Disaster...

AndersonUNT

The freshman kicker is now 0-1. Chip shot at that.

I checked on this and found out that there are 2 walk on Freshman kickers on the roster.

Zach Paul is out of Wakeland High School made (140 out of 140 PATS) in his HS career and lettered 2 years

Travis Tamez is out of Mesquite John Horn made 16 of 18 FG his senior year and was an All State kicker his junior and senior year.

Sounds to me like they let the wrong kicker kick. SMH

I checked on this and found out that there are 2 walk on Freshman kickers on the roster.

Zach Paul is out of Wakeland High School made (140 out of 140 PATS) in his HS career and lettered 2 years

Travis Tamez is out of Mesquite John Horn made 16 of 18 FG his senior year and was an All State kicker his junior and senior year.

Sounds to me like they let the wrong kicker kick. SMH

Tamez just got here within the past couple of weeks, not 100% sure he is even eligible to play. Stud HS Kickers do not always translate to College Kickers. The transistion from a kicking block/tee to ground makes many HS Kickers become just students. I do not remember hearing about Tamez from any of the kicking services. On a side note, Tamez & Paul tied during the kicking competition on Sunday, both missing 1 FG, while Ohlen went 4 of 4.

Does anyone else find it funny that Olen, who was 2nd team all Sun Belt under Dodge, has been shell-shocked by this coaching staff and their inability to coach FG blocking. If I had every other kick blocked, I would be off as well.

When kicking there are other factors that set up the miss, such as the snap, the hold, the wind, and the rush.

I posted on another thread that maybe Mac should use a 2 kicker system to take some of the pressure of the kicker.

Hey but I am just another Monday morning QB,

"if's and but's produced nuts, we would all be squirrels"! lol

GMG!

He becomes HC and finally has full reigns of the team and then he lets someone else call the plays??? Yea that seems logical. Funny that some of you actually beleive that

If he calls all of the offensive plays then he surely must call the defensive formations as well. What does he need coordinators for?

Have you seen him walk the sidelines? Does he look like he's calling each play? He may decide what percent passing and running he wants; who he wants to get his hands on the ball more; or what defensive players he wants to target but as to the specific plays and formations that's the job of the coordinator. If the coordinator wants to hand some game decisions off to another assistant coach that's usually his prerogative but doesn't negate his responsibility.

• Upvote 1

Listened to the game on the radio. The only word that came to mind was disaster. The radio broadcast kept cuttin out. The offense seemed awful. The refs mics seemed to keep cuttin out. Our players/coaches couldn't count to 11. Man when will this madness of stupid Mean Green football stop??? I feel bad for all the fans that attended that game, what an embarrassment...

Ref mikes a problem for over a year now. Radio show audio problems (haven't listen to a game on radio yet this year) continue for the 1st 3 episodes. Bridge not finished before season.

Maybe we just accept mediocracy around here.

I mean, we are the sane fan base that is more than happy with a 5-7 season followed up with a 5 game home slate with an FCS opponent as the lone OOC home game. Then we get all excited by a 4 TD loss to LSU and a 2 TD loss to KSU, and make excuses for a bad offensive performance against an FCS team while predicting that because of this stellar performance, we will win the rest of our games.

I've done it. I admit it. I'm done doing it.

Get the F'n pedestrian bridge finished before the next home game. Call the freaking governor if you have to. Just F'n GET IT DONE!

Fix the damn field mics, for the love of God. It's been almost 2 FREAKING YEARS!!

Fix the damn radio link!!!

And while I'm at it, order some GD Tony Mitchell jerseys so you can make some freaking money by the time basketball season starts.

People notice when mediocracy is accepted, even players notice.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 4

Well...Oh, the joys of being a special teams player...feast or famine when the fans are concerned and as well the coaching staff at UNT it seems. Zach Olen had a tough day...granted. Zach Olen in no way lost that game....that game was lost as a team...how about that roughing penalty late in game with UNT inside the Troy 30 yard line? How about the missed passes, the missed blocks, the two Troy receivers who got behind...way behind our secondary and on and on????? It's a team sport and teams win and lose...individual players do not.

