The need for more hype during UNT games

bleedgreen4ever

After talking with some students after the Idaho game, I realized I wasn't the only one craving for more hype during our games. Every student I talked to agreed that they really would like the environment to be more hyped. As you know, our students can get loud, but we need some help from the organizers to take our games to the next level that most well-established programs have in terms of hype.

One thing that I don't like very much is our team's official entrance. For one, you can easily see the team enter the field before they are announced, which creates confusion to some that begin cheering thinking they already entered. Why can't the team stay "inside" the tunnel while we have something that helps them be less visible that they can penetrate through when they're announced? I feel seeing them before they're announced takes away the "hype" that so many fans and students love. Moreover, the level of hype is pathetic for our entrances and I think it is getting worse each year. Students don't even get as excited with the intro video as they are viewing the team already on the field. A good example of a great entrance is Virginia Tech's "Enter Sandman" by Metallica entrance.

Look at VT's hype before the entrance:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cIgKJSANc1A

Moreover, I think we should create another tradition that can generate more hype during the second half. Perhaps it could give a reason for some to stay longer. Wisconsin has a tradition between the 3rd and 4th quarter where their students go crazy jumping with the song "Jump Around" by House of Pain is introduced (I know many of you probably are aware of this).

Wisconsin's Jump Around:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tODlPxhbGF8

Some may say it's much easier for those teams because their stadiums are full with excited fans in attendance. I personally don't feel that we need our stadium to be sold out in order to attempt these traditions that generate more hype and excitement, especially for our younger fans who really crave this type of environment in a game. I feel that if we start doing things like this, word will spread of how exciting games are and more people will attend games, guaranteed. Top that with winning and we can get that hyped with a sold out crowd on a consistent basis in the future.

What do you think it would take to convince the AD to introduce traditions like these that make the games more memorable? We NEED to give more reasons for students and other casual fans to attend games on top of winning. Win AND create these environments and we'll have much less debates over how to increase attendance in the future.

Your thoughts on how we can get this done or introduce these concepts to the AD?

• Upvote 6

We should have kept "Thunderstruck" as our intro song, make the tunnel a real tunnel with sides so we can't see the team, fog machines for them to run through prior to rubbing Spiriki's noggin and get rid of that moronic "Hey Baby" prior to the fourth quarter. Pipe some song in at that time to get the students wired for the fourth quarter.

• Upvote 5

We should have kept "Thunderstruck" as our intro song, make the tunnel a real tunnel with sides so we can't see the team, fog machines for them to run through prior to rubbing Spiriki's noggin and get rid of that moronic "Hey Baby" prior to the fourth quarter. Pipe some song in at that time to get the students wired for the fourth quarter.

I agree with you on how the entrance and I think we top that off with some fireworks. Regarding the song between the 3rd and 4th quarter, I think we need to establish a tradition and stick to one song that makes students jump or dance in a hyped environment -- meaning it has to be a song that generates that hype like the "jump around" song does. I am still thinking of possible songs for this.

"Hype" = whippersnapper word for "Pageantry".

Pageantry...hmmm.

Anyway, going back to the topic of the thread, this is quite an important topic of discussion to generate a more robust fanbase with our students who'll then become alumni wanted badly to continue going to games.

I was being serious about generating an attempt to actually make this happen in the future. The more you pressure who's in control, the more chance you have of making it happen. And these things are often overlooked by the AD even though they're very important as most students and even many alumni will testify. Moreover, these things aren't costly or hard to implement, whatsoever.

I'd like to see if some of you have any good ideas so we can then proceed and pitch these to the AD.

• Upvote 1

I would like to see the crowd come alive on 3rd downs before the ball is snapped. Before people can even get off their butts, the offense is running a play. When you haven't won in so long you would think you could feel a little bit more excited. Or maybe we just forgot how to get loud and rowdy. I'd also like to see the crowd get loud on 1st and 2nd down would that be too much to ask. Its almost like people are sitting down expecting something bad to happen.

You want pageantry win more games and get louder. You don't have to have some special song or music on to yell, you just have to have that want to. Don't act like you expect things to happen. I don't want our fan base to develop into something like UT where its a bunch of old people in the stands that don't get loud and complain. I'm tired of that. Don't act like entitled fans.

• Upvote 2

I would like to see the crowd come alive on 3rd downs before the ball is snapped. Before people can even get off their butts, the offense is running a play. When you haven't won in so long you would think you could feel a little bit more excited. Or maybe we just forgot how to get loud and rowdy. I'd also like to see the crowd get loud on 1st and 2nd down would that be too much to ask. Its almost like people are sitting down expecting something bad to happen.

You want pageantry win more games and get louder. You don't have to have some special song or music on to yell, you just have to have that want to. Don't act like you expect things to happen. I don't want our fan base to develop into something like UT where its a bunch of old people in the stands that don't get loud and complain. I'm tired of that. Don't act like entitled fans.

