The Break Down (Tulane vs. UNT)

Mean_Green09

Appreciate y'alls comments. I enjoy doing the work. This week was a little pressed since my Browns were on last night. You watch Tulane and you wonder how they won 3 games. Honestly we should dominate these guys, but that's why they play the games. Conference road games are always tricky. If UNT stays focused and composed and plays the way they are capable of there should be no issues.

• Upvote 3

Thanks for being better at scouting than this guy:

Scott Kushner:

North Texas currently ranks last in total defense, allowing 488 yards per game. It allowed 40 points to Idaho in the opening week of the season. This is a solid opponent but it isn't exactly the '01 Canes. UNT can make plays on special teams and can strike fast with a solid offense but there are definitely some weaknesses on the defensive line and secondary which has allowed 314 yards per game through the air.

40 points to Idaho? Is he high?

Keep in mind this guy works for a newspaper.

Edited by meangreenthirteen

Thanks for being better at scouting than this guy:

Scott Kushner:

North Texas currently ranks last in total defense, allowing 488 yards per game. It allowed 40 points to Idaho in the opening week of the season. This is a solid opponent but it isn't exactly the '01 Canes. UNT can make plays on special teams and can strike fast with a solid offense but there are definitely some weaknesses on the defensive line and secondary which has allowed 314 yards per game through the air.

40 points to Idaho? Is he high?

Keep in mind this guy works for a newspaper.

Yiiiiiiiiikes.

We are North Texas, not many people other than a coach or player are going to watch us. So they don't know until till one of our guys smacks one of theirs. Then its like oh my these guys can play. You have to throw out our yards giving up in my opinion. Look at the QB's that we have played so far this year:

Idaho Chad Chalich - 1111 yards 4 TD's 0 Ints

Ohio Tyler Tettleton - 858 yards 6 TD's 2 Ints

Ball St. Keith Wenning - 1650 yards 9 TD's 3 Ints

Georgia Aaron Murray - 1338 yards 11 TD's 3 Ints

Two of these guys are going to play in the pro's. We have faced some pretty good offenses. So to just come out and say that our defense is a weakness is just not understanding the situation. Numbers tell one part of the story, but the film don't lie bro. You could very well point to our record and say that we are where we are because our defense has played well. Have they been perfect, no. They are though a lot better than the outside media gives us credit for.

• Upvote 3

Their front seven save for the Nose is pretty undersized and I would hope that leads to more open running lanes. Do they run the 3-3-5 as their base set? Maybe I am just reading the chart wrong but the 3 linebackers range from 190-210 lbs. and the extra OLB/DB is 190 as well.

We need to run the ball and use our size at OL & TE to win this game, end of story. I'm not sure the passing lanes are going to be there the way the were against Ball State & Idaho.

Yes the 3-3-5 was the base set that I saw against ULM. They are small, but play fast. I was just shocked at how ULM just sat in 4 and 5 wide sets and didn't try to run at all. Even when they saw a big blitz coming there were no hot routes or changes in protection. ULM just let guys run right past them.

If our big guys get engaged on their front seven it's going to be wide open lanes. With such an aggressive defense don't be shocked to see UNT gash them on big plays. Tulane is almost got the mind set that sooner or later your going to make a mistake against us. A great QB would torch this team.

Grant is good no doubt, but beyond that I felt like UNT had more depth and play making ability. Part of their problem is the QB not getting them the ball. Harris Chancellor and Smith will make more plays in this game then their group. It's not a huge advantage but it's one that I feel like was there after watching their game.

Edited by Mean_Green09
  • Upvote 1

I had a funny (?) thought about what others have said about our defense and decided to put it here...yeah, our secondary has given up the long strikes a few times and has been called "slow". But if they keep hitting the way they have been...that gets into your head. If they can get guys to start thinking about how much they don't want to be hit REALLY hard, that may take their focus away and the speed issue can be managed a bit more.

Some guys are balls-to-the-wall every second of whatever sport they play and have no fear of pain. But some are scared of getting hurt. I'm sure these guys have watched plenty of film and a couple of them might start to wilt a bit when the hits start coming. That's one of those intangibles you really can't factor into the stats...though it might help explain why our defense usually looks better and better as the game progresses.