Just how big is the Ohio game? Huge

Harry

Every once in a while a team runs into a swing game. Win it and things start to look pretty promising. Lose it, and its easy to start looking at the potential pitfalls of the future.

UNTs game at Ohio certainly qualifies.

UNT hammered Idaho last week and can move to 2-0 with a win over the Bobcats, a good MAC team that has won bowl games the last couple of years. Ohio was hammered by Louisville last week and is pretty banged up.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/09/just-how-big-is-the-ohio-game-huge.html/

That pre-season forecast that put UNT at 9-3 has the Ohio game as one of the three losses. We are still 5.5 points underdogs in this one. A win for UNT would be HUGE, but a narrow loss would not be devastating except to ponder what could have been. In case you're wondering, that forecast also has us losing to Georgia and Tulsa. I disagree with Brett that a win at Ohio is needed for a winning season. That said, this game is a huge opportunity.

I, and I am sure most of you, want this one badly.

• Upvote 1

To me this is a PERCEPTION game that could really help us with the “casual” fans and those not directly tied the program. The team took care of business against Idaho in such a way that people who usually don’t pay attention to us, or follow us casually, saw just enough to think that “maybe” something is going on in Denton. If we could pull out “W’s” in the next couple of games I think it could really help the perception people have of the program.

• Upvote 7

I think its real big for the team and our fans. If we win, it will give us all more confidence in Coach Mac and the future of this program getting better. Unfortunately, though, beating Ohio U won't make the local non-DRC media move the needle anymore than Idaho did, just because most of them don't care or don't know if Ohio is any better than Idaho. But, it would be very important for us to, at bare minimum, compete with Ohio for 4 quarters and keep it respectable.

A bad loss, I fear, just makes the morale of the fanbase and team feel like its the same verse, different year all over again.

I think Ohio is really good and will win this game, especially since its up there. But a close, competitive loss in Athens, Ohio followed by a win over Ball State at home would make me think a 6-wins or better season is in reach. And that gets Coach Mac an extension, which I think is very much deserved if he can get us up to 6 wins or more.

Just remember that as awesome as we looked against Idaho, it was still Idaho. There may not be 5 teams in FBS worse than them. We did what he should have done to a bad team that we bought a game with--just like Georgia will feel when they play us in a few weeks. But the schedule ahead has no one else as bad as the Vandals. We are gonna have to keep improving and hope we stay somewhat healthy as the year moves on.

To me this is a PERCEPTION game that could really help us with the “casual” fans and those not directly tied the program. The team took care of business against Idaho in such a way that people who usually don’t pay attention to us, or follow us casually, saw just enough to think that “maybe” something is going on in Denton. If we could pull out “W’s” in the next couple of games I think it could really help the perception people have of the program.

:thumbsu: Yes!

Yet I do think in our case it will take a winning season before we get that groups attention, El Paso Eagle, but so be it if that's the case. A win over a truly major program (again) will really cause us to have to enlarge the bandwagon a little quicker, though, but...........one step at at time.

As Joe Kennedy told his his sons, “it's not what you are but what people think you are that counts.”

Yes, many of us have heard this quote most all our lives, but what about the perception part being all about exactly who you are? I suppose at that point it no longer is perception, right? :rolleyes:

Go Mean Green !

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

:thumbsu: Yes!

Yet I do think in our case it will take a winning season before we get that groups attention, El Paso Eagle, but so be it if that's the case. A win over a truly major program (again) will really cause us to have to enlarge the bandwagon a little quicker, though, but...........one step at at time.

As Joe Kennedy told his his sons, “it's not what you are but what people think you are that counts.”

Yes, many of us have heard this quote most all our lives, but what about the perception part being all about exactly who you are? I suppose at that point it no longer is perception, right? :rolleyes:

Go Mean Green !

Could you imagine waht it would be like around here if we were to head into the Georgia game undefeated and then give them a game (not saying a win, but jst play them within a TD)? I know its a complete pipedream, but it would be almost unchartered waters around here. If that couldn't get the attention of the UNT Family and the DFW sports media, then nothing would. But wouldn't it be fun to find out what that would be like!! You only get to dream these things when you win your opener!!

• Upvote 1

Could you imagine waht it would be like around here if we were to head into the Georgia game undefeated and then give them a game (not saying a win, but jst play them within a TD)? I know its a complete pipedream, but it would be almost unchartered waters around here. If that couldn't get the attention of the UNT Family and the DFW sports media, then nothing would. But wouldn't it be fun to find out what that would be like!! You only get to dream these things when you win your opener!!

If that could happen then we'd be favored or have a very good (legitimately) to win each game for the rest of the season.

The depth on this team will really come into play this season, especially as we get later in the year. By Mac keeping the guys he signs and developing them, he has developed a true D1 team with depth.

It's a big game...starting 2-0 then going into Ball State on FSN could be huge. The time + temperature will still hurt attendance, however, if we win, the potential to go 3-0 could be freaking fantastic.

I think we need to win but if we lose it's not a huge deal because if we can beat Ball State even a 2-2 OOC would give us an excellent chance of getting to 6 wins.

• Upvote 2

Here is the deal.

A WIN in this game is huge. If we lose, which is probable (rip the betting public, not me), it is not huge unless we lose huge. This is not a game we are expected to win.

Winning would be the HUGEST win in the last 8 years of this program, but a close loss? Meh, pretty much what was expected.

Here is hoping that this is a HUGE WIN.

Wow! I totally agree with UNT90. I'm in disbelief. I almost sense a glimmer of hope/optimistic possibility in your post. +1

Going 2-2 into CUSA play is ok. Anything more is extra gravy.

Wait a minute. I think we will beat Ohio.

Going 3-1 into CUSA play would be great. Anything more is extra gravy.

Edited by casual fan

I've gotta say, this feels like a low-risk, high-reward game. At the very least, I expect us to hang with Ohio for all four quarters. But there's a big part of me that feels we have a good chance at going up there and beating them. I really like our chances.

If we lose, but played a good game I will feel alright about it. But if we win, I'll be on cloud nine.

For you financial guys, this game feels like we've bought a call option at a very low premium. If we lose, we're out the premium price, which was not much. But if we win, the profit could be through the roof.

-- Stephen

• Upvote 1