Zach and the rest of his teammates feel badly about this loss as we all do...but they feel even worse I am most certain. Zach and his teammates will right the ship and have a much better game Saturday against FAU. here's hoping Mac and Co. sends Zach right back out Saturday for the first FG attempt of the game for the Mean green...he'll nail it and go on from there. The kid can kick...been there done that...tough business this being a special teams player......Good luck Zach and good luck to all the Mean Green team....The Mean green nation stands with you, hurts with you for the loss but will cheer with you in victory Saturday. Go get 'em!!!!

EDIT: For those who wonder...NO, I am not related in any way to Zach Olen or any other member of the team or coaching staff or AD staff. :)

Edited by KRAM1

Ref mikes a problem for over a year now. Radio show audio problems (haven't listen to a game on radio yet this year) continue for the 1st 3 episodes. Bridge not finished before season.

Maybe we just accept mediocracy around here.

I mean, we are the sane fan base that is more than happy with a 5-7 season followed up with a 5 game home slate with an FCS opponent as the lone OOC home game. Then we get all excited by a 4 TD loss to LSU and a 2 TD loss to KSU, and make excuses for a bad offensive performance against an FCS team while predicting that because of this stellar performance, we will win the rest of our games.

I've done it. I admit it. I'm done doing it.

Get the F'n pedestrian bridge finished before the next home game. Call the freaking governor if you have to. Just F'n GET IT DONE!

Fix the damn field mics, for the love of God. It's been almost 2 FREAKING YEARS!!

Fix the damn radio link!!!

And while I'm at it, order some GD Tony Mitchell jerseys so you can make some freaking money by the time basketball season starts.

People notice when mediocracy is accepted, even players notice.

Who is this "we" you speak of? Who was "more than happy" with the 5-7 record? Yes some were pleased with progress, but no one was thrilled that I am aware of. I also challenge you to find one poster who was happy with the 5 home game slate. While some understood that it was due to some payback games, everyone was disappointed.

Just because people aren't jumping off of the ledge, it does not mean they are satisfied with mediocrity. I believe all of us are somewhat pissed off regarding the things you listed.

If you are talking about the ath. dept., well nevermind. I don't know their level of satisfaction at this time.

Who is this "we" you speak of? Who was "more than happy" with the 5-7 record? Yes some were pleased with progress, but no one was thrilled that I am aware of. I also challenge you to find one poster who was happy with the 5 home game slate. While some understood that it was due to some payback games, everyone was disappointed.

Just because people aren't jumping off of the ledge, it does not mean they are satisfied with mediocrity. I believe all of us are somewhat pissed off regarding the things you listed.

If you are talking about the ath. dept., well nevermind. I don't know their level of satisfaction at this time.

The "we" is you, me, the fan base, people who order athletic apparel,facilities, past coaches, the athletic department, the BOR members, the university presidents, and the chancellors.

Basically everyone associated with UNT over the past 20 years. The attitude of "well, doing an OK job is acceptable because we are UNT, and our athletics suck, anyway" doesn't seem to have really left any of these groups.

Oh, there is lip service, but do Alums show up for the 1st home game? Nope. Is the pedestrian bridge finished by the home opener as the original plan called for? Nope. Is there ONE Tony Mitchell jersey, T-Shirt, anything in the team store at Apogee? Nope. You know, he is probably the best athlete to come to this university since Mean Joe Greene graced Fouts Field with his presence almost 50 years ago, yet people like Kingwood and Houston can't even get an F'n T-Shirt with his number on it when they come in for a football game. Lord knows they will NEVER find anything like that in Houston.

We have a law school that was stolen from UNT-Denton because we couldn't out-manuever a south Dallas politician. We have a student fee that ends when the stadium is paid off because we couldn't convince the governor that we deserved the fee LIKE EVERYONE FREAKING ELSE.

