Scotty Young, La. Tech’s starting QB

Harry

Finally, after three years, Scotty Young will have his chance to be a starting quarterback at the Football Bowl Subdivision level.

After sitting out last season at Louisiana Tech after transferring from Texas Tech after two unproductive seasons on the bench, Young was named La. Tech’s starting quarterback when the team’s post-spring depth chart was released on Thursday.

Young, as you’ll recall, is known for his prolific arm and probably should be equally as known for his hair (quality lettuce can be seen here.)

Young, as you’ll also recall, was a PARADE All-America selection and the Associated Press Texas Player of the Year.

He finally got his shot to live up to the hype that preceded him when he arrived at Texas Tech. This spring, Young didn’t disappoint.

In the Bulldogs’ spring game, Young completed 15 of 20 passes for 161 yards, three touchdowns and zero interceptions. His back-up, Ryan Higgins, completed 17-of-26 passes for zero touchdowns and three interceptions.

New La. Tech head coach Skip Holtz had some positive things to say about Young’s performance on the school’s athletic website.

Read more: http://drchighschoolblog.dentonrc.com/2013/04/scotty-young-la-techs-starting-qb.html/

Scott and Brock have been out of productive college level football about the same amount of time it seems.

Because I don't know, which of the 2 had better Rivals stars?

Sort of a Catch 22 with Denton's Young: If he's successful we can take turns kicking each other in the butt yet................if he were to not be a fit into Coach Mac's system (now in only Year 3) then it's a lose-lose for UNT and Denton.

GMG!

Exactly...seems Coach Mac signed the QB he wanted to sign and the one he feels fits the need better at UNT. It happens all the time. I wish Scotty nothing but the best at La Tech unless he's playing UNT. But, since he is at La Tech I could not care less about the facts of his brief flirtation with UNT. Did not work out at UNT. Time to move along.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On the other hand, he may be really sorry that he's not here. :abe:

Edited by KRAM1
  • Upvote 1

Scott and Brock have been out of productive college level football about the same amount of time it seems.

Because I don't know, which of the 2 had better Rivals stars?

Sort of a Catch 22 with Denton's Young: If he's successful we can take turns kicking each other in the butt yet................if he were to not be a fit into Coach Mac's system (now in only Year 3) then it's a lose-lose for UNT and Denton.

GMG!

Young was a Parade All-American and Texas. High School Player of the year his senior season. Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Young was a Parade All-American and Texas. High School Player of the year his senior season.

Rivals rated Young at 5.8 and Bergland at 5.7 (virtually even).

Young Offers out of HS

Texas Tech

Arizona

Baylor

Rice

SMU

Bergland offers out of HS

Kansas

Boise

Colorado

Colorado State

Duke

Kansas State

Minnesota

San Diego State

Tulsa

UCLA

Utah

Washington State

Wyoming

Bergland was the Colorado HS Player of the Year, a member of the state championship relay team and finished 4th in the 200 meter.Not exactly void of talent. Tech did not have a returning starting QB so it was much easier for Young to step in. Bergland is as good as catch for us and Young was for Tech.

Edited by MeanGreen61
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Young Offers out of HS

Texas Tech

Arizona

Baylor

Rice

SMU

Kansas

Boise

Colorado

Colorado State

Duke

Kansas State

Minnesota

San Diego State

Tulsa

UCLA

Utah

Washington State

Wyoming

Bergland was the Colorado HS Player of the Year, a member of the state championship relay team and finished 4th in the 200 meter.Not exactly void of talent. Tech did not have a returning starting QB so it was much easier for Young to step in. Bergland is as good as catch for us and Young was for Tech.

I'm sure we'll see in Ruston.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The fact that Young was able to beat out everybody on La Tech's roster and the fact that Berglund didn't beat out either DT or McNulty is pretty telling to me already. That being said, BB should be healed and ready to go by Fall Camp, if he can't beat out DT or McNulty there either, then I'm going to go on a limb and say that Young would have been the better pickup.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Young Offers out of HS

Texas Tech

Arizona

Baylor

Rice

SMU

Kansas

Boise

Colorado

Colorado State

Duke

Kansas State

Minnesota

San Diego State

Tulsa

UCLA

Utah

Washington State

Wyoming

4th in the individual 200? Didn't know that, and I'm seriously impressed regardless of classification.

