Think the Rangers are done?

• 2 weeks later...

Don't look now, but the little Rangers have won 6 in a row, and with Tampa Bay down 7-1 in the 6th inning, it looks like the Rangers will enter the last day of the regular season tied for at least one wild card spot (CLE-MN rain delayed and yet to start) with Darvish on the mound.

Like their chances now?

Chances to get into a play in game, sure. But this new wildcard format is pretty punishing. Forces you to use up your number one before starting the division series. Reminds me a bit of the losers bracket in college ball. It's a pretty deep hole. Another sweet baseball gimmick brought to you by overlord Selig.

What happens if TB wins today (already up big), Texas wins and CLE loses? That is a 3 way tie.

Anyone know the tiebreakers and how that mess would work?

Chances to get into a play in game, sure. But this new wildcard format is pretty punishing. Forces you to use up your number one before starting the division series. Reminds me a bit of the losers bracket in college ball. It's a pretty deep hole. Another sweet baseball gimmick brought to you by overlord Selig.

I actually like it - because it puts the premium back on winning your division.

• Upvote 2

It's a fair point, but then I'd almost just rather see four divisions. I'm a cranky old man who remembers when it actually meant something to get in the playoffs at all in baseball. I really dislike all this everybody included nonsense.

Ten teams is actually still a less of a percentage than any other sport. And I do remember the pre-1995 expansion of the playoffs to. I mean, I might have been younger but i was still in High school!

I still maintain the one game playoff is good because you DON'T want to have to play in it. When there is a really strong division with multiple teams making it in, it got to be sort of a "who cares" factor is who won or got the wild card. The AL East for example with Boston and NY in the early 00's.. Sure, you still wanted to win for pride, but that was about it.

Now it really matters.

Great win today and they won in spite of some of Wash's bonehead decisions. How about Josh tipping his hat out to the crowd after his last AB and out of the season? What a douche.

I thought he was just honestly acknowledging the fan's applause for him sucking while taking 10 million a year in Angels payroll.

A well deserved ovation it was.

Bet he is out of the league in 2 or 3 years.

Edited by UNT90

I thought he was just honestly acknowledging the fan's applause for him sucking while taking 10 million a year in Angels payroll.

A well deserved ovation it was.

Bet he is out of the league in 2 or 3 years.

Josh just called...says he'll take you up on the bet...$100,000... He wants me to hold the money. Said his check was in the mail. Wants to know when I can expect yours?

Told him I thought you were right, but he wants you to put up the cash anyway. Need my address? Or, I can just meet you at the game where you pay me the $500 for the bet we already have. It will still be the baseball off-season so that would still be good. Done deal?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Two dudes that won two of the last four games for you... Profar with the walk off HR last Thrusday,.. And Soto, who went 2 for 3 with 2 rbi's inuding the winning RBI yesterday,.. and both sit the bench tonight for a guy who hasn't played in nearly two months and goes 0-4.

That makes sense!

Rick

Agree...and Rangers really made a statement...and not a very good one in my opinion...of what they think of the whole PED thing. Really sad...the guy went 0-fer! As expected after not seeing major league pitching in, what...say 50 games! Yep, let's crack down on drug fueled players in the dugout...well, unless you are the Rangers and think they might help you win a game! Sad!

• Upvote 1

Agree...and Rangers really made a statement...and not a very good one in my opinion...of what they think of the whole PED thing. Really sad...the guy went 0-fer! As expected after not seeing major league pitching in, what...say 50 games! Yep, let's crack down on drug fueled players in the dugout...well, unless you are the Rangers and think they might help you win a game! Sad!

So 50 games was not enough punishment? How long should Cruz be punished? The Rangers absolutely sent the right message, they were trying to win.

And of course you insert him in your lineup as a DH (please not in the field). He's the only power bat you have... especially with Beltre nursing a hammy. Hindsight's 20/20 though, and he didn't come through... still a risk you've gotta take.

I'll pull for whoever wins tonight to take the AL, but... CHOP!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

So 50 games was not enough punishment? How long should Cruz be punished? The Rangers absolutely sent the right message, they were trying to win.

And of course you insert him in your lineup as a DH (please not in the field). He's the only power bat you have... especially with Beltre nursing a hammy. Hindsight's 20/20 though, and he didn't come through... still a risk you've gotta take.

I'll pull for whoever wins tonight to take the AL, but... CHOP!

Didn't say 50 games was't enough. Show me where I said that...I said the Rangers were showing where they stand on the whole issue of PED's.

And as to trying to win and taking risks....I'd play the guys who have been hitting somewhat decently against major league pitching on a regular basis rather than some guy who had not seen it in say...,50 games and a couple of months! Risk, you say? The risk WAS in playing Cruz...they played Cruz in the hopes they can sign him next season! If they wanted to win...well, go with Profar and Soto. Power or lack there of was not anywhere near the problem last night. Hits...singles, RBI's...getting on base was! Power worked well for Cruz and the Rangers last night, right? Trying to win, my rear end...trying to keep Cruz a Ranger more like it. Don't want to hack off your PED poster child in what may be the last game of the year, right? Cheating isn great for the games...as long as you win, right? I guess the Ranger brass think so!

• Upvote 1