The need for more hype during UNT games

bleedgreen4ever

God, I hated the Seven Nation Army intro they used Saturday. The old one sucked but at least the students would dance and rock out to it.

What we need to do is what my dear ol' Texans do, do Down With the Sickness. The intro builds tension then when the monkey wail thing starts you have the team run out.

Sounds ridiculous until you hear it at Reliant then you just want to rush the field and break out into fights.

I like Hey Baby...when we're winning it always gets turned into "are you gonna be my b...(female dog)."

Provides some good laughs.

God, I hated the Seven Nation Army intro they used Saturday. The old one sucked but at least the students would dance and rock out to it.

What we need to do is what my dear ol' Texans do, do Down With the Sickness. The intro builds tension then when the monkey wail thing starts you have the team run out.

Sounds ridiculous until you hear it at Reliant then you just want to rush the field and break out into fights.

I like Hey Baby...when we're winning it always gets turned into "are you gonna be my b...(female dog)."

Provides some good laughs.

Yeah, I didn't like the timing nor what the song did for excitement (seven nation army song). However, I would rather go with a song like 300 Violin Orchestra as an entrance song.

Perhaps the down with the sickness song can be played between quarters during first or second half, but also like the song I posted above -- the zombie nation remix. On top of all that we could still keep the Hey Baby, there's time for it all throughout the game.

Here's what I'm saying.

It's kind of hard to hear.

http://youtu.be/7FLbtkfA864

Swap defense and offense out each week, announce the players with the song playing in the background. Have the side that isn't being announced stand along the sides and cheer the players as they come out. Our announcer has such a deep and throaty voice that it would go well with a song like this above it.

Not a lot of colleges do this song, so it's unique.

I, personally, love the unorthodox metal songs you hear at games...it's like Pantera's Puck Off...so this would be pretty sweet.

If that wouldn't get the stadium pumped, nothing would.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1

I would like to see the crowd come alive on 3rd downs before the ball is snapped. Before people can even get off their butts, the offense is running a play. When you haven't won in so long you would think you could feel a little bit more excited. Or maybe we just forgot how to get loud and rowdy. I'd also like to see the crowd get loud on 1st and 2nd down would that be too much to ask. Its almost like people are sitting down expecting something bad to happen.

You want pageantry win more games and get louder. You don't have to have some special song or music on to yell, you just have to have that want to. Don't act like you expect things to happen. I don't want our fan base to develop into something like UT where its a bunch of old people in the stands that don't get loud and complain. I'm tired of that. Don't act like entitled fans.

We need to bring back the Eagle Cry when the announcer says that it's third down

then we have this playing on the video board throughout all of halftime... imagine... we could start a tradition where we dont allow our own band to perform at half

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SUzcDUERLo

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm still frustrated that students seemed to have ruined the North Texas chant the past few years. What happened?

I don't know but it was back to normal at one point during the Idaho game because the cheerleading squad finally knew how to instruct the chant. However, the NT chant, like seen in our last game is easy to fix, but raising the bar in terms of excitement and tradition during games is what we're struggling with--the whole point of this thread.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

After talking with some students after the Idaho game, I realized I wasn't the only one craving for more hype during our games. Every student I talked to agreed that they really would like the environment to be more hyped. As you know, our students can get loud, but we need some help from the organizers to take our games to the next level that most well-established programs have in terms of hype.

One thing that I don't like very much is our team's official entrance. For one, you can easily see the team enter the field before they are announced, which creates confusion to some that begin cheering thinking they already entered. Why can't the team stay "inside" the tunnel while we have something that helps them be less visible that they can penetrate through when they're announced? I feel seeing them before they're announced takes away the "hype" that so many fans and students love. Moreover, the level of hype is pathetic for our entrances and I think it is getting worse each year. Students don't even get as excited with the intro video as they are viewing the team already on the field. A good example of a great entrance is Virginia Tech's "Enter Sandman" by Metallica entrance.

Look at VT's hype before the entrance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIgKJSANc1A

Moreover, I think we should create another tradition that can generate more hype during the second half. Perhaps it could give a reason for some to stay longer. Wisconsin has a tradition between the 3rd and 4th quarter where their students go crazy jumping with the song "Jump Around" by House of Pain is introduced (I know many of you probably are aware of this).

Wisconsin's Jump Around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tODlPxhbGF8

Some may say it's much easier for those teams because their stadiums are full with excited fans in attendance. I personally don't feel that we need our stadium to be sold out in order to attempt these traditions that generate more hype and excitement, especially for our younger fans who really crave this type of environment in a game. I feel that if we start doing things like this, word will spread of how exciting games are and more people will attend games, guaranteed. Top that with winning and we can get that hyped with a sold out crowd on a consistent basis in the future.

