Jamie Olawale signed by Raiders

NT03

You know, if Olawale does well as a Raider, a lot of us are going to be asking one question: wtf weren't our coaches seeing that the professionals did? I really think he could be good in short yardage situations, maybe be useful in scoring within the red zone. I guess no team I follow has needed those attributes, though.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 2

You know, if Olawale does well as a Raider, a lot of us are going to be asking one question: wtf weren't our coaches seeing that the professionals did? I really think he could be good in short yardage situations, maybe be useful in scoring within the red zone. I guess no team I follow has needed those attributes, though.

Makes you kind of question our coaches ability to judge talent. I guess he didn't practice well.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

Yep...once in a life time happening...this situation has NEVER ever played itself out before in any sport. Only at UNT, right? And, it's UNT coaches who seem to be the only ones....really? How heavily recruited was he? I guess he turned down offers from OU, Alabama, LSU, Wisconsin, OSU, Florida, Stanford, etc. etc. to come play for UNT. Because, if not, seems a lot of coaches might have "missed" on this kid or maybe there is something more to the story. Don't know, but love it how the Mean Green faithful ALWAYS seem to assume there is some problem at UNT with coaching, administration, and on and on. You realize, of course, how coaches just love to sit NFL talent on their benches...happens all the time. These guys just have no clue.....

Could there just be more to the story here regarding his playing time at UNT? And, why not just be happy for the kid and for the fact that UNT will be mentioned rather then try to make something negative out of a very positive thing for both parties? Seriously.....

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

It's not really what he was coming out of high school, it's really more about what he had turned into by his Junior and Senior years. I see nothing wrong with questioning our coaches judgement when the guy has been chased around by NFL teams ever since the end of his Senior season. If I remember correctly, it was his tryout numbers shortly after last season that initially attracted the attention of NFL scouts, and you have to wonder why one of the worst teams in FBS football apparently didn't take notice of his size, speed, strength, and overall skills while he was still on campus. Hope it works for him.

• Upvote 2

It's not really what he was coming out of high school, it's really more about what he had turned into by his Junior and Senior years. I see nothing wrong with questioning our coaches judgement when the guy has been chased around by NFL teams ever since the end of his Senior season. If I remember correctly, it was his tryout numbers shortly after last season that initially attracted the attention of NFL scouts, and you have to wonder why one of the worst teams in FBS football apparently didn't take notice of his size, speed, strength, and overall skills while he was still on campus. Hope it works for him.

because maybe...just maybe in their opinions...they had guys in front of him they liked better for whatever reason. Maybe the guy really "showed up" for the pro days, but was less than that during practices with the team. Who the heck knows...water under the bridge. I am just happy for the kid...seems like a good kid...and happy for UNT that he is getting this opportunity. And really hope he sticks and does great things in the NFL.

But, it's not at all about what he was coming out of high school (and I do agree with this point 100%) then why are so many of our "fans" here and on the other board complaining loudly that Mac and Company are not signing 4 and 5 star HS recruits? Just check out some unknown other board and the comments about a couple of recent signers as a case in point. One might recall that Bob Hayes was not a football, but a track guy as well when the Cowboys signed him. He turned out OK, yes? This talent evaluation this is tough and no coach ever gets it 100% correct. NONE...even Troy Aikman transferred from OU, right? Seems he turned out OK for the NFL as well. Sure transferred for a different reason, but OU recruited and signed him and he transferred...a miss for OU's staff. Happens in the business world as well...ask any HR director at any firm you want.

So, again...too bad, but water under the bridge. I'll be super happy if he plays for years in the NFL and makes lots of pro bowls. Good for the kid, good for UNT.

• Downvote 1

Well, for one, we didn't get Olawale out of high school. We got him out of junior college, and I believe were his only offer. North Texas DID take notice of his size and speed and strength, but Dodge doesn't use Tight Ends/H-backs, so moved him to WR (of course). And if you'll recall, we had some guy named Lance Dunbar at running back.

I don't really know what the expectations were for one year with a position move and another year with a new coach. Everybody misses on guys or has guys that never find a position. Happens in college. Happens in the pros. I'm just happy for Jamize.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

because maybe...just maybe in their opinions...they had guys in front of him they liked better for whatever reason. Maybe the guy really "showed up" for the pro days, but was less than that during practices with the team. Who the heck knows...water under the bridge. I am just happy for the kid...seems like a good kid...and happy for UNT that he is getting this opportunity. And really hope he sticks and does great things in the NFL.

But, it's not at all about what he was coming out of high school (and I do agree with this point 100%) then why are so many of our "fans" here and on the other board complaining loudly that Mac and Company are not signing 4 and 5 star HS recruits? Just check out some unknown other board and the comments about a couple of recent signers as a case in point. One might recall that Bob Hayes was not a football, but a track guy as well when the Cowboys signed him. He turned out OK, yes? This talent evaluation this is tough and no coach ever gets it 100% correct. NONE...even Troy Aikman transferred from OU, right? Seems he turned out OK for the NFL as well. Sure transferred for a different reason, but OU recruited and signed him and he transferred...a miss for OU's staff. Happens in the business world as well...ask any HR director at any firm you want.

So, again...too bad, but water under the bridge. I'll be super happy if he plays for years in the NFL and makes lots of pro bowls. Good for the kid, good for UNT.

Hey guys, but you were not there. "Maybe" he practiced without cleats..."Maybe" he just runs routs better wearing NFL gear, maybe!!!!!

Fact is with Anyiam they got it right by moving him to the O-line, but with Olawale, they failed. The kid refused to let anyone piss his talents away! Pulling for U Jamaze...Goodluck!

Edited by slugg

Hey guys, but you were not there. "Maybe" he practiced without cleats..."Maybe" he just runs routs better wearing NFL gear, maybe!!!!!

