Starting 5

agw0038

Alright guys, every time I see that UNT has signed another player or has a verbal commit i get confused.

Can somebody please tell what are starting 5 will look like?

All I know is that TM and CJ will be on the court.

Anybody have a guess as to what our starting 5 will look like in 2013? 2014?

We all know TM is leavin early, but what if CJ left early after 2013?

This year (even if TJ Taylor is eligible at any point in the season)

PG - Chris Jones

SG - Alzee Williams

SF - Jordan Williams

PF - TM

C - Keith Coleman

PG - Chris Jones or PJ Hardwick (if Jones declares)

SG - Alzee Williams

SF - Jordan Williams

PF - Anthony Norris/Greg Wesley/Tony Nunn in that order of likeliness (I think we go with Norris at least to start the year because of experience and versatility unless someone new arrives which is unlikely but not impossible because it is way too early)

C - Keith Coleman

We have 5 seniors on this team but there is a good chance none of them start. Our starting lineup should remain almost completely intact except for TM who will likely declare. The change from 2012-2013 to 2013-2014 will be our bench minutes, but that is a long way from now.

Edited by BillySee58

Other than Mitchell and Jones, it is a guess who the other starters are. Coleman, A. Williams, Patton, Walton, Franklin, Holmen and J. Williams are all fairly strong candidates to start. If Taylor is eligible you can add him in.

Walton, Franklin, MItchell, Holmen and A Williams were the starters at the end of last year. Jones and J. Williams were starters at the first of the year, with Williams comfortable settling into the sixth man role before both became ineligible. Add Colman who may be the center the team needs and Patton who is a very versatile experienced player and maybe Taylor and competition for minutes is going to be extreme.

I've the utmost faith Taylor will be here no problems...academics have never been an issue, the issue was his signing a LOI with Marquette then being released from that commitment by the school...had he forced his way out after signing an LOI then he may have to sit for a year, but this one should be pretty cut and dry.

That said...

Starting 5 2012-2013

PG. Chris Jones

SG. TJ Taylor

SF. Justin Patton

PF. Tony Mitchell

C. Keith Coleman

Lots of Alzee, Jordan and Holmen...PJ for 10-15...Franklin for spot bits of energy...Niko if the match-up allows it...Walton/Overlander if we're lobbing bricks from 15' and out.

Damn...we're deep

2013-2014 - assuming all verbals make it to campus and Tony leaves.

PG. Chris Jones - he ain't going anywhere

SG. TJ Taylor

SF. Jordan Williams

PF. Anthony Norris - unless we sign a better option at the 4 I think Norris plays here predominantly.

C. Keith Coleman

Lots of Alzee and PJ...Casmino for 10-15 (I'm leaning towards thinking he's going to be a lot better than his international numbers suggest)...Wesley for 10-15...Overlander in some smaller line-ups (think a PJ, Alzee, Overlander backcourt...hide his perimeter defensive liabilities with a smaller, quicker team)...10 minutes of whoever is more college ready between Nunn and Friar.

• Upvote 1

I've the utmost faith Taylor will be here no problems...academics have never been an issue, the issue was his signing a LOI with Marquette then being released from that commitment by the school...had he forced his way out after signing an LOI then he may have to sit for a year, but this one should be pretty cut and dry.

That said...

Starting 5 2012-2013

PG. Chris Jones

SG. TJ Taylor

SF. Justin Patton

PF. Tony Mitchell

C. Keith Coleman

Lots of Alzee, Jordan and Holmen...PJ for 10-15...Franklin for spot bits of energy...Niko if the match-up allows it...Walton/Overlander if we're lobbing bricks from 15' and out.

Damn...we're deep

My one slight disagreement is SF, but this is a matter of personal opinion so to each his own. Patton is a great addition, but Jordan Williams has looked better from watching them play at the rec a few times. J Will could be special this year. I like Patton playing more PF because of his undeniable rebounding ability. This way he can spell TM for a bit or move Tony to the 5 when Coleman goes out.