What do you think it would take to convince the AD to introduce traditions like these that make the games more memorable? We NEED to give more reasons for students and other casual fans to attend games on top of winning. Win AND create these environments and we'll have much less debates over how to increase attendance in the future.

Your thoughts on how we can get this done or introduce these concepts to the AD?

I am right there with you bleedgreen4ever. Texas plays "The Eyes Of Texas" at the end of the 3rd quarter and the fans really react and go a little crazy (even if the game is lost by then). We also need to work on coordination between the band, cheerleaders, drum line, dancing girls etc. We often seem to be a bunch of parts in search of a whole. Yes, we need a more dramatic entrance, but above all, WE NEED NEW, BETTER AND MORE APPROPRIATE TUNES. It is a football game, not a band concert.
  • Upvote 1

I am right there with you bleedgreen4ever. Texas plays "The Eyes Of Texas" at the end of the 3rd quarter and the fans really react and go a little crazy (even if the game is lost by then). We also need to work on coordination between the band, cheerleaders, drum line, dancing girls etc. We often seem to be a bunch of parts in search of a whole. Yes, we need a more dramatic entrance, but above all, WE NEED NEW, BETTER AND MORE APPROPRIATE TUNES. It is a football game, not a band concert.

Scratch "The Eyes of Texas", I meant "Deep in the Heart of Texas".

by this do you mean they leave the stadium

4th_Quarter.jpg

• Upvote 3

Certainly. These things stick with fans, especially students and motivate them to continue going to games, even if the team isn't wining national championships. We really should be pushing more for this as fans.

by this do you mean they leave the stadium

4th_Quarter.jpg

Look closely, golfingomez. My wife, son,(Texas graduate) and I are in the north end zone, top deck. I'm not saying everyone hangs around in a blow out, but the ones who did were having a fun time, with the band and it's music in spite of everything. Those are what I call real fans.
  • Upvote 2

18k people jumping around isn't much of a homefield advantage no matter what you do.

In Fort Worth where 50k show up, jumping around in Amon Carter filled with nothing but black shirts, the crowd is ELECTRIC while waving the giant fear the frog banner in the stands.

And before you bring up records, you played IDAHO while we played LSU. Anybody (except for New Mexico State) can blow out Idaho but not many can stand toe to toe with LSU. Were taking the Big 12 this year. Book it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

18k people jumping around isn't much of a homefield advantage no matter what you do.

In Fort Worth where 50k show up, jumping around in Amon Carter filled with nothing but black shirts, the crowd is ELECTRIC while waving the giant fear the frog banner in the stands.

And before you bring up records, you played IDAHO while we played LSU. Anybody (except for New Mexico State) can blow out Idaho but not many can stand toe to toe with LSU. Were taking the Big 12 this year. Book it.

DoggyStyle, nobody cares about your fictitious "electric" games. First off, your renovated stadium doesn't hold 50k, its capacity is 45k tops. Second, there is no real "hype" the way I am discussing in this thread. We don't have it yet either, but we are talking about getting there and the number of people doesn't matter to create an energetic environment. Your post is irrelevant and quite sad that you have to bend the truth to act so superior to us. Must be fun to live in fantasy land. Nobody here "fears the frog," haha.

Anyway, I shouldn't be feeding the troll, woops.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever

The 22k on hand Saturday could have been pretty electric, there's just not a lot of organization as this thread is talking about. Apogee is a very loud stadium, it doesn't take much to make it a difficult place to play. Sometimes I feel like they were trying to one up the Super Pit in creating noise. That said, a capacity crowd will be great to see one day. That first score in Apogee against Houston was deafening.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtBKaoXmTe0

Also, no one is comparing Idaho with LSU, or even UNT at this point with TCU. Five years from now, UNT could be better than TCU, and then a few years after that, TCU could win the playoffs. It's what makes college football exciting.

Edited by ColoradoEagle
  • Upvote 2

Oh my God, please go away moron. Also what is "froggy style"? Is that where you squat on a guy and jump up and down?

• Upvote 1

Amon Carter is definitely not fearsome.

And, no, you'll be 6-6.

• Upvote 1

but we need some help from the organizers to take our games to the next level that most well-established programs have in terms of hype.

If only there was some group to lead these cheers. Perhaps these cheer individuals could be students themselves. These cheer coordinators could even wear cute uniforms and have rehearsed routines to draw attention to themselves and fire up the crowd. If only the university would step up and fund these cheer associates.

• Upvote 1

If only there was some group to lead these cheers. Perhaps these cheer individuals could be students themselves. These cheer coordinators could even wear cute uniforms and have rehearsed routines to draw attention to themselves and fire up the crowd. If only the university would step up and fund these cheer associates.

First and ten, do it again, go, go!