So many disconnected alums...

meangreener

Seriously, makes me have misgivings about UNT. But it's mainly our older alumni. No offense to this board because y'all got us this far, but our older alumni are just terrible.

Disagree... I'm class of 66 and 75.... If there is a disconnected group it may come from the 80's when we dropped into a hole sportswise... The old MVC days were fun and in basketball the gym was full and we had less than 15,000 students much of the time. Remember those where the days of Joe Greene and later Hayden Fry. Also in that era there wasn't as much to do to take up time.... no video games... 100 channel TV etc. .few games on TV to watch instead etc... You don't get it.

• Upvote 3

Seriously, makes me have misgivings about UNT. But it's mainly our older alumni. No offense to this board because y'all got us this far, but our older alumni are just terrible.

You know, after attending the Mean Green Club reception on Wednesday, it would be easy to draw the opposite conclusion. It was standing room only and I only recall seeing one person that looked under 35 that wasn't staff or children. I'm sure there were others, but that's all I recall. Dissappointing. And it's not a financial thing. The Mean Green Club offers amazing discounts for recent grads.

Could just be that alums from different generations get connected in different ways.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

You know, after attending the Mean Green Club reception on Wednesday, it would be easy to draw the opposite conclusion. It was standing room only and I only recall seeing one person that looked under 35 that wasn't staff or children. I'm sure there were others, but that's all I recall. Dissappointing. And it's not a financial thing. The Mean Green Club offers amazing discounts for recent grads.

Could just be that alums from different generations get connected in different ways.

Yes, and I would guess that a pretty hefty majority of regular posters on this board are over 35 also. On the other hand, I'm a late 80's grad., and not surprisingly, it does seem as if our 1AA dive coincided with an increase in apathy.

Coincidence? Not really, but the 1AA period also saw heavy enrollment growth driven by commuters and transfers, and those two segments are often the most disconnected of all. Hopefully winning will bring back those 40-55 year old types in droves.

You all forget that this is a common problem at many universities. I know several UH grads, who know much less about their sports than I do and could care less. Same with the two Rice grads I know and believe it or not, there are several UT grads in my area who know or care little about how the Longhorns are doing. Some people just aren't oriented that way and do not see the connection between the publicity sports bring and the overall perception of the university by the public.

The fun part about all of this, is reading all of those facebook posts. The anti-stadium posts have 20+ likes yet the pro-athletics posts only have 3-5 likes. If the entire student body would have voted, Apogee wouldn't have been built.

You have 36000 students near one of the biggest cities in the country yet you have never sold out a 30,000 seat stadium. Not everybody is meant to be a major sports school.

Edited by FroggyStyle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

The fun part about all of this, is reading all of those facebook posts. The anti-stadium posts have 20+ likes yet the pro-athletics posts only have 3-5 likes. If the entire student body would have voted, Apogee wouldn't have been built.

You have 36000 students near one of the biggest cities in the country yet you have never sold out a 30,000 seat stadium. Not everybody is meant to be a major sports school.

Little Froggie scared of what North Texas might become? Typical local private sentiment of being scared of what could happen if UNT did things the right way. Well, we are finally headed in the right direction. Wasn't that long ago that TCU was a doormat. Also, wasnt' that long ago that we should have beaten the Froggies in Ft. Worth and on your postgame show, one of your coaches vowed not to play us again. Don't be scared.

No doubt. I think any small, privately funded school should be forced to play in their own league with their counterparts.

Just think, TCU, SMU, and Tulane could have their own league and all you TCU douchers could claim a national title (well, some years, anyway).

Maybe Bishop Dunn could even join.

Want to know why the positive people aren't chiming in support on a meaningless FB post? Maybe because they don't have to. Ever see a Lamborghini try to race a Mustang? No? Because they don't have to.

The naysayers don't have anything to stand on anymore, so they're going to be as whiny as they can. They had their chance to vote, and they didn't. We can if-and-or-but this all day, but for whatever reason this supposed army of anti-athletics people didn't exercise their voice through a vote. In a democratic world, that's you digging your own grave.

And good riddance. The days of Dentonites being able to crawl into a hole and pretend that sports don't matter or take away the value of their degree are numbered.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Want to know why the positive people aren't chiming in support on a meaningless FB post? Maybe because they don't have to. Ever see a Lamborghini try to race a Mustang? No? Because they don't have to.

The naysayers don't have anything to stand on anymore, so they're going to be as whiny as they can. They had their chance to vote, and they didn't. We can if-and-or-but this all day, but for whatever reason this supposed army of anti-athletics people didn't exercise their voice through a vote. In a democratic world, that's you digging your own grave.

And good riddance. The days of Dentonites being able to crawl into a hole and pretend that sports don't matter or take away the value of their degree are numbered.

:D

• Upvote 2

Amen brother!

You've been major dogs in the past, and your Patterson run is on its last legs. Bank on it.