Fact is with Anyiam they got it right by moving him to the O-line, but with Olawale, they failed. The kid refused to let anyone piss his talents away! Pulling for U Jamaze...Goodluck!

Well thanks for this first-hand insight, Mr. Olawale. Tell your son hello for the Mean green nation the next time you see him! :goodjob:

Edited by KRAM1
  • Downvote 2

Olawale is the only one that pissed anything away during his time at North Texas. Two completely different coaching staffs saw the same thing and evaluated him. I'm very excited that it appears he has figured it out now and is utlizing the potential that everyone saw and loved but previously was only potential.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

Olawale is the only one that pissed anything away during his time at North Texas. Two completely different coaching staffs saw the same thing and evaluated him. I'm very excited that it appears he has figured it out now and is utlizing the potential that everyone saw and loved but previously was only potential.

Haters gonna hate

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Yep...once in a life time happening...this situation has NEVER ever played itself out before in any sport. Only at UNT, right? And, it's UNT coaches who seem to be the only ones

....really? How heavily recruited was he? I guess he turned down offers from OU, Alabama, LSU, Wisconsin, OSU, Florida, Stanford, etc. etc. to come play for UNT. Because, if not, seems a lot of coaches might have "missed" on this kid or maybe there is something more to the story. Don't know, but love it how the Mean Green faithful ALWAYS seem to assume there is some problem at UNT with coaching, administration, and on and on. You realize, of course, how coaches just love to sit NFL talent on their benches...happens all the time. These guys just have no clue.....

Could there just be more to the story here regarding his playing time at UNT? And, why not just be happy for the kid and for the fact that UNT will be mentioned rather then try to make something negative out of a very positive thing for both parties? Seriously.....

I assume you were there at every practice and know him not to be worthy of NT playing time. You are making an assumption based on your undying faith in the NT coaching staff's ability. I am making assumptions based on what he is doing since leaving NT. The facts are that the first coaching staff recruited Olawale as a wide receiver and used him sparingly, McCarney as far as I can remember did not use him at all.

As far as he not being heavily recruited, you really want to use that in your argument, when the truth is that neither was 80% of the team. There may have been injury issues or eligibility problems with Olawale that limited his play at NT, although you would think that would have been mentioned. The only reason I commented other than of course to use it for an opportunity to bad mouth the NT athletic department, was McCarney constant reference to how few athletes he found on the squad when he arrived. It seems ironic to me, that Olawale was apparently available and he certainly fits the description of an athlete.

I am happy for Olawale and hope he sicks with some pro team. With the Cowboys I saw a player with a lot of drive and a fairly high talent level. I think most would assume that those traits have always been there, therefore it is highly possible that NT misjudged his value.

Generally no one who post on this board knows the full story about anything. It is mostly opinion and speculation hopefully with some logic applied. It is also at least on my part, fun or at least interesting to take part. It is much more serious business for those actually involved such as administration, coaches and players. All should be fully aware what they are subject to when they chose to participate as an employee or as as a player. Criticism is very mild at NT compared to most programs so I get amused with those that think that anything negative stated is really going to have any significant effect on anything.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I assume you were there at every practice and know him not to be worthy of NT playing time. You are making an assumption based on your undying faith in NT coaching staff ability. I am making assumptions based on what he is doing since leaving NT. The facts are that the first coaching staff recruited Olawale as a wide receiver and used him sparingly, McCarney as far as I can remember did not use him at all.

As far as he not being heavily recruited, you really want to use that in your argument, when the truth is that neither was 80% of the team. There may have been injury issues or eligibility problems with Olawale that limited his play at NT, although you would think they would have been mentioned. The only reason I commented other than of course to use it for an opportunity to bad mouth the NT athletic department, was McCarney constant reference to how few athletes he found on the squad when he arrived. It seems ironic to me, that Olawale was apparently available and he certainly fits the description of an athlete.

I am happy for Olawale and hope he sicks with some pro team. With the Cowboys I saw a player with a lot of drive and a fairly high talent level. I think most would assume that those traits have always been there, therefore it is highly possible that NT misjudged his value.

Generally no one who post on this board knows the full story about anything. It is mostly opinion and speculation hopefully with some logic applied. It is also at least on my part, fun or at least interesting to take part. It is much more serious business for those actually involved such as administration, coaches and players. All should be fully aware what they are subject to when they chose to participate as an employee or has as a player. Criticism is very mild at NT compared to most programs so I get amused with those that think that anything negative stated is really going to have any significant effect on anything.

Did not imply I was there...we're you? I indicated that there might be more to the story than what you or I know. Then, after questioning me, you go on to post pretty much the exact same thing I posted...that folks do not know the full story...interesting. Glad you know what goes on in so many other programs...even "most" other programs as you say about your knowledge. That is a pretty good number of programs you are that close to....how do you find the time to be that informed?

Did not imply I was there...we're you? I indicated that there might be more to the story than what you or I know. Then, after questioning me, you go on to post pretty much the exact same thing I posted...that folks do not know the full story...interesting. Glad you know what goes on in so many other programs...even "most" other programs as you say about your knowledge. That is a pretty good number of programs you are that close to....how do you find the time to be that informed?

Now I am confused. Where did I state anything about knowing what is going on in many other programs? What in the hell are you referring to, because it is not in my post.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Now I am confused. Where did I state anything about knowing what is going on in many other programs? What in the hell are you referring to, because it is not in my post.

Second to last line in your originakl post sates...and I quote..." Criticism is very mild at NT compared to most programs so I get amused with those folks who think anything negative stated is really goint to have significant impact on anything".

Note the words "most programs" in your comment. Hope that helps clear up your confusion because the quote comes from your post. Or, do you have a ghoast writer? :thumbsu: