America One Conference?

Harry

Something like how the Baylor Golden Wave Band does their pre-game without the running/jogging/prancing part. Instead just do the UTSA band's quick step.

Hell, I like the way the Golden Wave just enters the stadium.....

A grand entrance, a big fanfare (we don't have to come up with a new one, the first down fanfare we used during games would do nicely) and then break into the fight song with a quick step.

I like the Baylor announcer too.

We have a grand and storied music program here at North Texas Shouldn't our entrance to the stadium and the entrance for pre-game reflect that? Good God! we are underachieving in this aspect of our game day performance.

• Downvote 1

Atmosphere was the goal that obviously didn't come through the post:) The pagentry of college football will be in effect with this rivalry. The rivalry will not be because of the bands. But college football to me is big mass sections with bands, painted fans and a good game and of course beer. All of those things will be in force in the Alamodome in 2014.

GMG

Sorry to be snarky here, but I just can't resist. If we have a rivalry with UTSA that is based anything on what you just posted, this will be further proof that our school really does care a lot more about music than athletics. I can only imagine the highlights from this "rivalry"--nothing on ESPN or Fox Sports, but great coverage on VH1!! Seriously, I may very well be in the vast UNT minority within our fanbase, but I could not care less on how our band matches up against another school's band.

I know you guys are excited, but you can't force a rivalry. They have to occur naturally, which takes at least a few years.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I know you guys are excited, but you can't force a rivalry. They have to occur naturally, which takes at least a few years.

And just who has Houston developed a "natural" rivalry with? It couldn't be Rice because their arrogant alums probably don't even regard ya'll as a legitimate University. They're probably the ones that started calling ya'll "Cougar High". And even if there was some sort of rivalry, what's going to happen now that Houston and Rice have gone their separate ways.

• Upvote 1

And just who has Houston developed a "natural" rivalry with? It couldn't be Rice because their arrogant alums probably don't even regard ya'll as a legitimate University. They're probably the ones that started calling ya'll "Cougar High". And even if there was some sort of rivalry, what's going to happen now that Houston and Rice have gone their separate ways.

Rice alumni arrogant? I'm not saying it's not true, I just haven't seen it among those I've known.

• Upvote 2

Rivalry, indeed, Cougar Cub. You tried to develop one with Texas, but that rivalry was all in your own little poser and delusional minds. I can't recall any real rivalry you had with a single team all those years you were in the SWC. Incidentally we were tied with you in the all time won lost record until the last two years and we will get the edge again if you will play us again in the future, for that future is ours - not yours.

• Upvote 1

I hate to agree with a troll, but this is 100% correct.

EDIT: Not 100%. There would have been no AQ bid or high-dollar ESPN deal.

I will second the motion. I have not been impressed with Banowsky. He couldn't even show-up to UNT on-time for the CUSA announcement and his office is only 20 minutes away. When you have to be some place important you leave early.

• Upvote 1

I will second the motion. I have not been impressed with Banowsky. He couldn't even show-up to UNT on-time for the CUSA announcement and his office is only 20 minutes away. When you have to be some place important you leave early.

He was coming from the airport and had been like three places via flights on that day.

How about a name with a nice familiar ring? The NFC - Nuclear Fission Congress. After all, the Big East is known primarily these days for splitting up.

I'll overlook your ignorance just this once. Aggy were the ones who came up with Cougar High because we were one of the first universities in Texas to admit black students. The mindset in College Station (and most of the south for that matter) was that no legitimate university would admit black students so therefore it must be a high school.

That's also funny how you try to downplay the UH-Rice rivalry even though we have been playing for the Bayou Bucket for over 40 years and seeing that we still have games scheduled for years to come, I have completely made your argument invalid.

You're like a hemorrhoid that won't go away.

Everybody else has accepted that I'm here to stay, you should too.

Rice alumni arrogant? I'm not saying it's not true, I just haven't seen it among those I've known.

