Southern Miss to start true freshman at QB vs North Texas

NT03

most of those yards (after the first drive) UNT was fine giving up... they were in third and long situations, so NT covered the receivers, but gave him 8 yards or so of running room, which would leave him 2 or 3 yards short of the first down... they weren't giving him free reign to run where he wanted to...

UNT was playing smart D that night, they knew Grammar wasn't going to beat them with his legs

I thought I remembered more than a few first downs and I thought the touchdown came on a scramble. It didn't matter and it wasn't catastrophic, but we can do better than that. Our defense is stout.

Most people don't expect us to win even with Mullens in. We are just looking for improvement at this point. Bridgford was a statue qb. Did not move at all! We are extremely thin at OL so this was BAD! He also stared down his primary receiver. He was awful. Even though Mullens was playing against ECU's back ups you could see he was an intelligent qb. He went through his progressions, he looked off defenders, pump faked, was aware of what was going on around him and scrambled when he had too. He also was engaged with the other players, and seemed to have the leader quality that Bridgford lacked.

He will make mistakes, but should do much better than Bridgford. I think Monken knew all along that Mullens would be something special some day, but I think he was grooming him to make sure he wouldn't lose his confidence. I feels he is ready now, and we will soon find out. He will have to build some experience and now is the perfect time to start with this season being shot.

To address the qb situation last year, Alford was a good athlete, but if you go back and look at his high school stats he was more of a running back than a quarterback. He couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. Without the ability to accurately throw the ball he got eaten alive at the college level. He may have had a chance under the right coaches and without being thrown in so early as a true freshmen, but that wasn't the case. We had better qb's on the team, but his high school coach was our OC and insisted that he play. That is why the crowd turned on him. The fight from his mom was caused when someone shouted "put in a real qb". She then started dropping f bombs, was asked to leave, and was arrested later after not cooperating.

After the season Alford was arrested for fighting on campus, and a gun was found at the scene of the fight. He then transferred to Ole Miss. I think he is supposed to play LB for them.

He is not as athletic as the previous two QB's we have faced I will tell you that. He is pretty accurate with his throws. Not great arm strength. Pretty small frame. I can see him making mistakes under pressure. He wasn't heavily recruited. I'd imagine his first pass will be much like La Tech's first pass- play action go deep. He will turn out to be a decent QB, but has a long way to go. Kind of interesting that we have face 3 freshman QB's in a row two of which were red shirt.

Wow! It could have been interesting if her son had played here and heard some of our fans in the stands during the Dodge era.

The one comment my father adamantly held after joining us in Ruston last Saturday was that our fan base was the most critical he had ever heard. I explained in depth about the reasons why this is. He also couldn't believe the non-consecutive victory streak we held for a decade and had to bring in Firefightin'Rick & co. for backup on that one.