• Upvote 1

The fact that Young was able to beat out everybody on La Tech's roster and the fact that Berglund didn't beat out either DT or McNulty is pretty telling to me already. That being said, BB should be healed and ready to go by Fall Camp, if he can't beat out DT or McNulty there either, then I'm going to go on a limb and say that Young would have been the better pickup.

You're hanging on a limb over Buffalo Bayou. The injury meant a lot.

• Upvote 1

Was that against public schools or private?

Rick

I can't speak for Colorado but here in Texas and places like Louisiana etc the public private thing is not that big of a deal. The private schools are getting very very good because they can offer kids from all over a scholarship. I see this with Jesuit here in Dallas, they had several D-I signees and were one of the better teams in the state last year.

I can't speak for Colorado but here in Texas and places like Louisiana etc the public private thing is not that big of a deal. The private schools are getting very very good because they can offer kids from all over a scholarship. I see this with Jesuit here in Dallas, they had several D-I signees and were one of the better teams in the state last year.

It certainly is a BIG DEAL if your using the terms STATE CHAMPIONSHIP or STATE MEET because the difference in competition is still extremely vast between public and private schools overall.....especially in TEXAS.

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

It certainly is a BIG DEAL if your using the terms STATE CHAMPIONSHIP or STATE MEET because the difference in competition is still extremely vast between public and private schools overall.....especially in TEXAS.

Rick

That's very true, but for a QB to place that highly in upper level privates :phew: is still pretty good even in Colorado. Not so much for a WR type of course.

Rick

In Colorado they group public and private schools together. Berglund competed for Valpr Christian in 3A and then 4A. Valor Christian is now 5A.

Tech's starting QB graduated so who did he really beat out ? Believe Young also hugged the bench at Texas Tech. Tech had a horrible defense last year so unless they have vastly improved, 3 TDs against that D isn't a big deal. Might want to hold off on the kudos until some actual games are played.

Edited by MeanGreen61

In Colorado they group public and private schools together. Berglund competed for Valpr Christian in 3A and then 4A. Valor Christian is now 5A.

You beat me to it...yes there is no separation between public and private schools here. In fact, there is starting to be some debate about it because the private schools are starting to "beat up" on the public schools in athletic competitions because they can select who goes to their schools and not be limited by district lines. Valor is a big player in this because they've won alot recently.

You beat me to it...yes there is no separation between public and private schools here. In fact, there is starting to be some debate about it because the private schools are starting to "beat up" on the public schools in athletic competitions because they can select who goes to their schools and not be limited by district lines. Valor is a big player in this because they've won alot recently.

Yup, Valor has become quite the program.

Last year they were quarterbacked by Luke Del Rio (son of NFL coach Jack Del Rio) and their running back Christian Mccaffrey (son of former broncos receiver Ed Mccaffrey) is one of the top 2014 running backs in the country.

This has also become a problem in Oregon with their Jesuit program being so dominant.

• Upvote 1

Yup, Valor has become quite the program.

Last year they were quarterbacked by Luke Del Rio (son of NFL coach Jack Del Rio) and their running back Christian Mccaffrey (son of former broncos receiver Ed Mccaffrey) is one of the top 2014 running backs in the country.

This has also become a problem in Oregon with their Jesuit program being so dominant.

I'm sure Del Rio Sr. is enjoying Colorado. Ha! Ya had to of been there to get it.

Rick

I think you are missing my point Rick -- Dallas Jesuit is 5A and competes against the better 5A programs in the state. Their league has Dallas Skyline, Lake Highlands, the Richardson schools etc. It is as tough a league as is played in the state. My understanding is Valor is very similar. Jesuit can offer SCHOLARSHIPS to the best players in the area. I think its like 15-20K tuition. So they can cherry pick the suburbs best players as well as in the city and even out of state. They build up such a talent level that they can't stay in the private leagues or they would dominate... Same thing for schools in Louisiana like Evangel, John Curtis -- here is an article about this that you may find interesting: When Goliath Strikes David Back (NY Times). Basically the article says that private schools can turn into athletic machines because they can recruit a wide region and do not have to meet any academic requirements.