to two years now. But no, I certainly did not get it directly from a member of the BOR. So take it with a healthy grain of salt. But he was making far more working with ESPN than we have ever paid a head basketball coach. So regardless, I doubt that we ever could have come to a financial agreement with him unless he was willing to take a huge pay cut to get back into coaching. And if he really wanted to get back into coaching, there are probably places he could coach without having to take a huge pay cut.

Proof please...on Fran that is. Can you come up with a Fran quote where he said straight out that he wanted the job and had made that known BEFORE the Benford hire? Any quotes from RV about being contacted by Fran or his agent? Anything. I have heard this line constantly, but have not seen any proof. Would be interesting. Not questioning this line of thought, just asking as I have been told there was not serious interest from Fran. Talk in the media is always suspect...let's see the facts if possible. Interesting...very interesting.

Not some yahoos's hot sports opinion...but something from the folks in question. Again, not questioning that it might have happened, just would like to see some facts...not opinions. Like I say, lots of talk

Fran is easily accessible, he lives in the area he's pretty easy to find if you know where to look. He's passionate about the program, especially about the Dallas kids on the team.

You obviously have not been following my posts from last year on if you think you are alone. You may be "brave'" to actually express a different view from the haters we have on here, but you are not alone. Some don't post or don't provide their real opinions as they just don't want the haters to try to beat them into submission with their constant hate. So, hang in there...it is only a message board, and some of these haters are really great guys when they come out from behind these avatars of theirs.

Patience grasshopper, patience...let's see how this year turns out before we place anyone on suicide watch! Ha!

I appreciate that KRAM1. I hadn't even considered people on the board "haters," I am confident the board is full of great guys and I know some IRL. And I have no problem being "brave" if for nothing else than to keep a UNT conversation going.

Here's to a great season!

No, it's RV's fault for:

1) not convincing the BOR to pay for a real coach. That is his job as AD.

2) settling on an assistant when he told us a thousand times we were done hiring assistant.

You can keep apologizing for RV if you want, but this is squarely in his shoulders.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Fran is easily accessible, he lives in the area he's pretty easy to find if you know where to look. He's passionate about the program, especially about the Dallas kids on the team.

Yes, that much we all pretty much knew...not quite the definitive answer I was looking for in this discussion. Do you have any factual information on the question itself? Seems you felt like he was "the guy" and was turned down afer expressing solid interest. Any idea at what price?

No, it's RV's fault for:

2) settling on an assistant when he told us a thousand times we were done hiring assistant.

You can keep apologizing for RV if you want, but this is squarely in his shoulders.

Sort of like the Coach Mac hire...I am thinking he's responsible for that hire as well. Can you do me a search of all the D-1 NCAA schools and how the coach hires turned out at those schools? You can just focus on basketba;l if you would like so as to narrow it down a bit. Since you don't like this hire (understatement of the year perhaps), maybe you can research the AD's who made some questionable hires at other D-1 schools since hiring people in any profession is truly scientific and fool proof, right?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

No, it's RV's fault for:

Wait . . . am I being called an R.V. apologist? That's a first! :bounce: