The double edged sword about that Troy game

emmitt01

The one thing I just can't get over is this. If Thompson had been accurate OR Olen had been accurate, we win on Saturday. It wasn't as If our offense didn't move the ball. This is both reassuring and soooo frustrating.

On one hand it makes me think all the doom and gloom people aren't realizing just how far we've come when both the passing game and the kicking game can be broken and we're still in a game until the end. On the other hand it worries me deeply that both can disappear simultaneously.

Hopefully the next two weeks will tell us who we really are.

The one thing I just can't get over is this. If Thompson had been accurate OR Olen had been accurate, we win on Saturday. It wasn't as If our offense didn't move the ball. This is both reassuring and soooo frustrating.

On one hand it makes me think all the doom and gloom people aren't realizing just how far we've come when both the passing game and the kicking game can be broken and we're still in a game until the end. On the other hand it worries me deeply that both can disappear simultaneously.

Hopefully the next two weeks will tell us who we really are.

I agree, but look at it this way: If we can stay in a game where our QB is off, our running game sputtering, and our kicking game just, just...well you get the scenario.

Then with just a little work and maybe a few changes we will be high powered!

The defense showed up and did their job now the offense and special teams need to do the same, results will be a WIN!

We've had red zone issues for several years now

all the better reason to strengthen our kicking game. i know that we have beaten this issue up for the past few weeks but from i have found after researching our 3 kickers is that we have the tools we just have to use them.

Olen is a dang good kick off man but lacks in FG dept over the past 2 years, Frosh year was good?

Paul (Freshman) did not fair well last week and was not a proven FG kicker in HS 4a

Tamez (Freshman) lead the state last year in 5a FG and punting

looks to me like we should use a 1-2 punch and try it out, just might work

Edited by footballwatch

One thing I had noticed sitting at the games was it seemed that Olen had gained a lot of weight. While good for some, I'm just not sure how good that is for a kicker. It seems to me that a drastic change could throw all sorts of things like balance off for a kicker. Looking at his listing on Rivals recruiting page shows him at 5'10" 185 and now is listed on the UNT roster at 5'10" 228. I am certainly no kicking expert, but I have to think that 40 extra pounds could affect distance and accuracy both.

• Upvote 1

One thing I had noticed sitting at the games was it seemed that Olen had gained a lot of weight. While good for some, I'm just not sure how good that is for a kicker. It seems to me that a drastic change could throw all sorts of things like balance off for a kicker. Looking at his listing on Rivals recruiting page shows him at 5'10" 185 and now is listed on the UNT roster at 5'10" 228. I am certainly no kicking expert, but I have to think that 40 extra pounds could affect distance and accuracy both.

i dont know, the saints kicker Janakowski (sp) is about 265lb, so one could argue the point, but then again kickers and punters do need to look good on the sideline drinking their gatorade, right? ;P

I just think the biggest jump that a program makes isn't from bad to mediocre, its going from mediocre to good. The players have to find a way to win these games and not to accept losing. The hardest part to that is the fact that this group of players has only known UNT as a losing program. At some point, you either turn the corner or you go backward. This team has the ability to win out--and they have the same ability to lose out. Two close games in the last two weeks have gone against us because we couldn't make enough plays on all sides of the ball to win in the 4th quarter. Once we make those plays consistently and start winning those close games, we will make that jump to being good. UNtil then...

• Upvote 1

Let's also not forget the solid years that Jason ball gave us in the kicking game prior to Nick B. Year's ago we had Iseed Khoury as well. UNT has had some mighty fine punters and place kickers...here's hoping that Zach Olen regains form, grabs the reins on that kicking spot and follows in the footsteps of some of UNT's great ones.....Can happen.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1