McCarney: UNT needs to improve efficiency

Harry

DENTON UNT head coach Dan McCarney said the Mean Green must improve its efficiency offensively following a 27-21 loss to Ohio last week.

UNT converted just four of its 14 third downs, turned the ball over four times and averaged just 2.7 yards per rushing attempt.

Read more: http://collegesportsblog.dallasnews.com/2013/09/mccarney-unt-needs-to-improve-efficiency.html/

QB: Thompson; Sr.

RB: Byrd; Sr.

WR: Chancellor; Sr. & Smith; Sr.

TE: Miller; Sr.

OL: Anyiam; Sr.

DE: Sarge/Bellazin; Sr.

DT: Abbe/Boutwell; Sr.

LB: Orr/Wright; Sr.

DB: Trice/Jackson; Sr.

I am sorry, but I don't buy into the the "senior laden" team arguement. Sure, we have some key pieces that will graduate this year and I don't mean to diminish any of the players listed above but outside of Chancellor and the Dline, I am not worried about the talent level drop. The worries about the Dline are more about depth, because Mac needs to find some beef for the middle of the line.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

I am sorry, but I don't buy into the the "senior laden" team arguement. Sure, we have some key pieces that will graduate this year and I don't mean to diminish any of the players listed above but outside of Chancellor and the Dline, I am not worried about the talent level drop. The worries about the Dline are more about depth, because Mac needs to find some beef for the middle of the line.

...or, change the scheme to a three-man front so that his inability to attract beef for a four-man scheme won't be so noticeable.

I agree with Lifer and to a degree with TFLF.

TFLF brings up a good point with the 3 man front. However, the biggest problem is the nose guard. That is quite possibly the most important position in the entire scheme. If you plug in a 260 lb defensive tackle at nose guard because we don't have any big kids who can play then that makes things difficult on the rest of the defense.

You need multiple 290+ kids to rotate in that nose. Taking on double teams every play takes a toll, even on the big boys. We just aren't getting the big bodies to pull that off right now either.

I agree with Lifer and to a degree with TFLF.

TFLF brings up a good point with the 3 man front. However, the biggest problem is the nose guard. That is quite possibly the most important position in the entire scheme. If you plug in a 260 lb defensive tackle at nose guard because we don't have any big kids who can play then that makes things difficult on the rest of the defense.

You need multiple 290+ kids to rotate in that nose. Taking on double teams every play takes a toll, even on the big boys. We just aren't getting the big bodies to pull that off right now either.

Abbe goes 320+.

This guy is the starting nose tackle for BYU, who just beat the snot out of Texas:

http://byucougars.com/athlete/m-football/eathyn-manumaleuna

He's 6-2, 305...smaller than Abbe.

In OU's 3-3-5, they've been running out there this year, they have a starting linebacker who creeps down to the DE position who goes 6-0/219.

I agree that size in middle is important, and we have that. Everywhere else, it's being disciplined in scheme. That's how those guys in Utah have made BYU successful, Utah successful...and, of late, even Utah State. They know they don't have enough bodies for a successful foru man front, so they don't even fight that battle anymore.

Lord, even Alabama uses a three man front. I'm not saying it will make us the next BYU or Utah overnight. But, hell's bells, if OU, playing the competition they will face are comfortable creeping a 219 pound linebacker into a DE spot to create some havoc...?

I've harped on Mac's biggest shortcoming being his inability to recruit big guys for that four man line. And, it's a legitimate beef. Every coach in college will tell you those guy are hard to find. Well, if the Nick Sabans and Bob Stoopses of the world are saying, "screw it...we'll try to get pressure with a three man line" that should be sending some sort of message.

Here in Texas, isn't a 40-21 blowout of the "Flagship School's" football team by a smaller defense not message enough? Utah rising out of nowhere to jump out of the WAC/MWC mess into the Pac 12? Not even Boise State has managed that.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch

How about if he had said 'experienced' team rather than senior-laden?

OL Johnson, Lemon, Y'Barbo (2 letters)

LB Akunne (2 letters)

DB Lee (2), Whitfield (1)

This is a two-part comment from Rick...If a team with this experience can't correct mistakes in a very uncomplicated offense and defense then how do you expect to improve next year when your key people are gone?

North Texas is one of the most experienced teams in the nation and if they're still making critical mistakes? Why?

The big gap in experience next year is quarterback. The only 'experienced' quarterback will be McNulty. To me, that's scary. At linebacker, only Akunne will have more than a tablespoon of experience. Defensive line will be a real unknown but that's already a weak point. I don' consider running back a strength either. If we have power backs who can't get past the line of scrimmage, where is that a plus? We lose four wide receivers; two of them the most productive that we have. Only Harris has much of a record/experience. Every position except for offensive linemen and defensive backs is suspect.

