It took him 4 years at ISU...

meangreener

To go 9-3. For a while, he was a 7-5 coach. I'm pissed, but you people are clearly jumping ship far too early. I think another season is the last chance. His overall record is irrelevant. And with recruiting, you're delusional if you think he'd come in here getting 4 star recruits with our reputation. I thought we'd be 4-8 last year and thought 6-6 this year. Pretty close. I think we are a 8-4 team next year. I see good redshirts, recruits and transfers. We're on the brink of something, and I see potential. Took Fry two years.

Just step back and breathe before you do something stupid and rash. The way people are demanding immediate success just isn't realistic.

And he did fail at bringing a QB. But his only other option is Osborn, who, if his Twitter is any sign, very entitled and arrogant. He brought Berglund, though. One of our highest profile QBs...in a long time.

Recruiting, he brought Jim Jim...he wasn't highly rated...2-stars...he looks electric. Whitfield has shown enormous potential...no stars. Mac is going for a system player. Not superstars.

Edited by meangreener
  • Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

So it will take him 8 years with half the athletic budget, half the facilities, half the conference, half the recruiting ability, etc?

Not against CUSA. He had the smallest budget and fewest resources in the Big XII. We are not the biggest in CUSA but we aren't the smallest either.

I still believe Mac's overall plan is correct. That does NOT mean every game is going to be perfect not that improvement will be a straight line.

• Upvote 2

To go 9-3. For a while, he was a 7-5 coach. I'm pissed, but you people are clearly jumping ship far too early. I think another season is the last chance. His overall record is irrelevant. And with recruiting, you're delusional if you think he'd come in here getting 4 star recruits with our reputation. I thought we'd be 4-8 last year and thought 6-6 this year. Pretty close. I think we are a 8-4 team next year. I see good redshirts, recruits and transfers. We're on the brink of something, and I see potential. Took Fry two years.

Just step back and breathe before you do something stupid and rash. The way people are demanding immediate success just isn't realistic.

And he did fail at bringing a QB. But his only other option is Osborn, who, if his Twitter is any sign, very entitled and arrogant. He brought Berglund, though. One of our highest profile QBs...in a long time.

Recruiting, he brought Jim Jim...he wasn't highly rated...2-stars...he looks electric. Whitfield has shown enormous potential...no stars. Mac is going for a system player. Not superstars.

8-4 next year?

I want you to take this for what it is...an honest attempt to help. I've worked around drug addled people a lot in my career. So I know it's hard to admit when you have a dependency. But, please, face that demon and begin on the road to recovery.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

8-4 next year?

I want you to take this for what it is...an honest attempt to help. I've worked around drug addled people a lot in my career. So I know it's hard to admit when you have a dependency. But, please, face that demon and begin on the road to recovery.

Favorable schedule, weaker schedule, better team. You don't know what you're talking about.

• Upvote 2

Going into to an Offensive Shell in the 4th Quarter with a lead - did not work in the Big 12 - Did not Work in the Sun Belt and will not work in the C-USA

- Our Coaches must face that fact and make changes.

DKR - said you dance with who brought you to the dance and you dance with her until the dance is over

- I think he was the greatest Div. 1 coach ever in Texas - Will our Coach listen to one of the Texas Greats????

We are paying him over $500,000.00 per year and he comes up with this going into a Shell Offense with a 4th Quarter lead - Cost us Victory against Troy & WKU - is that all we get for $500,000.00 per year - the players and fans deserve better than that for that kind of money!!! We could have been 6-6 this year.

• Upvote 3

Sun Belt is not the Big 12 circa 1995 with four Top Ten schools.

The only reason I cut Mac any slack at this point is he is following a high school coaching hire that decimated a program already in decline, talent-wise and depth-wise.

C-USA will be more difficlt. But, I don't expect any excuses. Mac has coached again Tom Osborn, Bob Stoops, Mack Brown, Bill Snyder, and many other great coach at big programs as an assistant.

