Bum Phillips has passed away

Greenrex

Bum did a huge favor for an ex boss (who was then a public school teacher) back when they were in Nederland. Texas. That's about all I'm going to say about that.

What an era! Never will forget that MNF game when "Luv Ya' Blue" made the national TV marquee. That was the night Earl Campbell ran with reckless abandon as they beat the Dolphins 35 to 30. That game had re-ignited my interest in "My Home Area" team who as a kid I saw play at old Jeppessen Stadium (later re-named Robertson Stadium on the UH campus).

Bum had outgrown Bud Adams and was so much more popular so the OIler's owner further enhanced his role as Houston's version of Darth Vader by firing him. Adams was never liked in Houston almost from the git-go. When they left for Tennessee most attitudes in the Houston area was: "Good riddance, you Okie' sumbich." (Adams along with Lamar Hunt were instrumental in the founding of the old AFL).

Memories, memories, memories.....Adams would give his high Oiler draftees a Phillips 66 gas station as a bonus.

Never forgot the Oilers riding their buses into a packed out Astrodome late at night after returning from a Steeler's loss while Phillips cried like a baby he got so emotional. (My guess is that Bud Adams was in the Dome at the same time trying to find a way to sell popcorn to the crowd).

I'm sure Coach Fry has shed a few over his buddy, too. Seems that Fry offered Bum a job as a coordinator at North Texas but my memory is getting cloudy as to the reason Bum declined--most likely the NFL. Can you only imagine being in the same room with Fry and Phillips as they reminisced and talked football? I would have paid admission to have been in that room.

RIP, Bum! We always luv'ed ya', too.

bumoil.jpg

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Here's another little tidbit on Bum-

Bum was from Nederland, Tx,, coached at Nederland HS, and he coached at Port Neches-Groves HS. The two cities, literally across the road from one another, battle each year on the gridiron, a game that is known as "Mid-County Madness". It's a really big rivalry in SE Texas. Bum Phillips died at the age of 90. Coincidentally, last night was the 90th meeting between Port Neches-Groves and Nederland on the gridiron.

And...

"Streets in both towns Nederland and Port Neches Avenues are known as "Bum Phillips Way." Phillips attended a street dedication in both cities on Sept. 30, 2011, before attending the Mid-County Madness game that year between Nederland and Port Neches-Groves."

Bum was a legend in these parts of the state.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 1