Recruiting Deregulation is huge

Harry

8 Ways Recruiting will affect your school

Listened to Norm this morning -- basically the NCAA has realized that they can't possibly monitor or manage all of the social network and texting and have lifted restrictions including in home and school visits...; Vito wrote in an article that Nebraska just hired a model to help chaperone recruits during visits -- hired former Coach Kevin Steele to basically manage social media interaction 24-7 365....

We have always taken the position that you needed to be careful in terms of how you interact with recruits but from what I have seen in the past couple of years, fans are bombarding recruit twitter accounts and facebook etc.. the best example this past season was a Colorado State fan that kept hounding Kahlee Woods, "hey man really hope you come to Colorado State... glad you had a great visit" etc...

What does this mean for us? Well we know Mac is old school and probably won't become a social media phenom anytime soon but we are going to have to address the social media in a big way, and likely hire someone to manage that process.</p>

Do I like this --- not sure about that but I know it is probably here to stay and the NCAA would never be able to manage it effectively anyway.

Will the rich get richer -- sure the BCS schools will have the biggest budgets and will be able to hire the most support --

But in the end you still only have 25 scholarships to give; Thank goodness for that.

Some of you may know this but before I became a hard core Mean Green fan I maniacally followed the Houston Oilers.&nbsp; In fact, I would go to Willis Library - not to study - but to get copies of the Houston papers to read anything about the Oilers that I could.; When Bud Adams let greed take the franchise away it soured me on professional football to this day. College sports was cleaner and North Texas became my team and obsession. I am getting concerned that the NCAA is allowing greed to take over this great sport and it worries me. GMG!

actually... i don't think this would immediately help out the bigger schools necessarily...

it really opens up ways for some of the smaller schools to think outside the box and get creative with how they can reach out and affect some of these recruits

The problem with that theory is you will always have the bigger schools having bigger budgets to manage that process...money talks... I hope you are right. Honestly I think UNT needs to hire a social media manager or assign someone to do that. It is a BIG part of the process now and these rules only make it bigger.

I agree that NCAA pretending to be able to monitor all this stuff was ridiculous...and the deregulation of it makes sense. I just wish they would have limited the amount of money a school can put towards staffing this...that would have leveled the playing field.

actually... i don't think this would immediately help out the bigger schools necessarily...

it really opens up ways for some of the smaller schools to think outside the box and get creative with how they can reach out and affect some of these recruits

The bigger schools have full time personal dedicated to recruiting. Bama is running like an NFL team with all the people they have

8 Ways Recruiting will affect your school

. I am getting concerned that the NCAA is allowing greed to take over this great sport and it worries me. GMG!

Penn St did it for me. Forget just football, as an institution, they made a conscious decision to protect their ability to generate donor contributions to grow their endowment (as Paterno was their top donation getter) than on just simply obeying the law and turning in a pedophile.

The more time passes, the clearer this becomes. Forget all the emotion. If Sandusky is busted just once, maybe you can excuse a rash emotional decision. But it went on for years, and each time a new situation arose the institution responded the same.

It's not the NCAA that is at fault. It's on the individual member institutions that refuse to collectively take a stand. The reward for victory is riches, and at the highest levels those riches equate to billion dollar endowments. With that kind of money at stake there will always be problems amongst those trying to chase it. The NCAA only has whatever power its individual member institutions grant it.

Edited by TIgreen01
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I think the NCAA should allow schools to sign kids to LOI between June 1st and August 1st prior to their Sr. year in High School. Most of the major schools would be finished with their recruiting and the kids could attend to business without the constant interference . No need to worry about students switching schools at the last minute or schools withdrawing offers. Perhaps, if the head coach leaves before the Feb. commitment date all players that have commited to that school can switch schools , however the school cannot decline to honor an offer already made.

I think the NCAA should allow schools to sign kids to LOI between June 1st and August 1st prior to their Sr. year in High School. Most of the major schools would be finished with their recruiting and the kids could attend to business without the constant interference . No need to worry about students switching schools at the last minute or schools withdrawing offers. Perhaps, if the head coach leaves before the Feb. commitment date all players that have commited to that school can switch schools , however the school cannot decline to honor an offer already made.

100% agree, an early signing period would solve a lot of issues.

100% agree, an early signing period would solve a lot of issues.

Logistically, it certainly seems like it...no more of the "mad rush" before the normal signing day and players switching commitments...but that seems like such a simple solution. Is it on of those "right in front of everyone's face and we missed it" things, or is there a bigger reason behind why it hasn't been done before? Even without the new wrinkle of social networking it would seem that someone would have presented this before. I'm sure quite a few, if not all, of the big programs would have reasons for appreciating this as well.

Damn the dastardly rich! (Oh wait a minute, only ones I ever worked for were actually rich so don't damn them too hard or future SSI benefit checks may not be as large as they would have been otherwise). Also, talking about the NCAA rich.....Won't Southern Miss get a $1 million pay day for playing in Lincoln, Nebraska this Fall and be able to pay off a 1 year HFC's salary with that money, too)? Rich can't be too bad since UNT has also benefitted with some nice pay days, too, from the likes of LSU, Alabama, Texas. etc, etc, etc..

Lets just put all 131 (?) NCAA FBS schools in one pool and make them all equal. Of course, there would be no real incentive to produce an annual national championship with this ingenious and new idea--just make all schools completely equal and that whether they are or not.

Furthermore.....the NCAA can award each of the 131 FBS schools a nicely framed national championship certificate no matter how pathetic some of those schools records will be annually. That way we don't have to make those who cannot compete feel so badly about their place in the NCAA world and (for the most part) take any incentives away from that group to improve their lot in NCAA life. Now isn't that really the fair thing to do for all the NCAA unfortunates? Also, to muddy up the waters even more, just make them hate all of the NCAA success stories.

Now wait a minute....might we even at the NCAA level be fliriting too close to something we used to call communism; you know, another word

we cannot use in our society any longer without being called a real mean'ie?

Recruiting? If we can't beat em' at their game----just join them at their game; something many of us sorta' wished we'd been aiming toward the last 30 years but fact is.........it is still not too late for North Texas IMHO.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1