Thought on the QB Position

UNTLifer

Mac had mentioned that DT looks great in practice, but it doesn't appear to translate to the playing field. It would appear that Osborn doesn't look as good in practice, but played well when he had a couple of opportunities last year. Could it be that DT is a practice player and Osborn is a gamer? Just a thought.

FUll disclosure: DT is my adopted player and I would really love to see him perform consistently.

I think they love him because he doesn't turn the ball over. May not matter in a game against a very talented Houston team that remarkably doesn't spill the pill once against us when they are +6 for the season. It could matter tremendously in Sun Belt play. Mac is obsessed with winning the turnover battle and for good reason you usually win. DT plays nicely into that strategy.

Mac had mentioned that DT looks great in practice, but it doesn't appear to translate to the playing field. It would appear that Osborn doesn't look as good in practice, but played well when he had a couple of opportunities last year. Could it be that DT is a practice player and Osborn is a gamer? Just a thought.

FUll disclosure: DT is my adopted player and I would really love to see him perform consistently.

A gamer. This word is a very real thing in sports and many people don't acknowledge it. Maybe DT looks better in practice but he has not proven himself to be a gamer. Osborn did well in the Tulsa game last year when he went in, albeit against the second team defense. Six out of seven for 69 yards, two touchdowns and no interceptions.

Osborn may very well be a gamer but we will never know unless he goes in. Alternatively, Osborn could be worse and turn the ball over which, like Harry said, DT doesn't do much of.

I believe coaches generally go with the QB they feel gives them the best chance to win. Putting in players "just to see what they can do" isn't something that any professional coach would do.

I have said for several years that I'm not sure we have an appropriate FBS caliber QB on our roster, and I will maintain that stance, based upon the fact that the coaching staff believe that DT is the best we have. Also, I don't remember a whole lot of concerns about Thompson's abilities until this year. I think it really comes down to a case of everyone loving a backup.

No doubt, he hasn't been good this year, but I think the reluctance of the coaching staff to go with anyone else is more of an indictment of the other QBs on the roster than some kind of unwavering support of Thompson. I will never look at some QB's garbage time stats and think that's a good reason to believe he's a "gamer." We don't need someone who can dink and dunk once we're down half a hundred and the other team puts in their backups and has them in a prevent. We need someone who can come out hot, extend drives, make plays, and maintain that for 4 quarters. Sadly, if we don't have that on our roster, it's because we haven't recruited it. Our only hope at this time is that Thompson dramatically improves or Berglund is secretly that kind of player.

Osborn was also our only QB to move the ball successfully against Alabama. And he only had one (partial) series to try.

He was 2-6 passing for 21 yards. And he had 3 series. 3-and-out, 3-and-out, then they fumbled us the ball on their own 43 yard line. He did complete 2 3rd down passes on that last drive. We were down 41-0 at the time.

He was 2-6 passing for 21 yards. And he had 3 series. 3-and-out, 3-and-out, then they fumbled us the ball on their own 43 yard line. He did complete 2 3rd down passes on that last drive. We were down 41-0 at the time.

Thanks for the correction. I didn't remember him being used at all on previous drives. But I was thinking of this drive:

[EDIT: never mind, I tried to include the play by play for Osborn's drive (starting at 9:17 of the 4th quarter), but the formatting went nuts]

Yeah, it was pretty much garbage time at that point, but he was able to drive the ball to the Bama 2 yard line. And then they throw McNulty in there, and everything stalls.

At the least, I think Osborn has shown enough during games that he needs to be given opportunities to play when DT isn't getting it done.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98
  • Upvote 1

At the least, I think Osborn has shown enough during games that he needs to be given opportunities to play when DT isn't getting it done.

If he can't win the competition in practice, he's not going to win it when it matters. For all the grousing about Osborn, you'd think he'd be able to show the coaches something by now. This isn't pro sports, and Osborn isn't an elite talent. That's about the only situation you can be in where you don't have to win it in practice, despite all this talk about a 2* backup QB being a gamer based on limited garbage time stats.

Yep, us, Tennessee-Martin, and Murray State.

Uh, you do know that schools don't give out stars(?)

And are you really going to go by recruiting rankings and number of offers to make a case for Thompson over Osborn?

By the way, I'm not calling for Thompson to be yanked. But in two demoralizing games, Alabama and Tulsa, when an entire fanbase was screaming, "Somebody show us something," Osborn was the one who did, garbage time or no garbage time. Personally, I'd like to see him given the opportunity if Thompson isn't getting it done. Coach Mac was awfully quick to give someone else a chance when Olen wasn't getting it done.

• Upvote 1

Uh, you do know that schools don't give out stars(?)

And are you really going to go by recruiting rankings and number of offers to make a case for Thompson over Osborn?

By the way, I'm not calling for Thompson to be yanked. But in two demoralizing games, Alabama and Tulsa, when an entire fanbase was screaming, "Somebody show us something," Osborn was the one who did, garbage time or no garbage time. Personally, I'd like to see him given the opportunity if Thompson isn't getting it done. Coach Mac was awfully quick to give someone else a chance when Olen wasn't getting it done.

