The story on UNT hoops target Carrington Ward

Harry

Carrington Ward, a 6-foot-4 shooting guard from Palm Beach State in Florida, has been linked to UNT in the last few days.

I made a couple of calls and spoke this afternoon with Palm Beach State assistant Ben Servidio.

Servidio said that Ward has committed to UNT and will likely sign with the Mean Green during the late signing period, as long as he can work through his eligibility situation. Ward spent just one season in junior college. Ward is from Philadelphia and is back at home trying to make sure that he is eligible to transfer to UNT and have three years of eligibility.

Read more: http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/2013/03/the-story-on-unt-hoops-target-carrington-ward.html/

Listed at 6'2" on multiple sites, which means he is really between 6' and 6'1". As long as he can shoot, I don't care. Was offered by Farleigh Dickinson and MD. Eastern shore out of high school.

Maybe we can get in on his teammate and former Longhorn recruit:

http://www.burntorangenation.com/2011/8/24/2381598/longhorn-basketball-recruit-kevin-thomas-fails-to-qualify

Funny to see Palm Beach CC list every one of their players 2 inches taller than their rivals listing. Thomas is listed at 6'9". Hardly.

Looks like he (Thomas) had some serious interest as a Canadian (not Texas) senior:

http://scouthoops.scout.com/2/1054774.html

Have no idea if Thomas is committed or not. Couldn't find a recent thing about him (nor do I know if we even eant him).

Too bad we couldn't have beat out Baby P for #13 ranked Holton, teammate of Carrington's. Woulda filled both needs.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

NT90 I understand that teams often give and inch or so when listing players but you constantly harp on it and say they are 4 inches shorter then anyone else. Do you have some sort of inferior height complex? You should get this checked out. It isnot good to tryto compensate for something ;)

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

NT90 I understand that teams often give and inch or so when listing players but you constantly harp on it and say they are 4 inches shorter then anyone else. Do you have some sort of inferior height complex? You should get this checked out. It isnot good to tryto compensate for something ;)

Anyone who showed up at the GMG basketball classic knows I definitely don't have an inferiority complex with height.

But you weren't there, Andrew.

Quick, tell me again how Nunn is 6'10", Skiver.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

• 1 month later...

Too bad we couldn't have beat out Baby P for #13 ranked Holton, teammate of Carrington's. Woulda filled both needs.

Holton has re opened his recruitment. I'd like to think there is already a relationship since our coaches spent a lot of time @ Palm Beach CC. Land Thomas and/or Holton & maybe we can win a few games next season

FYI Holton ran into a little trouble @ Rhode Island. Feel free to google ;)

Edited by NT03

No thanks on Holton.... He was the player I mentioned a few months ago who had a bad history. Assaulted people and made a video of himself and sold it on campus. He has been at with coaches in the past as well. FAU can keep him. I would much prefer Thomas over him!

Edited by Andrew

No thanks on Holton.... He was the player I mentioned a few months ago who had a bad history. Assaulted people and made a video of himself and sold it on campus. He has been at with coaches in the past as well. FAU can keep him. I would much prefer Thomas over him!

Where did u mention him at ? I can't find anything said in a gmg search

"He has been at with coaches in the past as well."

Just moved to the top of my list.

I try not to talk to poorly about players but trust me we are better off with Thomas and Vaughn's filling the last two ships. I heard a lot about this guy in the green room when FAU signed him. I could not have been less impressed with his baggage.

I think we also need a guard and a forward to round out the class.

Post- Nunn, Friar, Voss, Colman, Flash, potentially Thomas

Guards- jones, Walton and TJ are all injury prone coming into next season... Alzee is the only other true guard. I am considering Jordan a 3 because of his length and the fact I wouldn't feel comfortable with him brining the ball ip court.

Where did u mention him at ? I can't find anything said in a gmg search

I am not sure maybe it was in a chat room? I mentioned him the night or a few nights after I heard about him from a gentleman in the green room at a game. It was the day that cowboy chicken provided the food.... I could not forget that amazing cobbler!!!

Edit: I do not think that I used his name only what he had done.

Edited by Andrew

Maybe he just needs a father figure. Tony Benford can help turn this young man's life around

• Upvote 1

Maybe he just needs a father figure. Tony Benford can help turn this young man's life around

I suppose but I know he is really working on Alzee and Keith right now. There are also other coahces who mentor. I just think chemistry wise this signing him may not be a wise move. Also we will have plenty of post players with just Thomas added.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

The only legit big man we have is Keith Coleman. Can't imagine going into another season with him being our best options. The other guys are undersized centers and/or power forwards. If we can't find someone better than Coleman, I'm for signing the best basketball player we can get.

• Upvote 2

The only legit big man we have is Keith Coleman. Can't imagine going into another season with him being our best options. The other guys are undersized centers and/or power forwards. If we can't find someone better than Coleman, I'm for signing the best basketball player we can get.

I completely understand but we have 4 guards coming into next season and three of them are coming off injuries. Assuming Jordan is the 3. If we have an injury at guard we could be in trouble! I want a solid guard and a JUCO big.

Cooley...still wondering why you said that Flannigan (Flash) was a wasted ship". Really would like to have your thoughts on that. Are you talking about what you see in his abilities or is it something else?

• Upvote 2

I completely understand but we have 4 guards coming into next season and three of them are coming off injuries. Assuming Jordan is the 3. If we have an injury at guard we could be in trouble! I want a solid guard and a JUCO big.

I want quality. Potential all league performers. Guys that make the team better. Guys whose names maybe hung in the rafters down the line. I don't think you should go into a recruiting season looking to improve depth. Looking for bodies at particular positions when we have a glaring weakness at the center position. If this team was loaded I can understand filling out a roster spot with a position type of guy. We're not loaded.

Despite some talent (yet to be cultivated), we will probably be picked near the bottom of the league next year. We're going to have to step it up (talent wise) to compete with Tulsa, LA Tech, UTEP and others. Sign the best basketball players we can; to sustain the program beyond 2013-14. We're not winning CUSA or playing in any post season tournaments with our current front court guys. Andrew, I just think we need to trust that our guards will return healthy. I have no other reason to believe that they won't be fully rehabilitated having been out almost a full year. Chris Jones came back prior to the tournament. TJ should be fine and Walton seems like he was on schedule.

We maybe saying the same thing but I don't see as urgent of a need at guard over a talented big man. Number wise, I understand your point that we should look to the guard position but we have yet to address (in a serious way) the center position, unfortunately. Anyway, just my thoughts.

• Upvote 2