Positive comments on Tony Mitchell from Pistons’ assistant

Harry

There were a whole lot of questions about Tony Mitchell heading into the NBA summer pro league season:

None were bigger than if Mitchell would have the right attitude and play with 100 percent effort.

I never really had much of a doubt. He played lights out in his short time at UNT as a freshman. One can argue he checked out a bit in a disaster of a season last year, a time in which he admitted he coasted, but he has a lot to play for now.

The reviews coming in on Mitchell since the end of the Orlando pro league have been nothing but positive.

The latest example came in a story in USA Today about the value of players selected later in the draft who come cheap, relatively speaking. Many of them are on display in the summer pro leagues.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/07/positive-comments-on-tony-mitchell-from-pistons-assistant.html/

Really great to see these comments...a motivated Mitchell could be really hard to keep off the final Piston's roster. If he does make the final roster, I would predict that he would see decent playing time and continue to develop into a very solid NBA player. Time will tell how solid, but the early repost are VERY encouraging to see.

Way to go Tony!

• Upvote 2

And to think, it was members of OUR fan base who told me he'd never play in the NBA or that if he did he'd fail immediately.

You must run around with the wrong folks. Maybe you should think about hanging out with a more positive set of fans. Anyone who said Tony did not have the athletic ability or skill set was watching a different guy than TM. Never was a question of his ability or skill set. Don't even think the pro scouts questioned that. The only questions I ever recall were ones regarding motivation and effort. Looks like those may have been answered as well for now. As with most everything...time will tell. So far in rookie ball, so good.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You must run around with the wrong folks. Maybe you should think about hanging out with a more positive set of fans. Anyone who said Tony did not have the athletic ability or skill set was watching a different guy than TM. Never was a question of his ability or skill set. Don't even think the pro scouts questioned that. The only questions I ever recall were ones regarding motivation and effort. Looks like those may have been answered as well for now. As with most everything...time will tell. So far in rookie ball, so good.

When Emmitt and I were in Hot Springs, there were at least half a dozen folks that told us that Michell would not make the NBA. He still might not, but it looks like he will right now.

When Emmitt and I were in Hot Springs, there were at least half a dozen folks that told us that Michell would not make the NBA. He still might not, but it looks like he will right now.

Well, being honest about it at that time, one can see why some may have said that. Why? Because that was during the time Tony himself said he was not motivated and not giving the effort he should be giving. Watching Tony play in the Rookie Summer League with the Pistons it would be hard for anyone, who was being honest and who would not let past history cloud their opinion, to believe that Tony's chances were anything but positive at this point.

Hot Springs was a long time ago for aspiring Rookie NBA players.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Well, being honest about it at that time, one can see why some may have said that. Why? Because that was during the time Tony himself said he was not motivated and not giving the effort he should be giving. Watching Tony play in the Rookie Summer League with the Pistons it would be hard for anyone, who was being honest and who would not let past history cloud their opinion, to believe that Tony's chances were anything but positive at this point.

Hot Springs was a long time ago for aspiring Rookie NBA players.

CMJ never indicated one way or the other if these critics were referring to TM's motor, or his athletic ability/skill set.

CMJ never indicated one way or the other if these critics were referring to TM's motor, or his athletic ability/skill set.

Well, it was mostly questioning of his effort. A lot of "good riddance" and "he's not good enough to be in the NBA, but i don't want him back either" type of stuff.

For me, I didn't think it was a lack of effort in Hot Springs. Mitchell seemed lost at times (especially when his man forced him away from the basket on defense) and often frustrated, but I never thought he wasn't trying hard.

Edited by CMJ

At the time he was referring to one was impacting the other. No motor effort=faulty skill set=questions regarding ability to play at the next level. Pretty much a case of a lack of "want to" impacting skills and abilities in a negative way. Start the motor and one sees a totally different TM. Does not matter what caused them to doubt, fact is that they doubted. I am guessing all but the most stubborn may have changed opinions since Hot Springs after seeing the motor on and clearly running at a speed we did not see for the majority of last season. You do recall the Lehigh game, right? No motor...bad results. Rookie ball....big motor ... Nice results.

I guess my biggest disappointment is that if he becomes some Kobe level NBA hall of famer, I'd really like to be able to say that I got to see him tear up the competition in the Pit in Denton. But, yeah, won't be able to say that so much. I saw inhuman size, strength, and speed, but rarely all three put together, and very rarely with the fourth variable of drive.

But sincere best of luck to him in his career. I hope he does make the roster, and I hope he does make an impact.

• Upvote 1

Let's also not forget the question of coaching.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

You do recall the Lehigh game, right? No motor...bad results. Rookie ball....big motor ... Nice results.

And Benford wasn't coaching the rookie league, right? My, what a coincidence. Along with the fact that no one questioned TM's "motor" under JJ.

So, let's review. Good motor under JJ. Bad motor under Benford, but good motor 4 months later.

I wonder what the variable would be.

I do think CMJ has it right. I think Mitchell was VERY frustrated under Benford, as I think the players will be this year, also. I suspect we will here similar things about Jordan Williams before January.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

... You do recall the Lehigh game, right? No motor...bad results. Rookie ball....big motor ... Nice results.

I really don't understand what you mean here?

I'm assuming you're pointing out that he didn't start? Because he went off in this game for 22pts & 9rebs w/3 blocks. I'd hardly call these "bad results".

http://espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=323550249

• Upvote 2

Let's also not forget the question of coaching.

Why is it that everytime you post in the basketball thread these days that the phrase "one trick pony" always comes to mind?

:goodjob::zoro:

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

It's okay. He's taken his act to the football thread/forum today.

Oh ya, I forgot. You only allow mythical 12-0 football seasons and 28-0 basketball seasons in your world. Along with zero criticism of anything coach or AD related.

My apologies.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3