I'm telling you that what you're whining about is another player of marginal talent level who can't win the job in practice. I don't hear anyone clamoring for Cooper Jones (who was ranked every bit as high as Osborn... higher when you consider he was coming out of high school), but the team moved him to TE.

Osborn is not the second coming because of a few meaningless garbage time possessions.

Thompson was better in the Alabama game. He had a higher completion percentage, higher ypa, and a longer drive... all against first teamers. So I'm tired of hearing that Osborn's 2-6 against backups in garbage time in a blowout is somehow indicative that he's a "gamer."

And finally, kickers aren't QBs.

• Upvote 1

I think they love him because he doesn't turn the ball over. May not matter in a game against a very talented Houston team that remarkably doesn't spill the pill once against us when they are +6 for the season. It could matter tremendously in Sun Belt play. Mac is obsessed with winning the turnover battle and for good reason you usually win. DT plays nicely into that strategy.

I think this is the key... I think there is something about Osborn that makes Mac nervous, and it probably is turnover-related. It's almost impossible for us to really evaluate because we just don't see those guys practice day after day. I do remember in Osborn's limited FIU game time last year that, while the team moved the ball, he looked a little Romo-esque at times and had a couple of near-interception throws in that game's final drive (we did score - so it turned out well).

I wish Osborn would make a better impression on Mac because the guy is very athletic and seems to be a "gamer" - maybe just too much for Mac's liking.

• Upvote 1

I'm telling you that what you're whining about is another player of marginal talent level who can't win the job in practice. I don't hear anyone clamoring for Cooper Jones (who was ranked every bit as high as Osborn... higher when you consider he was coming out of high school), but the team moved him to TE.

Osborn is not the second coming because of a few meaningless garbage time possessions.

Thompson was better in the Alabama game. He had a higher completion percentage, higher ypa, and a longer drive... all against first teamers. So I'm tired of hearing that Osborn's 2-6 against backups in garbage time in a blowout is somehow indicative that he's a "gamer."

And finally, kickers aren't QBs.

Yep. Osbourne can't win the job in practice. Tells me all I need to know.

That and he couldn't beat out a true freshman (with a weak arm) for the back up spot last year.

There is a reason they call it garbage time, ya know.

• Upvote 1

During the off season and preseason, all we heard from Mac was how much better DT was and how much he had improved from last year. We heard this over and over. Then the season starts. I believe that most coaches are very stubborn when it comes time to admit things didn't turn out like they thought they would. DT knows he can under perform and the job is still his. It makes me think that they would have to carry DT off the field on a stretcher before the other QBs will get a chance. How do you know how someone will perform in a game until you give them a chance? Its time to quit making excuses for DT. He is playing behind a very good OL. He has good receivers and good TEs. NO EXCUSES!

Edited by Big Green
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sometimes coaches will put players in to shake things up.

I think it was Buick's last year when the offense was horrendous and he decided to put the entire second and third string O-line in in the 4th quarter of a game? They walked onto the field and drove down for a score.

Anyone remember that? I remember he called the starters green or white team, and the others visa versa. Someone with better memory might be able to elaborate.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

Yep. Osbourne can't win the job in practice. Tells me all I need to know.

That and he couldn't beat out a true freshman (with a weak arm) for the back up spot last year.

There is a reason they call it garbage time, ya know.

Actually, he did beat out McNulty for the backup spot last year. At least, that was what everyone was told at the end of fall camp.

Then, for some reason no one could figure out, McNulty got the start when DT couldn't go against Tulsa.

As far as calling it "garbage time," it's very interesting that things got soooo easy against the Tulsa defense the very minute that Osborn went in, when they had been picking McNulty (and twice pick-6ing him) all night long.

• Upvote 1

Sometimes coaches will put players in to shake things up.

I think it was Buick's last year when the offense was horrendous and he decided to put the entire second and third string O-line in in the 4th quarter of a game? They walked onto the field and drove down for a score.

Anyone remember that? I remember he called the starters green or white team, and the others visa versa. Someone with better memory might be able to elaborate.

Yep, sure do. Say what you will about Darrell, but he was one hell of a motivator.

• Upvote 1

During the off season and preseason, all we heard from Mac was how much better DT was and how much he had improved from last year. We heard this over and over. Then the season starts. I believe that most coaches are very stubborn when it comes time to admit things didn't turn out like they thought they would. DT knows he can under perform and the job is still his. It makes me think that they would have to carry DT off the field on a stretcher before the other QBs will get a chance. How do you know how someone will perform in a game until you give them a chance? Its time to quit making excuses for DT. He is playing behind a very good OL. He has good receivers and good TEs. NO EXCUSES!

I agree with everything you are saying. Even though I know DT doesn't want to under perform, there needs to be some other driving factor pushing him to be better besides just wanting to do his best. A little competition would make him improve. And God forbid he gets carried off the field for injury or even gets injured... we have no back up with real game experience to throw in the mix do we? I think Ozzy is a game time guy. The lights go on in his head when the lights go on in the stadium for the game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1