Draft Profiles, Week 3: Tony Mitchell

Harry

Exactly. Why do you think Ndamukong Suh's donation was such a big deal at Nebraska? Yes, 4 million was one reason, but also because giving is the exception, not the rule. Golfers seem good about giving back though. Fred Couples has given to Houston's golf program. When Payne Stewart was alive, he bought knickers for the SMU golf team.

It is mainly in men's football and men's basketball where you see this "challenge". Many of the Olympic sports former players do give and many who did not have scholarships. Parents of players are another low percentage group of givers. But, this is changing at UNT and for the positive. I really appreciate all the former players who now get involved with the GMG.com flag football game as donors and the GMG.com basketball game as well. As a volunteer rep for the Mean Green Club I see signs of positive progress on this front as well. The athletic department and coaching staffs are reaching out to our former players, and that is definitely helping. One has only to take off their "everything is wrong with UNT blinders" to actually see the progress. Want to see some of these guys and some progress in person? Come to today's GMG.com flag Football game and stay for the Spring Game!

• Upvote 3

It is mainly in men's football and men's basketball where you see this "challenge". Many of the Olympic sports former players do give and many who did not have scholarships. Parents of players are another low percentage group of givers. But, this is changing at UNT and for the positive. I really appreciate all the former players who now get involved with the GMG.com flag football game as donors and the GMG.com basketball game as well. As a volunteer rep for the Mean Green Club I see signs of positive progress on this front as well. The athletic department and coaching staffs are reaching out to our former players, and that is definitely helping. One has only to take off their "everything is wrong with UNT blinders" to actually see the progress. Want to see some of these guys and some progress in person? Come to today's GMG.com flag Football game and stay for the Spring Game!

Geez, get your head out of the sand. ;)

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

You guys really devalue the importance of coaching/motivation.

Not really, but I think a player's maturity, or lack thereof, work ethic and not having to be handled with kid gloves like he probably was through high school shares the blame.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Not really, but I think a player's maturity, or lack thereof, work ethic and not having to be handled with kid gloves like he probably was through high school shares the blame.

Wow, so I guess it is OK to bash former players, right?

Where did Mr. High and Mighty go?

• Upvote 3

At UNT it's okay to bash players when expectations (however unreasonable) are not thought to be met. Duh.

Apparently it's ok to bash basketball players on their character, but not ok to talk about on the field performance when it comes to football.

• Upvote 2

Point being, many times young men with his talent don't learn to work hard in high school when they can get by on talent alone. Plus, many times their coaches make the situation worse by coddling them.

• Upvote 1

Point being, many times young men with his talent don't learn to work hard in high school when they can get by on talent alone. Plus, many times their coaches make the situation worse by coddling them.

Your point was Tony Mitchell didn't work hard enough, that's why you posted it in a thread about... Tony Mitchell.

So don't act all high and mighty when people discuss the football 2 deep.

Really interesting double standard you have about basketball players and football QBs.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2

What would that be, because you missed the boat above? We? Are you speaking for everyone now.

It means you find it perfectly fine to criticize basketball player's character and effort, yet have a complete double standard for football players, especially football QBs.

I wonder what you could have in common with football QBs that you don't with basketball players. But, then again, I haven't seen you question Niko's effort... ever...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It means you find it perfectly fine to criticize basketball player's character and effort, yet have a complete double standard for football players, especially football QBs.

I wonder what you could have in common with football QBs that you don't with basketball players. But, then again, I haven't seen you question Niko's effort... ever...

dude, that's way out of line and a really shitty thing to accuse someone of being.

especially when posts on here are often misconstrued.

Edited by Green Crazy

I guess you would be the expert on agenda. The part I posted was directedly related to your agenda of calling Kram a closet racists. Playing the race card is fun for the whole family!

I guess I was supposed to completely repost the article again to make sure I covered everything that affected TM's play this year? No. I was addressing a specific aspect of his game that was being criticized by a couple of posters (and the author of the article).

First , I wasn't calling KRAM anything.

Second, Lifer posted in a football thread that I was a sorry SOB for criticizing BB not being able to move further up the depth chart, then comes to the basketball board and directly criticizes Mitchell's character when I would be willing to bet he has never even spoken to Tony Mitchell.

That is a very suspicious double standard, and one that he has held throughout basketball and Spring football, not just in 2 posts.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'd make the argument that the reason the "money sport" athletes don't donate is because they've contributed so much already. How much $$ has Manziel brought to Aggieland or RG3 brought to Baylor? They'll likely never make more on an annual basis than they brought to their schools.

• Upvote 2

Not true at all

I would like to hear more on this you can pm me if you want. I did not sit that far from Tonys mom and had a buddy who sat right infront of her who talked to her a lot. This might be news to me. you could answer here as well!

The saddest thing about this thread is seeing good UNT fans not only bash the most talented basketball player to put on a uniform for the Mean Green in the last 30 years, but openly hope that he doesn't succeed in the NBA just so they can point their finger and say "see, I told you it wasn't Benford's fault."

Even this program's fans are dysfunctional.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Not true at all

Is it possible that he was told last year that he would not likely be a first round pick so he decided to return for another year and try to improve his status?

Or was he a consensus lottery pick that chose to forgo the riches of the NBA for a chance to play for benfryzewski?

I guess we can only hope Andrew get a chance to talk to mrs. Mitchell so we can unwrap this mystery.

Edited by greenit