Just talked to a scout

Dr. Seuss

I can't see why he stays another year. Benford has already cost tony millions, another year with him coaching and tony might end up in Europe

Please give it up already... Its getting old. We get it. You are envious because you cannot coach a basketball team so you resort to screaming on the sidelines. Benford has messed up nothing for Tony. Tony has not hustled. You should have seen the scouts when Mitchell just sat there as 42 went up for the dunk over him. That is Mitchel not Benford. Stick to screaming at the refs during games an let Benford do his job.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 26

Why the big difference from his play last year to this year Andrew? What's changed? He even has a better supporting cast around him this season. After last season he was a top 15 pick. At this point I doubt he's a first rounder at all.

Andrew, please answer, what has been the biggest change for tony and this team from last season to this season?

Edited by H-towngreen
  • Upvote 3

Andrew... Benford is a horrible coach! explain to me how are we worse with the same players?!?!?! Lets see what has changed....... oh ya the COACH. Why don't you give up defending him. He literally subbed countless times. he subbed half the team with 20.3 seconds in the 1st half!

Edited by mgfan
  • Upvote 2

Why the big difference from his play last year to this year Andrew? What's changed? He even has a better supporting cast around him this season. After last season he was a top 15 pick. At this point I doubt he's a first rounder at all.

Andrew, please answer, what has been the biggest change for tony and this team from last season to this season?

Because the players are being asked to actually run within a system. Johhny had no system. If you cannot see the difference between our offense this year and last year then I do not know what to tell you. (When I say this I am not talking about scoring baskets I am talking about moving without the ball). Benford is actually forcing the team to play as a team. We have been at our best when CJ is on the bench and Tony gets fewer touches. I am not saying either are bad players, but CJ is out of control and has no fundamentals. As for Tony he is getting swamped in the paint. He needs to learn to play with his back to the basket.

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 7
  • Downvote 8

Please give it up already... Its getting old. We get it. You are envious because you cannot coach a basketball team so you resort to screaming on the sidelines. Benford has messed up nothing for Tony. Tony has not hustled. You should have seen the scouts when Mitchell just sat there as 42 went up for the dunk over him. That is Mitchel not Benford. Stick to screaming at the refs during games an let Benford do his job.

You are right Andrew. Someone needs to give it up already. Look in the mirror and see who it is.

• Upvote 7

Andrew... Benford is a horrible coach! explain to me how are we worse with the same players?!?!?! Lets see what has changed....... oh ya the COACH. Why don't you give up defending him. He literally subbed countless times. he subbed half the team with 20.3 seconds in the 1st half!

I cannot justify his subbing patterns, but on paper the minutes look correct. To the average fan I suppose Benford looks like a pitiful coach. Last game I sat behind a younger guy who the whole time just criticized Benford non stop without even seeing what was going down on the court. Chris Jones is at the heart of our issues. He is not a leader nor a fundamental point guard. I understand he has been playing injured this year but it does not excuse his lack of leadership on the floor. Did you watch the game? Did you see the amount of turnovers and missed open shots?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

There were several scouts and NBA reps in the audience that agree with Andrew. Maybe those guys better figure out something about basketball too, right? They obviously don't know a thing either. Hmmmmmmmmm.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 6

I can't see why he stays another year. Benford has already cost tony millions, another year with him coaching and tony might end up in Europe

NO, Tony Mitchell has cost Tony millions! Chris is a streetballer while JW and Tony M are lazy and don't have the heart to even compete for a Sumbelt Championship. If they are as talented and were the winners most of you here make them out to be, then they could win a Sunbelt Championship in any system. This conference is not the AAC!

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

NO, Tony Mitchell has cost Tony millions! Chris is a streetballer while JW and Tony M are lazy and don't have the heart to even compete for a Sumbelt Championship. If they are as talented and were the winners most of you here make them out to be, then they could win a Sunbelt Championship in any system. This conference is not the AAC!

I watched the Sunbelt championship games last year. Tony wasn't lazy and showed plenty of heart. He was gutted by the loss, he gave everything he had. Same as 90 asked, what has changed?

• Upvote 3

Neither can Benford, but he keeps screaming on the sidelines and you are cool with him. Well except when he gives the bench a puzzled look 50 times a game...

