Anyone think ACU will catch up with us?

Baylor and Notre Dame have done pretty good for religious schools

Didn't a bunch of Catholic schools just break off from somebig name conference too? I forget.

If you think daily life at ACU is similar to that at Baylor or Notre Dame... You're mistaken. There are "Christian" schools and there are "Church of Christ" schools.
  • Upvote 1

If you think daily life at ACU is similar to that at Baylor or Notre Dame... You're mistaken. There are "Christian" schools and there are "Church of Christ" schools.

No of course not. My point is that religious schools ARE able to suceed and become big time programs. I'm not saying ACU will pass us, but it could happen if we don't get our stuff together.

UTSA has passed us by, or are at least at our level.

TSSM on the other hand, absolutely not. They did sell out the Tech game, but the thing was like 30/70 TSSM/Tech fans, then promptly went back to the gutter in attendance.

They're still in the Sun Belt. Which, as bad as the CUSA is now, the SBC is firmly cemented as the bottom rung of FBS football after this realignment. I mean, schools wanted to get out of there SO BAD that they paid a lot of money to skip out a year early (MTSU, anyone)?

Really? Well TSSM averaged 18,944 in attendance for football during the 2012 season. We averaged 19,067 in our 2nd year (2012) at Apogee, and we have yet to sell it out. So, we averaged 123 more people in attendance for 2012. In 2011, with a new stadium, new coach, plus games against Houston, and Big Ten Indiana we averaged 18,864. My point is that we should not be looking down our nose at anybody.

Edited by Green Dozer
  • Upvote 3

Really? Well TSSM averaged 18,944 in attendance for football during the 2012 season. We averaged 19,067 in our 2nd year (2012) at Apogee, and we have yet to sell it out. So, we averaged 123 more people in attendance for 2012. In 2011, with a new stadium, new coach, plus games against Houston, and Big Ten Indiana we averaged 18,864. My point is that we should not be looking down our nose at anybody.

I think we blow the lid off of our average attendance this year (like increasing somewhere between 1k - 2k / game), even if we're not playing well. If we're playing well (.500 record or better) look for a 3k - 5k difference and near sell-outs.

If we don't, something is seriously wrong with the marketing folks, even though I expect the biggest increase to come from the students... or the bottom fell out of our team and we only win 1 or 2 games.

(13) Who did I leave out?

1) Idaho

2) New Mexico State

3) Northwestern State

4) Sam Houston State

5) Nicholls State

6) Drake

7) St. Louis

8) Bradley

9) West Texas A&M

10) Midwestern State

11) Abilene Christian

12) Hardin-Simmons

13) Trinity

14) Texas A&M-Commerce

15) Stephen F. Austin

16) Decatur Baptist College

Their problem with football will be that they built that program on non-qualifiers. Manning was committed to Nebraska but couldn't get in because of grades. They also struck gold on a Vernon connection that landed them Bernard Scott, Clyde Edmund Gates, Daryl Richardson (who was drafted in 2012 and spent the season as Steven Jackson's backup....so that's 5 in the NFL) and Aston Whiteside who was in camp with the Cowboys.

They won't make the rapid ascent UTSA has because of the difference in population and because they will need the full amount of time to fully fund all scholarships. They have a plan right now to phase in a certain number every year....I think 5.

They also currently play their games at a stadium shared with Abilene ISD (Shotwell) and are in the process of funding an on campus stadium.

So, if they do ever catch up to UNT, it will take some time.

That said, they do have D1 ready track and baseball programs. Both should compete well out of the gate.

• Upvote 1

Their problem with football will be that they built that program on non-qualifiers. Manning was committed to Nebraska but couldn't get in because of grades. They also struck gold on a Vernon connection that landed them Bernard Scott, Clyde Edmund Gates, Daryl Richardson (who was drafted in 2012 and spent the season as Steven Jackson's backup....so that's 5 in the NFL) and Aston Whiteside who was in camp with the Cowboys.

I didn't know that about Daryl. Are you familiar with Vernon ? Is he related to Derrick Richardson ? He was probably the best RB I've ever seen on the High School level

I didn't know that about Daryl. Are you familiar with Vernon ? Is he related to Derrick Richardson ? He was probably the best RB I've ever seen on the High School level

Not sure on that.

I do know that Daryl Richardson and Bernard Scott are brothers. Edmund Gates and Aston Whiteside are their cousins. Crazy talent in that family that made its way to ACU.

UTSA has passed us by, or are at least at our level.

TSSM on the other hand, absolutely not. They did sell out the Tech game, but the thing was like 30/70 TSSM/Tech fans, then promptly went back to the gutter in attendance.

They're still in the Sun Belt. Which, as bad as the CUSA is now, the SBC is firmly cemented as the bottom rung of FBS football after this realignment. I mean, schools wanted to get out of there SO BAD that they paid a lot of money to skip out a year early (MTSU, anyone)?

Looking at the DFW market vs. San Marcus I would have to think that they did a much better job filling their stands that we did. Looking at their performance vs.Houston and comparing it against ours ,I think they fielded a better team.Therefore, I feel that they have passed us by,and if I were to rank the 1A football programs in Texas i would put us D.A.L.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Looking at the DFW market vs. San Marcus I would have to think that they did a much better job filling their stands that we did. Looking at their performance vs.Houston and comparing it against ours ,I think they fielded a better team.Therefore, I feel that they have passed us by,and if I were to rank the 1A football programs in Texas i would put us D.A.L.

So they had one better game than us and sold out the stadium with 20K Tech fans=passing us by? LOL.

• Upvote 2

We're not unlike any other group in America. That is, you can divide us into two easily identifiable groups.

The first group looks at our situation, how we fit into the overall big picture, and is realistic about it.

The second group looks at our situation, how we fit into the overall big picture, and sees rainbows and unicorns.

• Downvote 1

We're not unlike any other group in America. That is, you can divide us into two easily identifiable groups.

The first group looks at our situation, how we fit into the overall big picture, and is realistic about it.

The second group looks at our situation, how we fit into the overall big picture, and sees rainbows and unicorns.

There's actually another group though.

It looks at our situation, how we fit into the overall big picture, and sees a river of piss with other schools floating right on by.

• Upvote 1

Agreed. and if we lose our home opener against Idaho,......