Practice facility update

oldguystudent

What exactly is the tennis complex lacking?I honestly do not know the answer. Let me know!

Thanks.

GMG

The BIG empty space in the middle of the Waranch Tennis Complex is where they're supposed to build a large championship center court surrounded by a bowl of seats to use during tournaments, conference championships, UIL tournaments/championships, NCAA Regionals or more (pro tennis events).

In Texas, only Rice has anything else close to a center court. They have one championship court that has seating on three sides with a big scoreboard.

I think the tennis complex has enough seating. I attended a match about 3 years ago. All the fans (both of us) were able to find a seat at any court we chose. When we can't get 1000 out of 35,000 students to attend basketball games (this year and last year and every year since the 70s), I think expanding the seating for tennis is not a good allocation of capital. There is a reason only Rice has such a stadium. UNT students just don't give a rat's ass about UNT athletics. When I was in school, we filled the old pit for every game. It was like Duke-UNC is now. I think some who didn't care that much about basketball just came to yell and scream Those were the most exciting athletic events I have ever attended, nothing else has ever come close. The adrenalin rush was the best high I ever had. I would go back to the apt. and couldn't sleep that night. I had hoped that I might see that again at NT, but not in my lifetime. If ever I want to see that again, I will have to go to Duke-UNC or Oklahome- OK State, but never again at NT. And before I am attacked, I hold season tickets for football, men's and women's basketball, MGC member and attend every game.

• Upvote 2

baseball...what a waste of money. spend that cash on football! we shouldn't be adding sports until we've got an indoor facility and we're paying coaches like we're big time. instead, we'll be funding a non-revenue sport with what little resources we have. donors may be funding the start up for baseball, but will they be covering the total expenses every year? doubtful. football first

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 4

baseball...what a waste of money. spend that cash on football! we shouldn't be adding sports until we've got an indoor facility and we're paying coaches like we're big time. instead, we'll be funding a non-revenue sport with what little resources we have. donors may be funding the start up for baseball, but will they be covering the total expenses every year? doubtful. football first

I tend to agree with this but for two points.

1. I believe there are some wealthy alums who want to give money to have baseball. If they want to give millions you allow them to do it. If they are happy, they will be much more likely to give when you need money for other projects.

2. It may make us more desirable to other conferences to have baseball. I don't see why it would because it's not really a revenue sport, but then again I'm also not invited to conference meetings where these things are discussed. So if it makes that kind of impact, then you do it.

• Upvote 4

Yeah, and while we are at it, who needs Tennis, Swimming and Diving, Golf, Soccer, Softball, Track and Field, Volleyball, and Cross Country? I don't watch these and they take money away from what I watch. /sarcasm

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1