Not just alumni, current students also have an elitist attitude. It's sickening, they're much worse than SMU.

Rivalry, indeed, Cougar Cub. You tried to develop one with Texas, but that rivalry was all in your own little poser and delusional minds. I can't recall any real rivalry you had with a single team all those years you were in the SWC. Incidentally we were tied with you in the all time won lost record until the last two years and we will get the edge again if you will play us again in the future, for that future is ours - not yours.

So much fail.

First off, nobody wanted you in the SWC so you honestly don't have much of a right to comment on what went on then since you're an outsider looking in. Second, if there were no rivalries, then why is our handsign an eternal "f*** you to whorn? Why does Whorn and mainly big daddy Deloss still holding a grudge against us? Why did Aggy sabotage us before our CUSA championship game last year? Why do they still dodge us in football? If there were no rivalries, then what the hell do we have with Rice and why have we been playing for the Bayou bucket for over 40 years? Why are current UH and Rice students bashing each other and their schools on Facebook? Why does SMU still hate us for dropping 95 on them and throwing 700+ passing yards AND gaining over 1000 yards of total offense in 1 game? Again, don't talk about something you clearly don't know anything about.

Second, you guys weren't even competitive against us this past season or the year before. If you want a chance to get the edge again, tell McCarney to stop having the worst recruiting class in Texas and the country for the matter, stop making excuses for him when he has his shortcomings. I mean, I wasn't a fan a Levine's coaching but at least his 2013 class was #50 in the country, outrecruitng all non-AQs, some Big 12, ACC, PAC and B1G schools.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

Hate to say this but Coog speaks some truth. Dan better know what he is doing because UNT has to scratch and claw its way into relevance. This is not like America today where handouts are plentiful. Scratch, claw, screech, recruit, light up the scoreboard and get into Texas College football relevance. The Dallas Cowboys are the premier entitlement team in the state. Even Texas shuts its trap when it knows it is subpar. Houston has history. They have scoreboard and then some. They have rivalries. They are hated for a reason.

Time to nut it up Green and this fall better be a CUSA coming out bash. There are no handouts.

GMG

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Well, whaddya know. I guess the rumors about big daddy DeLoss being sick and not in control of the athletic department must be true since we'll be playing the whorns on Tuesday in baseball AT Cougar Field and Wednesday in men's basketball at Hofheinz for the first round in the CBI tournament.

Well, whaddya know. I guess the rumors about big daddy DeLoss being sick and not in control of the athletic department must be true since we'll be playing the whorns on Tuesday in baseball AT Cougar Field and Wednesday in men's basketball at Hofheinz for the first round in the CBI tournament.

CBI -- isn't that a pay-to-play post season tournament?

• Upvote 2

I'll overlook your ignorance. The reason that Uof H is called "Cougar High" is because it was started by and part of the Houston ISD. It began as a Junior College in 1927 and in 1945 the Texas Legislature placed it under th authority of the State of Texas. Houston did not integrate until 1960, did not have integrated sports programs until 1964 and did not join the SWC until 1976. NT was integrated in 1954 and sports integrated in 1956. I believe that you are correct when you state the Aggies, from Houston I would add, came up with "Cougar High". They were mocking their hometown University.

I'll overlook your ignorance just this once. Aggy were the ones who came up with Cougar High because we were one of the first universities in Texas to admit black students. The mindset in College Station (and most of the south for that matter) was that no legitimate university would admit black students so therefore it must be a high school.

• Upvote 1

That's also funny how you try to downplay the UH-Rice rivalry even though we have been playing for the Bayou Bucket for over 40 years and seeing that we still have games scheduled for years to come, I have completely made your argument invalid.

Everybody else has accepted that I'm here to stay, you should too.

Not just alumni, current students also have an elitist attitude. It's sickening, they're much worse than SMU.

So much fail.