I like everything else you said man, and I think there is a good chance Taylor starts over Alzee at some point, but an even better chance he finishes the game at the 2 in crunch time for us. I personally like him as a 6th man, scoring combo guard that can come off the bench and light things up a la Jason Terry.

Someone said on here that it is NOT a matter of NCAA eligibility issues due to his LOI, so it makes me wonder what then. Apparently on his twitter he made it seem like he may not be able to play this year. We will be fine without him in conference play but I think he will help the most when we start playing the big boys in March.

Looking at how MTSU steamrolled through the regular season last year I can't help but think we should do the same, if not better. A lot of good players in the conference are gone, including Denver who might have been the best returning team besides us, and we have everyone back plus some huge additions. Our roster has more size, speed, athleticism, depth, and quite frankly talent than last year's MTSU squad so it's just a matter of if we can jell the way they did.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1

If everyone suits up, and is as advertised, I'd take our second 5 against most starting fives in the SBC. I think we will win more than a few games because teams just cant afford to rest starters and will tire out.

Second Lineup we could bring off the bench/I would have as my bench:

PG - PJ Hardwick (highly rated recruit, former Miss. St. commit who also had a Texas A&M offer)

SG - TJ Taylor (former rivals top 100 player in the nation and Junior college All-American coming off the bench for us)

SF - Franklin (Former rivals top 100 player in the nation, started for us last year at the 4. I'd like to see him play more at the 3 because he is 6'5". This guy really wants it this year and as a result has slimmed down to be able to play outside. He will see the court)

PF - Justin Patton (Versatile player, 6'7" with good rebounding ability. Has lead a D-1 team in scoring/rebounding. Could present matchup problems)

C - Jacob Holmen/Niko (I want to see if Holmen could play the 5 in a pinch for us since he is 6'8". Started for us last year and made the All-Tournament team in Hot Springs. He could create matchup problems and is a decent rebounder, would need to hold his ground down low. As for Niko, he can actually be a valuable asset this year. He is 6'9" and I thought he played great defense on Dendy last year in the MTSU game. He's not gonna score 20 a game, or even 5, but he could help on defense if Tony and/or Coleman are in foul trouble.)

Our 5 off the bench last year in Hot Springs:

PG - Norris

SG - Hall

SF - Didn't really have, just used three guards when Holmen was out of the game.

PF - Alonzo Edwards/Niko

C - Kedrick Hogans not 100 percent

No knock on last year's guy, but depth can and will make a difference this year.

• Upvote 2

Anthony Norris is a SF. He might get away with playing PF if we were staying in the Belt , but not in CUSA.

If anything he is more of a 2 than a 4

I'd like to see a tall lineup of Alzee,Jordan,Holmen, TM & Coleman.....match up nightmare ( could probably insert Patton in either the 2 or the 3 )

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 1

Maximize spacing on offense, stretch the defense with speed and size:

PG Hardwick (speed for breaks and defense on opposing pg)

SG Jones (2nd ball handler, improving shooter)

SF Holman (33% from 3 point, and improving through year end)

PF TM (rebounding to start breaks, 44% from 3 pt; blocks allows defense to stretch)

C Coleman - rebounding and keeps TM out of foul trouble.

Jordan and Alzee/TJ 1st two off bench for Holman, Hardwick, and Jones. Franklin for TM. Niko for Coleman.

• Upvote 1

Anyway let's focus on the here and now. Win 30 games and win it all! Jordan Williams is about to take over!

I absolutely agree. He has all the tools, he just has to produce consistently. We need a reliable third option, especially if TJ Taylor is ruled out for part or all of the season. Either way we are loaded.

• Upvote 1

Third option? I feel like we have about seven guys that can score double figures if they need to.

You're right, we sure do but I'm talking about a guy who single-handedly carry the offense for stretches of games, and not just once a year. The good thing about having so many scorers that you referenced is that we shouldn't need to rely on one guy, but it sure is nice to be able to.

Edited by BillySee58
  • Upvote 1