Could Tony Mitchell start for Detroit?

Harry

After reading comments on their websites and some of their fans it doesn't seem to be an impossibility. This story could have a very happy ending because Detroit is a team that could use his talent now.

Short answer: no. The Pistons have 2 very good big men in Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond. However, with Maxiell(their 3rd big) being a FA, and the fact that the Pistons would sacrifice Charlie Villanueva and his terrible contract to the basketball gods if they could, there is a chance that he could be the first big guy off the bench. If all goes to well, I think their plan is to have a 3-man rotation with Monroe, Drummond, and Tony(if not this year, then next). Kind of like the Lakers when they had Pau, Bynum, and Odom. Tony can play PF with Monroe sliding over to C, or he can play with Drummond. Free Agency starts soon so we'll see if they go after a big guy.

Edited by cl_1_2008
  • Upvote 1

He may still be hanging around the REC...one thing about Lyons, you can never question his commitment to UNT...loved it so much he never left and moved on with his life.

Feels like a theme

• Upvote 2

Short answer: no. The Pistons have 2 very good big men in Greg Monroe and Andre Drummond. However, with Maxiell(their 3rd big) being a FA, and the fact that the Pistons would sacrifice Charlie Villanueva and his terrible contract to the basketball gods if they could, there is a chance that he could be the first big guy off the bench. If all goes to well, I think their plan is to have a 3-man rotation with Monroe, Drummond, and Tony(if not this year, then next). Kind of like the Lakers when they had Pau, Bynum, and Odom. Tony can play PF with Monroe sliding over to C, or he can play with Drummond. Free Agency starts soon so we'll see if they go after a big guy.

Dumars apparently met with Josh Smith last night. I really doubt he signs with Detroit , but that would really hurt Tony's PT if he did

I'm more concerned about TM making a NBA roster , much less starting

• 2 weeks later...

To quote Norm Hitzges on draft night: "There are a lot of jobs in Detroit."

Tony might not start, but he will get playing time.

Think they might be at roster limit without signing him or Siva...they apparently are going to hold onto the dead weight of Charlie V in hopes his expiring contract can be an asset. I think regardless Tony will be on an NBA roster on opening day. They have until 9/6 to decide if they will tender a contract. He may still need polish to his offensive game, but his play in Summer League showed he can definitely contribute now in other areas.

• Upvote 1

We are in a "rebuilding mode" ro should be here in Dallas. If detroit decides against keeping him what would the odds of Dallas scooping him up? we need big men, we need young talent with high upside and we need cheap. He would definitely fit the bill in all three ways.

i know it is probably a long shot but I am going to keep hope alive....