He's been in big venues. He's been in big games. He has seen the best on the field and has coached against the best. The Sun Belt and C-USA shouldn't be vexing or intimidating to him.

The recruiting must pickup. That is his responsibility. Next year, a majority of the recruits will be his. If we are still thin at DT and WR next year, it will be nobdy's fault but his.

Traditional crappy program Kent State finished their season today with an 11-1 record. Their new head coach also in his second season. And, the MAC much more competitive this season than the Sun Belt.

This can't go on forever. Or...maybe it can. We don't have a big enough fan base to notice anyway. This was a fan base that seriously thought a high school coach was a good hire.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Sun Belt is not the Big 12 circa 1995 with four Top Ten schools.

The only reason I cut Mac any slack at this point is he is following a high school coaching hire that decimated a program already in decline, talent-wise and depth-wise.

C-USA will be more difficlt. But, I don't expect any excuses. Mac has coached again Tom Osborn, Bob Stoops, Mack Brown, Bill Snyder, and many other great coach at big programs as an assistant.

He's been in big venues. He's been in big games. He has seen the best on the field and has coached against the best. The Sun Belt and C-USA shouldn't be vexing or intimidating to him.

The recruiting must pickup. That is his responsibility. Next year, a majority of the recruits will be his. If we are still thin at DT and WR next year, it will be nobdy's fault but his.

Traditional crappy program Kent State finished their season today with an 11-1 record. Their new head coach also in his second season. And, the MAC much more competitive this season than the Sun Belt.

This can't go on forever. Or...maybe it can. We don't have a big enough fan base to notice anyway. This was a fan base that seriously thought a high school coach was a good hire.

I fear whatever new fan base Mac may have been able to grab, I.e new students, may have vanished into thin air just as our lead did in the fourth today. I mean look what happened at our last home game.

I don't care who the coach is, as long as we stop sucking and start acting like a real football program. Get in and make the right decisions or get out and develop our school as a Basketball school. I don't have answers. I don't think a lot of the realistic people I know here, believe they truly have the answers. But we all want the same thing, (I think.) And that is to have a winning program where we feel like we at getting our money's worth and one we can be proud of. Lets have some accountability from top to bottom and quit making excuses and make it happen. Quit calling out people for questioning our leaders, we should question everything. I want to be clear I am not directing this at TFLF, but to us all in general. GMG.

Edited by filmerj
  • Upvote 3

What does it mean to demand more as a fan?

Box seats? season tickets? Mean Green club?

Those things are the basics of supporting a program. The people who moan about how long it's been since we were a bowl team, seem to forget about the 40+ year bowl drought before 2001 New Orleans Bowl.

A Perennial bowl contender, with a massive endowment, statewide following, and traditional rivalries. This season sucked because it reminded us of who we are, a directional state school that is in year two of a complete rebuilding process from coach to team to facilities to sports culture.

• Upvote 5

Not only did it take this guy FOUR years at Iowa State one must remember this guy could not SUSTAIN the success. He had to have been shocked when RV and Rawlins offered him the job based on this fact and also the fact he had a losing record to boot. It immediately put this guy in the dominate role with RV and Rawlings in the subservient position. This guy knew if they were foolish enough to hire him then they were also foolish enough to buy into anything he told them.

Edited by meangreenbob
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Not only did it take this guy FOUR years at Iowa State one must remember this guy could not SUSTAIN the success. He had to have been shocked when RV and Rawlins offered him the job based on this fact and also the fact he had a losing record to boot. It immediately put this guy in the dominate role with RV and Rawlings in the subservient position. This guy knew if they were foolish enough to hire him then they were also foolish enough to buy into anything he told them.

After 9-3, I see a bunch of 7-5 seasons mixed with two rebuilding years. Losing career records are irrelevant. I'd kill for a few 9-3, 8-4 and 7-5 years with a 2-2 bowl record.

Wade Phillips has a great record. Not a great coach. ISU was foolish to let him go, as look at them since. Look at what he did there and look at what others did there.

Edited by meangreener