First off, nobody wanted you in the SWC so you honestly don't have much of a right to comment on what went on then since you're an outsider looking in. Second, if there were no rivalries, then why is our handsign an eternal "f*** you to whorn? Why does Whorn and mainly big daddy Deloss still holding a grudge against us? Why did Aggy sabotage us before our CUSA championship game last year? Why do they still dodge us in football? If there were no rivalries, then what the hell do we have with Rice and why have we been playing for the Bayou bucket for over 40 years? Why are current UH and Rice students bashing each other and their schools on Facebook? Why does SMU still hate us for dropping 95 on them and throwing 700+ passing yards AND gaining over 1000 yards of total offense in 1 game? Again, don't talk about something you clearly don't know anything about.

Second, you guys weren't even competitive against us this past season or the year before. If you want a chance to get the edge again, tell McCarney to stop having the worst recruiting class in Texas and the country for the matter, stop making excuses for him when he has his shortcomings. I mean, I wasn't a fan a Levine's coaching but at least his 2013 class was #50 in the country, outrecruitng all non-AQs, some Big 12, ACC, PAC and B1G schools.

Rice is a far better school than SMU. They deserve an elitist school. You guys might as well be a community college, Rice is an elite Ivy South. The Bayou Bowl is a one-way rivalry, Rice students don't really care because they're too busy outperforming you in the job market and telling UH grads what to do. They let their actions speak for their words. The Bayou Bucket this year couldn't have had more than 13K at Reliant Stadium. Truly embarrassing.

Weren't even competitive? Well, maybe. We did give you all you could handle, for a half. Recruiting doesn't really matter or UT would be winning national championships ever year.

Furthermore, I'm a through and through Houstonian, the name Cougar High is simply because you started as a junior college owned by a school district. These are facts. If you grew up in Houston, you'd understand the name "Cougar High" and why I didn't waste my time attending UH due to the fact I want a job in Houston.

Edited by meangreener

Rice is a far better school than SMU. They deserve an elitist school. You guys might as well be a community college, Rice is an elite Ivy South. The Bayou Bowl is a one-way rivalry, Rice students don't really care because they're too busy outperforming you in the job market and telling UH grads what to do. They let their actions speak for their words. The Bayou Bucket this year couldn't have had more than 13K at Reliant Stadium. Truly embarrassing.

Weren't even competitive? Well, maybe. We did give you all you could handle, for a half. Recruiting doesn't really matter or UT would be winning national championships ever year.

Furthermore, I'm a through and through Houstonian, the name Cougar High is simply because you started as a junior college owned by a school district. These are facts. If you grew up in Houston, you'd understand the name "Cougar High" and why I didn't waste my time attending UH due to the fact I want a job in Houston.

If they didn't care about what we do, then why do they always have a meltdown whenever we have a major success in something (building a new stadium, getting College Gameday on our campus, going to the conference formerly known as the Big East, City Hall glowing COUGAR RED and the fact that the Mayor is a Rice alum and allowed this. etc. etc.)

Recruiting doesn't matter? You are definitely the biggest idiot on this board. If Recruiting didn't matter, UNT would be going to bowl games year in and year out. It's obviously not everything but to say it doesn't matter is asinine.

Your last comment, which I bolded doesn't make sense AT ALL. We have over 150-200k alumns in Houston ALONE. So again, stop talking about something you know absolutely nothing about, tearing apart your claims is quite tedious.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

That kind of thing can be a real road block when trying to convince future members to join... after all we all know that uconn and cincy leave yesterday if the ACC or another bigger conference comes calling... and no tv contract is a nightmare situation for conference stability

Edited by outoftown

If they didn't care about what we do, then why do they always have a meltdown whenever we have a major success in something (building a new stadium, getting College Gameday on our campus, going to the conference formerly known as the Big East, City Hall glowing COUGAR RED and the fact that the Mayor is a Rice alum and allowed this. etc. etc.)