• Upvote 2

I cannot justify his subbing patterns, but on paper the minutes look correct. To the average fan I suppose Benford looks like a pitiful coach. Last game I sat behind a younger guy who the whole time just criticized Benford non stop without even seeing what was going down on the court. Chris Jones is at the heart of our issues. He is not a leader nor a fundamental point guard. I understand he has been playing injured this year but it does not excuse his lack of leadership on the floor. Did you watch the game? Did you see the amount of turnovers and missed open shots?

This part I agree with you on Skivdrew.

Let's look at Chris's stats for these 4 of our 7 loses:

0 pts against Creighton

6 pts against VA

7 pts against UTA

and 0 pts against Lehigh.

If Chris played with consistency and played a more careful and calculated game might have fared better in each of these games. When your starting point guard has two games with 0 pts against Mid-Major competition that tells me all I need to know. CJ is not the answer to this team and as much as I want to like him I think he hinders more than he helps.

Well the teams that are picking in the lottery are there for a reason...

You believe that professional NBA scouts that do this for a living (In the NBA) now know nothing about basketball? Good grief. Why do we even have coaches, scouts, or even refs. It is obvious we just needs the fans running teams and organizations. They know so much more then people who have dedicated their lives to this. I do not see Benford coming to anyone's job and saying he could do it better.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Is it not the coach's job to prepare his players to be ready to play? Our team is not prepared and the players are not motivated to play hard. It is the coach's job to put his talent together and make sure they perform on the court. You think this team would be 5-7 if JJ was still here? I think not...

• Upvote 3

You believe that professional NBA scouts that do this for a living (In the NBA) now know nothing about basketball? Good grief. Why do we even have coaches, scouts, or even refs. It is obvious we just needs the fans running teams and organizations. They know so much more then people who have dedicated their lives to this. I do not see Benford coming to anyone's job and saying he could do it better.

And you think that ALL of them are good at their jobs? None of them do a poor job? None of them are duds? Kevin Mchale called and wants you to be his fan club president.

As for dedicating their lives to it, don't confuse effort with ability.

Edited by Army of Dad
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Well the teams that are picking in the lottery are there for a reason...

Yes...yes they were. I wonder what they felt like they saw regarding what they came there to see? I am certainly not an NBA guy. So, what do you experts think they saw and how they evaluated what they saw? Lottery pick?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I watched the Sunbelt championship games last year. Tony wasn't lazy and showed plenty of heart. He was gutted by the loss, he gave everything he had. Same as 90 asked, what has changed?

I did to! He played good in those games. Last year is history, I am talking about this year. I guess standing at the opposite end of the court on offense and watching your team is the new way of hustling.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Neither can Benford, but he keeps screaming on the sidelines and you are cool with him. Well except when he gives the bench a puzzled look 50 times a game...

Perhaps that is part of his personality. He is more verbal and active then Johhny was. He has a passion for the game and can see things form the bench the players do not see. I am sure it is frustrating to see CJ cut left into a triple team an turn over the ball when he has all the space and help he needs to the right. He is frustrated like the players and the fans. We all wan to win. In a year if things keep looking like this maybe people will change their mind and place blame on the other group. As I see it right now the players are not performing to their potential. Some may argue because they are not trying hard and others may contend that the coach is in their heads and making them tentative. All I know is this... We have all the ability in the world and one way or another we need to get our heads straight and start winning.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Watching benford tonight and he reminds me of the elf from bad Santa....always looking around with a confused look on his face. As for Mitchell...he seems to pout every time he doesn't get the ball or foul...lackluster effort on his part...one of the last dozen the court to get back on defense....damn disappointing team.

Franklin is a joy to watch...always gives his all...also Holman...like watching that dude play as well

• Upvote 6

I agree with Andrew. I never saw brilliance from Tony last year. He was rarely the best big man on the court. we lost to ULL twice with Johnny. Benford is the coach this year and more. The "fire the coach" BS after a few games is bush league. I haven't been a member of this site long, but it makes me sick every time I come here. I have been going to NT games since 1961, attend ever game I can, listen on the radio tp away games. Been to Hot Spings the last 3 years, going this year. I watch 20 plus games every week. All of which i plan on continuing. And don't bother telling me I don't know basketball. I won't be back to read it. What if a potential recruit read this site. Most of you are a disgrace to NT

We won't be in the tourney. People like you with your mentality are part of the problem we have with athletics at UNT.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 4