The list is pretty endless.

It's perfectly fine to half ass it around here, and it's getting tiring.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

The "we" is you, me, the fan base, people who order athletic apparel,facilities, past coaches, the athletic department, the BOR members, the university presidents, and the chancellors.

Basically everyone associated with UNT over the past 20 years. The attitude of "well, doing an OK job is acceptable because we are UNT, and our athletics suck, anyway" doesn't seem to have really left any of these groups.

Oh, there is lip service, but do Alums show up for the 1st home game? Nope. Is the pedestrian bridge finished by the home opener as the original plan called for? Nope. Is there ONE Tony Mitchell jersey, T-Shirt, anything in the team store at Apogee? Nope. You know, he is probably the best athlete to come to this university since Mean Joe Greene graced Fouts Field with his presence almost 50 years ago, yet people like Kingwood and Houston can't even get an F'n T-Shirt with his number on it when they come in for a football game. Lord knows they will NEVER find anything like that in Houston.

We have a law school that was stolen from UNT-Denton because we couldn't out-manuever a south Dallas politician. We have a student fee that ends when the stadium is paid off because we couldn't convince the governor that we deserved the fee LIKE EVERYONE FREAKING ELSE.

Can't speak for anyone else, but I ask that you don't include me in your scenario as I am not satisfied. And this alum did show up at the first home game all the way from Houston.

Edited by cwb
  • Upvote 1

I hope we have (or get) some people with the cojones to recognize and act upon the idea that those things can be changed.

• Upvote 1

We lost a game that we should have won. It happens. Get over it.Am I happy with only 5 home games this year. No, but that has been corrected for future seasons. Am I satisfied with another 4 or 5 wins in a season. No, but we are rebuilding a program that only won 17 games total the past 7 years.In fact, in the past 50 years since my freshman year on 1961 North Texas has only experienced 19 winning seasons. You have to change a cluture that accepts loosing to one that demands winning.We are in the process of doing that, but it won't happen overnight. For the 1st time we have the financial resoures to hire experienced head coachs and a stadium that levels the playing field. I believe it is going to get worse before it gets better when we first enter CUSA. Of the 12 schools, I would put UNT,UTEP,UTSA,Rice,Tulane, and UAB in the bottom half, and La. Tech,Southern Miss.,FIU,ECU,Marshall, and Tulsa in the top half.We are looking 3 to 5 years down the road before we get really good, so just deal with it ,and quit all this petty non productive whinning. Just an old man's opinion.

• Upvote 1

Yep...and complaining about it all on a fan message board will really help solve the problems, right? Why not pick up the phone and call someone who might can do something about it all? The "apathy" I see around here is the fact that so many folks on this board and the other one (who really do form a good part of the backbone of the UNT fan base)_ like to say and post things here that they would in no way say to any one's face...especially in the manner they post here...we have some on the other board now posting that Coach Mac is full of S....t. I'm sure they would not say that to the man's face...in fact, I am 100% positive they wouldn't.

And, BTW...the Governor would have no control over the completion of the bridge. So, don't call him...it would be a waste of time and energy. Call someone who can make a difference.

As to the radio show (Coach mac Show) audio problems...I mentioned that last week to someone who actually knows what's going on and who is trying to get it fixed. It's a problem with the line at Rudy's BBQ. It's on Rudy's end of the house. They are working on it. If you might recall...it was not a problem last year and the show was held art the same place. I don't know enough about this stuff to know how difficult it will be to fix, but I did take the matter to someone who could help and does know. I didn't think just complaining here on some message board would do much good.

As to the refs mikes...I could not care less...not a problem for me, so I have not talked to anyone about that. But, if it were a problem, I'd find out who could help make it better and I'd chat with them. My guess...they know and they are trying to fix it...it might just be a tad more complicated than some folks think. I don't know. But, i do know that at times "squeaky wheels get some grease"...so, folks call the athletic dept. and let them know it's a problem for you. Be nice, be professional but call someone who might can help.

