UNT Saturday Scrimmage notes (video coming) Chico more added!

Harry

UNT head coach Dan McCarney and offensive coordinator Mike Canales said they will let the quarterback competition continue into the second week of fall practice after what both described as a disappointing performance for UNTs offense in a scrimmage the Mean Greens defense dominated on Saturday.

UNT worked out at the Darrell R. Dickey practice facility in a closed scrimmage.

McCarney said that UNTs defense put on its best performance in an opening scrimmage in his time at UNT.

UNTs offense struggled.

read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/08/scrimmage-notes-video-coming.html/

Returning starter Derek Thompson, Andrew McNulty and Brock Berglund all saw time with the first team. Thompson took the most snaps with the first team.

Canales and McCarney said there is no clear-cut pecking order at this point.

Freshman Dajon Williams made a big impression while working with the third team and is pushing the top three. He has not worked with the second team at this point, but could that opportunity before the end of fall camp.

This.

This is an assessment far removed from anything we've heard of QB play and the "pecking order" since January.

The problem with DT is that he cannot deliver routine throws. Bubble screens, slants, out routes, etc. Our WR's are constantly having to contort their bodies or make spectacular catches. We have WR's who can run this year and we need a QB who can hit them in stride on routine throws. You would hope that he has chemistry with Chancellor, Smith, and Carlos from last year and that can happen. But until he proves it in a game, I would be skeptical and would have a quick trigger to put in a replaecement.

You have to score in college football today and that requires competent QB play, particularly on routine passing tree throws.

• Upvote 1

I'll probably get dinged for saying this, but I feel like the tall tale of DT's inadequacies has grown more and more in the offseason. He had some big issues last year, but his issue, IMHO, was inconsistency. I feel like some on the forum feel like he was consistent...consistently bad. That's just not what I recall (or see from the games I still have DVR'd).

I want to see the best QB start, but I've seen posts from folks wishing failure on DT at practice so he won't start. (Like hoping he throws interceptions.)

I either want DT to have improved and earned holding on to the starting role, or I want someone else to earn taking it from him. Either way, put the best QB on the field.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

No surprise here at all to me. What would have surprised me would have been if the offense won this first scrimmage. Defenses are usually ahead of offenses in the early days of fall practice. Same with the Dallas Cowboy team that played Oakland last evening.

Offense will catch up, and the next scrimmage may...MAY...turn out entirely different.

Besides, last year's defense was in need of improvement as well. A better defense makes for a much better offense. Can't win 'em if you can't stop 'em....remember the Last home game with Navy? Just like you can't win 'em if you can't score.

I would think Mac planned that competition...as with the competition for several places...to carry on into future weeks. Why not? As a HC, wouldn't you? Keep the level of play up and keep 'em thinking they have work to do. Seems this is typical coach speak...just like Garrett after the Cowboy game last night.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1