THECB Vote on NT Union Fee (Maybe not good)

Mean Green Matt

Do we have any NT staff members on here? I have heard that the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board might have voted down the union fee despite it being approved by a majority of students. It might have been sent out in an email to staff. I'm hoping this is not true, but this is the first place I thought to come to to find out if any staffers had heard this.

If this is true, its time we all get together and protest this and tell Austin to quit voting to hold us back. They did the same thing with our athletic fee that they only let be applied to the stadium and then automatically terminate.

Has anybody else heard anything about this.

P.S. I know this may get moved, but this is an extremely important issue for the University.

• Upvote 4

Do we have any NT staff members on here? I have heard that the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board might have voted down the union fee despite it being approved by a majority of students. It might have been sent out in an email to staff. I'm hoping this is not true, but this is the first place I thought to come to to find out if any staffers had heard this.

If this is true, its time we all get together and protest this and tell Austin to quit voting to hold us back. They did the same thing with our athletic fee that they only let be applied to the stadium and then automatically terminate.

Has anybody else heard anything about this.

P.S. I know this may get moved, but this is an extremely important issue for the University.

This is indeed concerning

I DONT UNDERSTAND.....THEY LET ALL THE OTHER SCHOOL SPEND MONEY, YET WHEN WE WANT TO...ITS LIKE NOPE....SCREW UNT. makes me sick.

Get ready for the fight bro. I think the NT administration is going to fight this as well. We need students, alumni, and everyone else to send emails, phone calls, anything to get this overturned. It is completely reversing one of the most significant votes in NT history, second only to the football stadium (a decision austin screwed with as well).

• Upvote 2

Get ready for the fight bro. I think the NT administration is going to fight this as well. We need students, alumni, and everyone else to send emails, phone calls, anything to get this overturned. It is completely reversing one of the most significant votes in NT history, second only to the football stadium (a decision austin screwed with as well).

as long as i know who to contact....you bet my ass ill do everything in my power. this is some BS. really pisses me off.

• Upvote 2

Actually, the Rec Center was a problem as well. Students approved it, then it was held up in committee (calendar committee, I believe) due to some political games, which is why we had to re-vote 2 years later. If anyone knows the specifics on how it was shot down, I can tell you the proper venues through which to channel your objections. I have some friends working for politicians in Austin too, so I'll see if they have any relevant info.

• Upvote 1

This is what was sent.

Dear UNT community,

One of the steps in getting approval for a capital project is to get approval from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. On Thursday that board voted to reject our current plans for renovation and additions to the University Union Building. Although we had followed the procedures, the board members had concerns about the scope and cost of the project. We were disappointed with that decision but the board repeatedly told us that they understood that we needed a new building and that it was a good project. This is a student planned and student funded project and we believe we will be able to meet the concerns of the board and move forward. We are in full support of this student led initiative and will keep the campus community fully informed of our progress.

Thank you for making UNT a great university.

Sincerely,

V. Lane Rawlins

• Upvote 4

Does anyone have other (non-UNT) perspective on these political decisions?

For example, does TTech have the same dificulties getting fees approved at the state level?

I'm kinda tired of submitting requests to the NCAA or state senate and getting the shaft. Aren't you?!?

Man, I feel like it's us against the world right now. This Absolute&Coke is probably not helping, nor are 4+ years of DD bunker-ism.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

Okay, that being the case, yes UNT can appeal or can just re-submit something amended depending upon what "specific concerns," if any, were highlighted by the Board during its decision. The big upside here is that since the decision wasn't legislative in nature, there isn't the long-term delay inherent in waiting for the next legislative session.

• Upvote 1

This is what was sent.

Dear UNT community,

One of the steps in getting approval for a capital project is to get approval from the Texas Higher Education Coordinating Board. On Thursday that board voted to reject our current plans for renovation and additions to the University Union Building. Although we had followed the procedures, the board members had concerns about the scope and cost of the project. We were disappointed with that decision but the board repeatedly told us that they understood that we needed a new building and that it was a good project. This is a student planned and student funded project and we believe we will be able to meet the concerns of the board and move forward. We are in full support of this student led initiative and will keep the campus community fully informed of our progress.

Thank you for making UNT a great university.

Sincerely,

V. Lane Rawlins

Thanks for posting that. I was hoping there was a staff member on here that could post the actual email. I really hope NT fights this and tries to get it overturned rather than scaling down the project. What they are planning on building is what we need. It is not over the top. Its about time that Austin quits voting to hold us back even when our own students voted for it.

• Upvote 2

Interesting...we got approved for our Union building/student center with little to no difficulty and is being built on our campus right now. It should be finished by early 2014. Maybe this is a UNT thing with Austin...

Even though this pee wad has been a pest in the recent past, why give him negatives here? The question of what other schools have gone through and he answered it. Sure, his dipstick doesn't make contact with the oil, but y'all asked.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Even though this pee wad has been a pest in the recent past, why give him negatives here? The question of what other schools have gone through and he answered it. Sure, his dipstick doesn't make contact with the oil, but y'all asked.

Okay what are the chances that this kid knows the insider scoop to whether or not UH had an issue getting theirs approved? He wasn't even at UH when they had to go through this process.

I could make a post about me feeding the poor and washing the feet of the homeless and I'd still get negs. Oh well, they're just red square on a computer screen anyway.

Okay what are the chances that this kid knows the insider scoop to whether or not UH had an issue getting theirs approved? He wasn't even at UH when they had to go through this process.

I was keeping up with UH before I even started going there.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Everyone has the same problems. When I lived in El Paso the local news reported everything involving UTEP because they are the only show in town. They had problems with getting a parking garage built (which the governor even spoke about at a graduation I attended), horrible congestion getting in and out of campus which required road work (its a commuter school and not huge but it was awful for everyone), and just look at the problems Austin just gave them about the boxing match at the Sun Bowl (which Austin finally agreed to after being pains in the asses).

Any time you get bureaucrats involved they are going to screw with plans so they can justify their existence. Even at Houston Cougar King.

It's laughable considering the university approved it, the students voted to fund it, and a panel of politicians will hold it up because they can. It will get passed but they will slap their seal of final approval on it and claim it as one of their mighty achievements. Since they recognize it is needed, they wrote a letter stating it is needed, now they will sit on the idea, somebody is going to have to go kiss the ring / asses, then they will give their blessing, be given a silver shovel to attend the photo op, get their name in a paper somewhere, and place this achievement in their resume for their next job, and place the picture on their "Me" wall in their office. This was an abbreviation of events to come. I have seen this nonsense plenty of times.

I really hate bureaucrats and politicians.

Someone post their email addresses, phone numbers, contact info here and if possible another publication and let them have it.

Did I mention I hate bureaucrats and politicians? I hope I don't get sick in the future because the same jackass on this panel will probably be in charge of my health care some day.

Rant concluded.

• Upvote 4

Whoever's job it is to get things done in Austin just isn't getting the job.

Exactly what do we pay Lee Jackson to do? No, really?

This. Lee F. Jackson was hired and is paid supposedly because he was/is well connected in Austin. Please tell me what this man does to earn his paycheck? Anyone? He has done nothing to earn his bloated pay from our institution. Typical of top heavy government institutions.

• Upvote 2

Wait...What? I must have missed something. When did this happen? WTF....

Keith