This! THIS! THIS!

• Upvote 2

Hey man! Some of us like getting to come down and conduct Hey Baby!!

But really,

It's not very "hyped", but it's one of the things that the Green Brigade and surrounding students/alumni know is going to come every game. Beginning of the 4th quarter means "Hey Baby"... And it has for the last decade at least.

When Mr. Mean Joe Greene was speaking to the team he told them " I'm looking for some MEAN in the GREEN". Well Sir's and Madam's same thing applies to our fans. I'm looking for us to create an atmosphere that opposing teams don't want to enter. Put some Mean and rowdiness into our fans is what we need I tell ya. Don't be afraid to stand up and yell if no one else is. It only takes one person start. Others will join in.

Apogee is a nice place and we have been pretty loud on some occasions, but we have yet to take it to a whole new level. We expect our team to improve each year so why not us as fans? Why cant we improve to? Why do we need some fancy celebration or the some promotion to come out and yell and cheer? Plain and simple we don't. No excuses

Right, but I really do feel it helps tremendously if there is something for fans to look forward to. Look at the links I provided and tell me you wouldn't want "a song" being played to create more excitement? The loudness on downs is something that can be easily corrected but to create something with some tradition behind, it'll take some help from the AD. That's what I'm pushing for.

• Upvote 1

When Mr. Mean Joe Greene was speaking to the team he told them " I'm looking for some MEAN in the GREEN". Well Sir's and Madam's same thing applies to our fans. I'm looking for us to create an atmosphere that opposing teams don't want to enter. Put some Mean and rowdiness into our fans is what we need I tell ya. Don't be afraid to stand up and yell if no one else is. It only takes one person start. Others will join in.

Apogee is a nice place and we have been pretty loud on some occasions, but we have yet to take it to a whole new level. We expect our team to improve each year so why not us as fans? Why cant we improve to? Why do we need some fancy celebration or the some promotion to come out and yell and cheer? Plain and simple we don't. No excuses

We get your point about being loud, irrespective of any added "celebratory" promotion. However, why can't we have both? What's fancy about playing a song that really gets you jumping and hyped and about an entrance that really gets the juices flowing and the players aren't actually already on the field and visible before their entrance?

• Upvote 1

Hey man! Some of us like getting to come down and conduct Hey Baby!!

But really,

It's not very "hyped", but it's one of the things that the Green Brigade and surrounding students/alumni know is going to come every game. Beginning of the 4th quarter means "Hey Baby"... And it has for the last decade at least.

I have noticed the band seems to get way more enthusiastic about this than the game itself.

We get your point about being loud, irrespective of any added "celebratory" promotion. However, why can't we have both? What's fancy about playing a song that really gets you jumping and hyped and about an entrance that really gets the juices flowing and the players aren't actually already on the field and visible before their entrance?

Maybe if we all write a strongly worded letter he will listen.

:thumbsu:

In the VT video in this thread's first post I noticed they had a huge "Start Jumpin" graphic. Sometimes our fans have to have instructions to follow and most will follow them--even at Big Time programs that have 70,000 fans in their stadiums.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

How about walking out to songs like Put On, 300 Violin Orchestra or Requiem for a Tower or what about an upbeat version to The Ecstasy of Gold ( Good Bad and the Ugly)

I think out of those for the team's entrance my favorite is 300 Violin Orchestra. Our students certainly get loud and jump/dance to that tune right before the team enters.

In the VT video in this thread's first post I noticed they had a huge "Start Jumpin" graphic. Sometimes our fans have to have instructions to follow and most will follow them--even at Big Time programs that have 70,000 fans in their stadiums.

GMG!

GMG!

This. And reason why the AD should get behind this and provide some "instruction" for fans to follow along with the right tunes that create that "hyped" environment. I also feel strong about not being able to see the team before their entrance.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

How about this remix for zombie nation for a song between the 3rd and 4th quarter:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFsgMGMvWcM

The first 55 seconds to a minute could be good to get fans pumped and jump around and dance to. The regular zombie nation tune is overused, but this brings uniqueness and it's more upbeat so that fans can move and jump around to. Little john could perhaps be muted after the beginning -- I'm more into the melody and tempo of the song. The idea of having the big screen instructing fans to go crazy as the song starts could really get a tradition like this going. Any other ideas?

• Upvote 1

about 2-3 years ago we spoke of this and i wanted to use 7 nation army by the white stripes, but now it's used by many. i agree that we need something, but please, no thunderstruck!

God, I hated the Seven Nation Army intro they used Saturday. The old one sucked but at least the students would dance and rock out to it.

What we need to do is what my dear ol' Texans do, do Down With the Sickness. The intro builds tension then when the monkey wail thing starts you have the team run out.

Sounds ridiculous until you hear it at Reliant then you just want to rush the field and break out into fights.

I like Hey Baby...when we're winning it always gets turned into "are you gonna be my b...(female dog)."

Provides some good laughs.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2