You've been major dogs in the past, and your Patterson run is on its last legs. Bank on it.

If Froggy wants to play numbers, let him sink his teeth in and have fun.

At the end of every school year, we probably graduate more of our 36K enrollment than TCU has total enrollment, period. The student-to-athletics engagement from day 1 is light years better than what this university was doing in the past.

If we can start freaking winning again, and win consistently, that is waking a sleeping gorilla in this metroplex that SMU or TCU will not be able to ignore.

If they want to make fun of how we dwell on a win 30 years ago, or a not-so-recent demolition of a bottom-feeder Baylor, let them. But one day the table will turn, and I hope we don't hold back.

I remember their Franchione years. I was there in person when LT ran for 400+ yards. I was also in Denton to see Dunbar explode against KSU. Maybe some parallel of future success can made found here. Because I can see parallels about pathetic pasts.

Edited by greenminer

Check back in 4-5 years ... after UT, OU, TxTech, and the rest have beaten you back down to what you were in the SWC. Also check YOUR attendance.... SMU, Rice and TCU had terrible attendance then by their OWN fans... .. UT etc. was tired of filling their stadiums for them and withdrew from the SWC... Believe me , if UT etc was on our schedule ours would be filled to the max. as well. .

• Upvote 1

I think even the WKU 33 degrees in the rain game had more than 200. There might have even been 3 times that many.

I don't have a problem with him getting the MUTS game THAT WRONG because he's obviously got other issues and he doesn't represent us in an official capacity.

.What I have a problem with is that there were more like around 3-4,000 there at that game but it was reported AND repeated to be 17,000 by officials......like SMU does. Then.....our officials added that to the overall attendance average and went around telling media and anyone who would listen that we set some kind of fantasy attendance record?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

My pro-athletic post about how the haters are wrong had 20 likes. Check yourself.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I don't understand the backlash toward froggy's post.

I agree that many of our students and alumni have not been appropriately sold on the importance and benefit of supporting the athletic dept.

Too many on this board approach disappointing attendance/enthusiasm with an effort to criticize the customer rather than assessing the product and figuring out how we can become more attractive to the target market.

• Upvote 1

I don't understand the backlash toward froggy's post.

I agree that many of our students and alumni have not been appropriately sold on the importance and benefit of supporting the athletic dept.

Too many on this board approach disappointing attendance/enthusiasm with an effort to criticize the customer rather than assessing the product and figuring out how we can become more attractive to the target market.

I wouldn't say too many, it's only a few, and Im one of them. But it's not ok for outsiders to constantly do it. We, meaning a few us us, know our shortcomings without outsiders telling us about them. They can go to KillerFrogs.com and play with their own selves.

Rick

• Upvote 1

You got a minus 1 from this class of '69 alumni who has not missed a home game in five years!

Another consideration is making a weekday 6:00 event only works for retirees in the county or people who live and work in Denton.

• Upvote 2

I thought the most interesting and funny part was how many alumni do not even know there is a new stajium.......there were a ton of people saying things like "are they going to have this done before the season starts" or "I am sure whatever replaces this will jack up cost" or "why are they tearing down the stajium are they building a new one" or "why is it being demolished"

there are dozens of people that have no clue there is even a new stajium or that Fouts is not still in use....THAT is a disconnect......from the universe :bbq:

Little Froggie scared of what North Texas might become? Typical local private sentiment of being scared of what could happen if UNT did things the right way. Well, we are finally headed in the right direction. Wasn't that long ago that TCU was a doormat. Also, wasnt' that long ago that we should have beaten the Froggies in Ft. Worth and on your postgame show, one of your coaches vowed not to play us again. Don't be scared.

no one is scared of the "sleeping giant" and even when north Texas was on their DD roll their big wins were over Baylor and SMU that were at the time two of the worst programs in the history if D1-A football and each was matched with a loss to similar all time horrible teams the next season :mom:

Edited by GL2Greatness
  • Upvote 1

Decided that the board might need a break from you.

A very serious case of the high-lighted in bold statement of yours could have been made toward TCU their last 25 years in the SWC. In fact, many of your older alums had all but given it all up. The day the SWC imploded was a very, very sad day in Fort Worth because the Big 12 was basically telling TCU...."why don't yall go join about 5 conferences in less than 10 years and we might consider you then.

So I guess as far as North Texas is concerned all the things you seem to want to happen to our athletic program are just not going to happen at all.

36,000 plus students (which will become over 40K before you can say "rivet") and over 200,000 UNT alums in DFW are going to be as patient about all this as I presume TCU was during their long SWC journey of one losing decade after another.

You should have really seen all those empty seats at ACS when UT, TAMU, TTech and Baylor weren't bringing their traveling fans to FW to help TCU pad what would otherwise be pretty pathetic attendance numbers for a Big Time SWC school.

Why is this all so important to you anyhow to come over here so much and say (basically) the same ol' things?

GMG!

• Upvote 1