Recruiting doesn't matter? You are definitely the biggest idiot on this board. If Recruiting didn't matter, UNT would be going to bowl games year in and year out. It's obviously not everything but to say it doesn't matter is asinine.

Your last comment, which I bolded doesn't make sense AT ALL. We have over 150-200k alumns in Houston ALONE. So again, stop talking about something you know absolutely nothing about, tearing apart your claims is quite tedious.

Rice is too busy acheiving medical breakthroughs to care about their waiters.

See, what's funny is that in my desperation to get back to Houston, I've applied to graduate school at UH and been accepted since Rice is mostly undergraduate. Not because of academics, but solely because it's the only other school in Houston. Building a new stadium? Oh, we already did that. You have had to downgrade plans, cost and capacity too for being too overzealous...getting College Gameday, well, there ya go, here's a cookie...the Big East is worse than every conference other than the Sun Belt and travel costs + setting a new conference + lack of name recognition pull away the extremely minute financial gain y'all may get and you better hope UConn and Cincy stay (not likely) or there's no TV contract, the city hall, that's pretty cool, yeah, congrats...she's a Rice alum...coincidence? Rice alum telling UH grads what to do? Hmmm...she's trying to get re-elected and it's really only a rivalry from the UH side, so not really stunning...)

It's not really assinine. Look at recruiting in 2012. Lets run through a few of the best classes of 2012...

UT...#2 recruiting class translated to a 8-4 season and a bowl win...with a #2 class you'd expect BCS games...including the epic loss to OU...

Michigan...#7 recruiting class...another 8-4 season and a bowl loss...

The U...#9 recruiting class...7-5...

Auburn...#10 recruiting class...3-9...0-8 SEC...Auburn's wins coming over ULM, NMSU and Alabama A&M...

Tennessee...#17 recruiting class...5-7, 1-7 SEC...

Washington...#21 recruiting class...7-5...lost bowl...

Virginia Tech...#22 recruiting class...6-6...won bowl...

I think you get the point so far...recruiting is a shitstorm...let's keep going...

Let's look at the bottom...

Fresno State...#121 recruiting class...9-4

Utah State...#115 recruiting class...11-2

Ball State...#115 recruiting class...8-5

Middle Tennessee...#111 recruiting class...8-4

ULM...#111 recruiting class...8-5

Kent State...#99 recruiting class...11-3

Louisiana Tech...#96 recruiting class...9-3

San Diego State...#97 recruiting class...9-4

ULL...#94 recruiting class...9-4

NIU...#94 recruiting class...12-2, your BCS busting NIU

Bottom dwellers in the NCAA last year?

Southern Miss...#70

Colorado...#36

Akron...#118

NMSU...#98

Washington...#21

Auburn...#10

UMass...#115 (not really fair, they are transitional)

Idaho...#114

Kansas...#74

Illinois...#64

So, a majority of bottom 10ers were in the top/middle pack of the recruiting standings...hmm...

Wrong again.

In recruiting, you pick your players THAT FIT INTO YOUR SYSTEM. Just because you have a good recruiting class doesn't mean anything. At all.

You have Houston alums in Houston...cool...clearly none in Dallas, considering I got questions if we were playing Hawaii when we played in Denton...and that wasn't my point. Not to mention we brought more fans to Houston and had more enthusiasm in your dead atmosphere game day experience...if you grew up in Houston, you'd realize there's a reason that the majority of Houston college students leave to UT, A&M, Tech, UNT, UTA, UTD, SFA, etc. 150k-200k is not true, you have about 220k TOTAL alumni...http://www.uh.edu/alumni/ ...wrong again...seems a little low, maybe it's registered alumni, either UH should probably work on their wording...

We have half of your total alumni in DFW alone...most get jobs in DFW, the rest go and make waves in music, business, film, etc...

But, come on, this is a proud alum of UH, I guess we are definitely inferior...

Lil-Wayne1-608x650.jpg

/myGL2greatness style rant

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2