APATHY is just sitting around and letting "someone else do it". If it bothers you...call....at least let someone know. The more that call...and who call professionally and politely and in a helpful manner....might light a fire somewhere and get the situation elevated in priority and on the road to a fix.

I know it's easier to complain here on GMG.com and on that other board, but that sure doesn't do much to solve any problem...other than allowing for a little venting. ...OK, that's not bad at times either....

Anyway...folks...got a problem? call someone who might can help you with it....don't wait for someone else to do it. If it's not a big enough problem for you to try to help get it fixed...well, maybe it's not such a problem after all...just sayin......

Or, maybe you would rather just complain than actually see something done. Complaining is just so much easier. And, yes, it is our responsibility to help "fix" things that we see as broken....but, offering a solution and to help is also nice and goes a long way in getting stuff done. I learned that in 34 years of marriage around the house! Ha!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

We lost a game that we should have won. It happens. Get over it.Am I happy with only 5 home games this year. No, but that has been corrected for future seasons. Am I satisfied with another 4 or 5 wins in a season. No, but we are rebuilding a program that only won 17 games total the past 7 years.In fact, in the past 50 years since my freshman year on 1961 North Texas has only experienced 19 winning seasons. You have to change a cluture that accepts loosing to one that demands winning.We are in the process of doing that, but it won't happen overnight. For the 1st time we have the financial resoures to hire experienced head coachs and a stadium that levels the playing field. I believe it is going to get worse before it gets better when we first enter CUSA. Of the 12 schools, I would put UNT,UTEP,UTSA,Rice,Tulane, and UAB in the bottom half, and La. Tech,Southern Miss.,FIU,ECU,Marshall, and Tulsa in the top half.We are looking 3 to 5 years down the road before we get really good, so just deal with it ,and quit all this petty non productive whinning. Just an old man's opinion.

I admit to being a Koolaide drinker, but I'm not so sure about that. IMO, we've got an excellent and deep CUSA OL line to go along with a very good CUSA defense as we go into next season. We've just got to get some consistency out of the QB position and kicking game, and also find ourselves another playmaker or two. We've got some holes, but I still say things are looking up.

• Upvote 1

This is what I am talking about.

Dont play the blame game, just do whatever it takes to get it done.

I based upon this comment, I would feel comfortable in stating that you have never worked with a governmental agency on a construction project. The athletic department is far from perfect, but this isn't a project to place blame.

I wonder why being a fan is viewed the same as accepting mediocrity. Yes, I go to the games and bitch about the lack of improvement. However, I have been doing that for a lot of games over a 40 plus year period. That what most fans do, they look at wins as more than than are and some losses as catastrophic events.

Would not supporting the team be an antidote for a program that is not where we want it to be? Would firing the coach after a bad loss or benching the QB really work? In the vast majority of cases, no.

Few individual fans can turn a program around. If you are Boone Pickens or the owner of NIke, you maybe can; but those individuals are very rare.

The point is that no one accepts a bad program because they want to follow a struggling program. They follow it because they love sports and have some kind of connection to the team.

So the concept that fans somehow contribute to the poor status of a team because they accept the status quo is totally ludicrous. Withdrawing your support is not going to elevate the program, in fact it will exactly the opposite.

• Upvote 1

I based upon this comment, I would feel comfortable in stating that you have never worked with a governmental agency on a construction project. The athletic department is far from perfect, but this isn't a project to place blame.

Governmental agencies are influenced by politics and politicians. Most projects are ahead of schedule right now because of the very favorable weather of late.

Do you honestly think that bridge isn't finished by the 1st game if it were being built at UT, A@M, Tech, Baylor, SMU, TCU, Houston, or, hell, even UTEP?

But why do you just focus on one part of that post?

KRAM, I would love to call each and every coach, athletic department member, book store purchasing manager, BOR member, university president, and chancellor that has served at UNT for the last 20 years and complain, but I don't think that would be too productive, do you?

