DFW Media Coverage

untjim1995

What would it take to get The Ticket to send out their shows to broadcast from Apogee ALL DAY on Haloween?

UNT had "the Hardline" guys out in 1994 inside the "Eagle-Dome" (a huge almost 50 yard long carnival tent) when we were in the midst of regaining our NCAA D1-A status and when 1310 "The Ticket" (in its first year of operations) carried all our football and basketball games that year. UNT had such success with them that year with audience response that the widdle' rich kid down the block got all huffy puffy and put out some of "daddy's" big bucks for KTCK to carry their games from then on.

Not sure if this money would be well spent, though. Why not spend those same thousands on buying Family Plan tickets for the Wing Zone and then give those out to the less fortunate out there that might not other-wise come to a Mean Green football game at fabulous Apogee Stadium.

North Texas in the worst way really needs to work on more Denton County families to fill our Wing Zone. If we can get the kids to Apogee, then we can get mommy and daddy to come along with them most times, too, one would think.

How would last night's crowd have looked had the Wing' been 1/2/ to 3/4'ths full or just plain full? Is it time for Band Day threads and posts again? LOL! (Don't worry, Band Day talk will not come from my keyboard any longer).;)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Channel 11 (CBS) showed video of 2 TDs. They also showed their executive sports producer in the stands celebrating and said he was a proud UNT alumn.

Bill Jones talked about how we were now in CUSA and gushed "Do you believe in the Mean Green?" after the 85 yard TD. (By the way, DT threw that ball just over 52 yards in the air on while on the move.)

Edited by casual fan
  • Upvote 2

Channel 11 (CBS) showed video of 2 TDs. They also showed their executive sports producer in the stands celebrating and said he was a proud UNT alumn.

Bill Jones talked about how we were now in CUSA and gushed "Do you believe in the Mean Green?" after the 85 yard TD. (By the way, DT threw that ball just over 52 yards in the air on while on the move.)

I wouldn't know. (stupid dumb Time Warner Cable :( )
  • Upvote 1

The print version of the Dallas Morning News (I was a paperboy as a kid, and got the ink in me) has us as the second score listed on the top of the front page "College Football" banner, just below A$M/Rice, fourth blurb from the top on the front page of Section C "Sports Day" between Texas and Baylor, second blurb from the top on front page of Section CC "Sports Day 2", between Ok State and Oklahoma; headline "NORTH TEXAS PLAYS LIKE LEGENDS IN OPENER", with Brett Vito's full writeup prominently featured on page 5 (centerfold) of CC, opposite Oklahoma, headline "UNT starts off with win".

It featured the story of the uniforms, the legends being honored (specifically mentioning Mean Joe Greene), and quotes from Derek Thompson and Zach Orr, with a photograph of Brandin Byrd on his way to scoring a touchdown (by David Minton of the DRC). Derek Thompson was mentioned as "noone playing a bigger role in the win"; also Brandin Byrd, Brelan Chancellor and Laramie Lee (for the two fumble recoveries) were prominently mentioned.

I don't remember seeing better print coverage of a UNT game, but unfortunately, only started following the football program closely since 2007. Say what you will about Vito, but I think he did us proper this Sunday (and I'm writing this just before midnight Sunday); hope I made the deadline).

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1