There are 18 seniors. It may not be technically 'senior-laden' but it's as near as we usually have at the least.

• Upvote 2

How about if he had said 'experienced' team rather than senior-laden?

OL Johnson, Lemon, Y'Barbo (2 letters)

LB Akunne (2 letters)

DB Lee (2), Whitfield (1)

This is a two-part comment from Rick...If a team with this experience can't correct mistakes in a very uncomplicated offense and defense then how do you expect to improve next year when your key people are gone?

There are 18 seniors. It may not be technically 'senior-laden' but it's as near as we usually have at the least.

Correct.

Earlier I seemed to have miscounted senior starters. Now I only count 6 on offense, and three others who are rotating as back ups. So 'senior-laden',... 'experienced',... whatever anyone wants to call it,.....the bottom line is,...this offense has to replace 9 of it's 11 producers next year including it's QB, top back and 3 of its top 4 receivers,.. which includes Chancellor, Darnell Smith and Lynrick Pleasant.

Next year is a rebuilder any way you slice it.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Abbe goes 320+.

This guy is the starting nose tackle for BYU, who just beat the snot out of Texas:

http://byucougars.com/athlete/m-football/eathyn-manumaleuna

He's 6-2, 305...smaller than Abbe.

In OU's 3-3-5, they've been running out there this year, they have a starting linebacker who creeps down to the DE position who goes 6-0/219.

I agree that size in middle is important, and we have that. Everywhere else, it's being disciplined in scheme. That's how those guys in Utah have made BYU successful, Utah successful...and, of late, even Utah State. They know they don't have enough bodies for a successful foru man front, so they don't even fight that battle anymore.

Lord, even Alabama uses a three man front. I'm not saying it will make us the next BYU or Utah overnight. But, hell's bells, if OU, playing the competition they will face are comfortable creeping a 219 pound linebacker into a DE spot to create some havoc...?

I've harped on Mac's biggest shortcoming being his inability to recruit big guys for that four man line. And, it's a legitimate beef. Every coach in college will tell you those guy are hard to find. Well, if the Nick Sabans and Bob Stoopses of the world are saying, "screw it...we'll try to get pressure with a three man line" that should be sending some sort of message.

Here in Texas, isn't a 40-21 blowout of the "Flagship School's" football team by a smaller defense not message enough? Utah rising out of nowhere to jump out of the WAC/MWC mess into the Pac 12? Not even Boise State has managed that.

It's not likely that we'll have a change to a 3-man front by next year, but there is a 0% chance that we will be running one by the end of the year. Abbe will be gone and next year that'll leave us with just Sir Calvin as our only 290+ defensive lineman.

And we just aren't bringing any big lineman to rotate in. We don't have any guys who are truly big enough to play nose in our current scheme besides Abbe and Wallace, and of course Abbe is going to be gone after this year.

Correct.

Earlier I seemed to have miscounted senior starters. Now I only count 6 on offense, and three others who are rotating as back ups. So 'senior-laden',... 'experienced',... whatever anyone wants to call it,.....the bottom line is,...this offense has to replace 9 of it's 11 producers next year including it's QB, top back and 3 of its top 4 receivers,.. which includes Chancellor, Darnell Smith and Lynrick Pleasant.

Next year is a rebuilder any way you slice it.

Rick

Rebuild or reload?

Joking aside, this season is young. I imagine we will see at least 1-2, maybe 3-4 guys starting to emerge as the clear positional starters for next year as this season goes on to fill those holes listed above. Including QB.

• Upvote 2

Rebuild or reload?

Joking aside, this season is young. I imagine we will see at least 1-2, maybe 3-4 guys starting to emerge as the clear positional starters for next year as this season goes on to fill those holes listed above. Including QB.

Biggest issue will be wr. Qb, rb, te will not be a big deal to replace.

Wow, we bitch a lot about how thin the DL is but next season we're going to be even thinner and that's hard to comprehend. I guess we'll plug in Austin Orr for Abbe (-50 lbs) and Lincoln for Boutwell (+20 lb.) and hope that by some miracle a combination of Haboul, Sir Calvin, Dutton Watson and Syd Moore will form a formidable rotation inside. I'm not writing off the young guys but it could be a while before we see another all conference player at DT.

• Upvote 1

I disagree with the assumption that these Seniors will be sorely missed as far as bringing less turnovers and more success. As a unit they have collectively failed over and over again. Give the younger players a shot, unless these supposed team leaders begin to lead from the front. That bring said the O-line has been outstanding given the circumstances.

• Downvote 1