As for calling people currently in place, I don't want them to waste any time talking to me on the phone when they could be busy solving these problems. I'm sure if I can see they exist, the people that get paid to do the job can see it, also. Oh, and don't waste your time calling the book store and complaining. Already been down that path to no avail.

This is a fan board. Opinions are expressed here. Sometimes they aren't all sushine and rose pedals.

Wardly, you and I agree more than you know:

"since my freshman year on 1961 North Texas has only experienced 19 winning seasons. You have to change a cluture that accepts loosing to one that demands winning.We are in the process of doing that, but it won't happen overnight."

I think that change is happening in certain areas (product on the field, coaching salaries, etc..), but is moving much slower in others. Maybe we just disagree on the pace of the change.

KRAM, I would love to call each and every coach, athletic department member, book store purchasing manager, BOR member, university president, and chancellor that has served at UNT for the last 20 years and complain, but I don't think that would be too productive, do you?

As for calling people currently in place, I don't want them to waste any time talking to me on the phone when they could be busy solving these problems. I'm sure if I can see they exist, the people that get paid to do the job can see it, also. Oh, and don't waste your time calling the book store and complaining. Already been down that path to no avail.

Well, I don' think I suggested calling all the people you reference...a bit overboard you went there I think. BUT, to answer your question...YES, I have personally found it to be both helpful and enlightening when I do call by phone, contact by email and/or talk to the right folks in person. Amazing how perceptions can change with a little real knowledge from the folks who really know what's going on.

Will admit that I have not talked to anyone at the Bookstore, but the folks in the Administration at UNT, and the Athletic Dept. at UNT that I HAVE talked to have been very responsive and have been very professional and kind in taking time to talk with me about my concerns. Some, they could do something about and promised to try, some I learned that my thoughts and views were a bit "out of line with reality" and I learned something and some I found were being worked on already or could not be handled at this time for any number of legitimate reasons. Again, amazing what one can find out when they actually take the time to try to find some real facts and not just "stuff" posted on a message board.

I have also found that the manner in which these folks are approached and the "history" of the person doing the approaching has a part to play in how the conversation goes. I honestly think that if I always played the blame game, always criticized the folks I am now asking for information from, had no history of support for UNT, always criticized and never offered to help or offered tangible solutions then the response I received may have been a bit different. Funny, I have found this to be true throughout my professional and personal career. Amazing how that works....

Hard to be taken seriously if one just sits back and throws barbs and criticisms, but does little to nothing to try to make a difference. Now, to UNT90 here...folks this is not the case with UNT90 at all. This guy gives his time and his treasure to UNT...he has earned the right to be a tad "touchy" because he does not only talk the talk, but he also walks the walk. To that extent...calling these folks and professionally sharing concerns is not wasting any one's time. This is just the type of feedback and from the type of folks that they WANT to hear about and from.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Well...Oh, the joys of being a special teams player...feast or famine when the fans are concerned and as well the coaching staff at UNT it seems. Zach Olen had a tough day...granted. Zach Olen in no way lost that game....that game was lost as a team...how about that roughing penalty late in game with UNT inside the Troy 30 yard line? How about the missed passes, the missed blocks, the two Troy receivers who got behind...way behind our secondary and on and on????? It's a team sport and teams win and lose...individual players do not.

Zach and the rest of his teammates feel badly about this loss as we all do...but they feel even worse I am most certain. Zach and his teammates will right the ship and have a much better game Saturday against FAU. here's hoping Mac and Co. sends Zach right back out Saturday for the first FG attempt of the game for the Mean green...he'll nail it and go on from there. The kid can kick...been there done that...tough business this being a special teams player......Good luck Zach and good luck to all the Mean Green team....The Mean green nation stands with you, hurts with you for the loss but will cheer with you in victory Saturday. Go get 'em!!!!

Thanks for posting Mr. Olen!