Official USMNT Rio 2014 Thread

Just as a little context to this, you are comparing a game with little to no competition from other sports or major television events (no new TV shows of consequence as they have taken a summer break) that is an international, once every four year, event that couples with patriotism and compared it to a sport that has competition from other sports/games within the sport and new episodes from popular TV shows that has a fragmented audience (different fans don't always watch games for other teams they have no interest in) that has a large inventory of games each year. The comparison seems to be a little skewed. Once EPL or MLS start to out draw College Football, then we may be able to make a more fair comparison.

Not saying that the World Cup wasn't a great event and should not have drawn viewers, but I don't think that the TV ratings comparison is a fair one.

Nice context. When is the next college football game played on a Tuesday at 3?

Nice context. When is the next college football game played on a Tuesday at 3?

What college football game represents the entire USA?

Look, I dig the World Cup. I also love the Olympics. Most people don't watch Track and Field if it's not at the Olympics (I do - gotta love Universal Sports Network). While soccer obviously has a much larger following than most Olympic sports, the concept is the same.

• Upvote 1

What college football game represents the entire USA?

Look, I dig the World Cup. I also love the Olympics. Most people don't watch Track and Field if it's not at the Olympics (I do - gotta love Universal Sports Network). While soccer obviously has a much larger following than most Olympic sports, the concept is the same.

I don't like the Olympics comparison. There is no league in which you can see those athletes on a weekly basis the same way you can at Toyota Stadium or Sporting Park. I MIGHT see Michael Phelps if he happens to be in Dallas for a meet once in a blue moon, but I can see my local soccer club every week on TV and in person 15-20 times a year. Sure it's not World Cup quality, nothing really is except UEFA Champions League. But there's no similar culture in track n field or swimming that there is in soccer.

Who is them, the EPL? Because they do have loads that come up through the youth system, although those with the bigger clubs find it much harder to break through to the 1st team at 18-21. If them is referring to England then you're correct right now, although I think they'll be a contender for Euro 2016.

England. And I would agree that on paper they appear to be a contender. But that is no different than every major European or International tournament that they enter. They are either perrenial under-achievers or over-rated simply by measure of their players being on EPL rosters.

I really thought that this year they would make some noise, simply due to the trio of Sturridge, Welbeck and Rooney starting together up top. That looks like a nightmare lineup for most defenses, but for all the quality that they possess, they couldn't find a way to get those guys the ball in dangerous spots. The complete misuse of Rooney over the years has become almost comical. Dropping him deep this year was just awful. I don't know if it's lousy coaching, or that they really don't have that killer CM that can link things up for them. Though the roster suggests they are not lacking for options, they never seem to find the right fit once they get on the field.

My thoughts on the soccer ratings debate are simply that the sport is absolutely growing, and continues to grow. Trying to compare ratings in an age where the Nielsen system is still used is fundamentally flawed.

Also, I don't need to see WC ratings to know that I can watch every single EPL game live on television, a good chunk of Bundesliga and La Liga games, every single UEFA Champions league game, most of UEFA, most major international team tournaments, etc. These are all options because people are tuning in and advertisers and providers are noticing and reacting. Almost none of this was available 10 years ago. It started with a trickle, and now you're seeing US providers clamoring for more and more content constantly.

Then go look at some of the best supported MLS teams (Seattle, Portland, KC, Philly, Cleveland, etc) and there is no denying that there is a growing audience for US based leagues.

All the World Cup numbers are going to do is reinforce advertisers and providers that their money is well spent on soccer programming, and they will re-up---which in turn will continue to fuel more growth in the US.

England. And I would agree that on paper they appear to be a contender. But that is no different than every major European or International tournament that they enter. They are either perrenial under-achievers or over-rated simply by measure of their players being on EPL rosters.

I really thought that this year they would make some noise, simply due to the trio of Sturridge, Welbeck and Rooney starting together up top. That looks like a nightmare lineup for most defenses, but for all the quality that they possess, they couldn't find a way to get those guys the ball in dangerous spots. The complete misuse of Rooney over the years has become almost comical. Dropping him deep this year was just awful. I don't know if it's lousy coaching, or that they really don't have that killer CM that can link things up for them. Though the roster suggests they are not lacking for options, they never seem to find the right fit once they get on the field.

Most years I'd agree with this statement...but I think this was a transitional year for the English national team. The English "style" is in the midst of revolution...the days of long-ball, set-piece and hopeful-cross are nearing their end...players like Sturridge, Lallana, Wilshere, Sterling and Barkley (as well as injured guys like Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain) want to play (and are capable of) a more eye-appealing style of football...a more continental style.

In my opinion, Hodgson's biggest failure this year was not committing more to any one style, but attempting to mix in old guard with the new kids.

As to Rooney...yes, he is a bit of an enigma when it comes to his international career, but the pressure and the blame he absorbs from the English media is beyond insane. Rooney is not why England went home...he's never been given the chance to really lead the line, yet he's carried the burden for England's lack of goals.

Most years I'd agree with this statement...but I think this was a transitional year for the English national team. The English "style" is in the midst of revolution...the days of long-ball, set-piece and hopeful-cross are nearing their end...players like Sturridge, Lallana, Wilshere, Sterling and Barkley (as well as injured guys like Walcott and Oxlade-Chamberlain) want to play (and are capable of) a more eye-appealing style of football...a more continental style.

In my opinion, Hodgson's biggest failure this year was not committing more to any one style, but attempting to mix in old guard with the new kids.

As to Rooney...yes, he is a bit of an enigma when it comes to his international career, but the pressure and the blame he absorbs from the English media is beyond insane. Rooney is not why England went home...he's never been given the chance to really lead the line, yet he's carried the burden for England's lack of goals.

Good post. And you hit on the biggest problem for England---their press is absolutely out of control and has entirely too much weight and concern given to pleasing them over fielding the best team possible.

It's pretty obvious that Rooney is not being put in position to do what he does best---which is relentlessly hound defenders and attack in the box. The fact that he takes all (or most) of the blame is definitely out of line.

So somebody give me an American sports equivalent of 5-0 at halftime in world cup soccer. That's like more goals in one half than were scored in the rest of the non-shootout tournament combined.

40-0 at halftime. You can score a few TDs to look better, but you're not coming back from it.

Edited by Coffee and TV

40-0 at halftime. You can score a few TDs to look better, but you're not coming back from it.

No way, the average nfl game has 5.8 TD's, the average EPL game has 2.8 goals. (I know thats EPL and not WC, but couldn't find WC stats.)

Thats about a 2 TD to goal ratio.

So the average EPL half is 1.4 goals, so this is 3.5 times the normal amount of goals scored in a half. 3.5 times the normal NFL half TDs is (2.9 * 3.5) ~= 10 TDs.

This is 70 - 0 at half.

ETA: At the half of an NFL game, not a college football game. The NFL is lower scoring and has more parity than CFB.

AND this is also the quarterfinals, in effect the NFL's conference championship, so this is as shocking as if the Denver Broncos were beating the New England patriots 70-0 at half.

ETA2: And Germany has now scored two more goals. Most goals scored in a WC semi.

ETA3: Wait forgot there is a 2 TD to goal ratio. It's actually 140 to 0 at half. This is closing in on the 1915 Tennessee 222 - Cumberland Tech 0 score.

Edited by Cerebus