TroyFootball05's Thoughts About Saturday at Apogee

TroyTrojan

Hey guys, no smack here, just some thoughts I'd like to share. I created my account ages ago but I post as TroyFootball05 everywhere else.

I have my doubts whether or not Troy can win this game. You guys play well at Apogee. Some things about Troy: we don't play offense the same way we've played over the last 4 years. Ever since 2009 we've passed 85% of the time. We actually have a very productive run game this year lead by #20 Shawn Southward. We had 262 rushing yards and 191 passing yards vs UAB and 223 rushing yards last week against Mississippi State. Louisiana was able to keep our run game in check as we had only 60 yards, but 528 passing yards against the Cajuns. We should have three running backs rotating Saturday with #31 D.J. Taylor, our jumbo back, finally being able to play this season. He's been sorely needed on short yardage plays. Our other back is our speed back, #15 Justin Albert, who played running back in high school, and played wide receiver last year. Shawn Southward is a mixture of a jumbo back and a speed back; he's very well conditioned and can handle an absurd amount of carries. I have a feeling Troy will score a lot. We've had totals of 453, 588, and 573 yards in our games so far. But we've also had 7 turnovers in the last two games where both our opponents have had none each. If Troy keeps the ball, they will score. Whether or not we can stop North Texas is another deal all together.

The Troy Defense is better than last year, but how much we're not certain of. They actually tackle this year, instead of the old "bump n' run" technique. Big plays have come from defensive backs being out of alignment, mostly the safeties. The corners are much improved from last year with three all-americans from different ranking systems. Ask if you want to know what they are. Watch out for #16 Chandler Worthy. He reminds me of Jerrel Jernigan and is coming along fine. He played as a true freshman last year and has looked a lot better so far. #8 Chip Reeves is our best deep threat. He played in 08, 09, and 10, and was ineligible due to grades in 2011. He's caught a lot of deep balls over his career and had 125 yards vs UAB. He's had a case of the drops over the last two games, so who knows if he'll be on or not. If he is, we'll score one or two easy touchdowns where he gets behind the defensive backs.

Again, this game could go either way. For Troy it all depends on turnovers and how the defense handles the mean green offense. We'll move the ball, we just need to keep it. I'd like to hear some of the evaluations of your team. Oh, and yall have some weird emoticons. :skydive::roadrage:

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

Good reasonable post, I think it will be a good game. I don't think Troy's offense is going to do as well as most Troy fans seems to think and NT will move the ball. Turnovers and special team play as often could determine the winner.

Troy has played a couple of peer teams UAB and ULL so you should have some idea of the talent level. NT on the other hand has played two very good teams, and a poor team, so as encouraging as the play at LSU and KSU was to some of us, NT is still largely an unknown.

I do think your team will be surprised at how much an advantage Apogee is.

• Upvote 1

This evaluation of Troy sounds very familiar, kinda like looking in the mirror.

I do think that we will get pressure on the QB, which will hurt Troy's passing game. I think we will be the toughest run defense Troy has faced.

But mainly, I think we run the ball straight down their throats. Jimmerson has a break out game (meaning near or over 200 yards). We control the clock, keep our offense fresh, and keep their defense off the field.

My head says this should be a close game, but I have this nagging feeling that it won't, that UNT wins big.

Special teams have GOT to be better.

• Upvote 1

For Troy it all depends on turnovers and how the defense handles the mean green offense.

...we're already looking great on making turnovers happen, and our offense is super ball-controlling'. I doubt we'll allow as many opportunities for the offense that you all are accustomed to from those factors alone.

But everyone's right, its Special Teams on this one.

• Upvote 2

Hey guys, no smack here, just some thoughts I'd like to share. I created my account ages ago but I post as TroyFootball05 everywhere else.

I have my doubts whether or not Troy can win this game. You guys play well at Apogee. Some things about Troy: we don't play offense the same way we've played over the last 4 years. Ever since 2009 we've passed 85% of the time. We actually have a very productive run game this year lead by #20 Shawn Southward. We had 262 rushing yards and 191 passing yards vs UAB and 223 rushing yards last week against Mississippi State. Louisiana was able to keep our run game in check as we had only 60 yards, but 528 passing yards against the Cajuns. We should have three running backs rotating Saturday with #31 D.J. Taylor, our jumbo back, finally being able to play this season. He's been sorely needed on short yardage plays. Our other back is our speed back, #15 Justin Albert, who played running back in high school, and played wide receiver last year. Shawn Southward is a mixture of a jumbo back and a speed back; he's very well conditioned and can handle an absurd amount of carries. I have a feeling Troy will score a lot. We've had totals of 453, 588, and 573 yards in our games so far. But we've also had 7 turnovers in the last two games where both our opponents have had none each. If Troy keeps the ball, they will score. Whether or not we can stop North Texas is another deal all together.

The Troy Defense is better than last year, but how much we're not certain of. They actually tackle this year, instead of the old "bump n' run" technique. Big plays have come from defensive backs being out of alignment, mostly the safeties. The corners are much improved from last year with three all-americans from different ranking systems. Ask if you want to know what they are. Watch out for #16 Chandler Worthy. He reminds me of Jerrel Jernigan and is coming along fine. He played as a true freshman last year and has looked a lot better so far. #8 Chip Reeves is our best deep threat. He played in 08, 09, and 10, and was ineligible due to grades in 2011. He's caught a lot of deep balls over his career and had 125 yards vs UAB. He's had a case of the drops over the last two games, so who knows if he'll be on or not. If he is, we'll score one or two easy touchdowns where he gets behind the defensive backs.

Again, this game could go either way. For Troy it all depends on turnovers and how the defense handles the mean green offense. We'll move the ball, we just need to keep it. I'd like to hear some of the evaluations of your team. Oh, and yall have some weird emoticons. :skydive::roadrage:

Nice post man -- I think you sum it up very well but I have to tell you this game scares me to death. It is such a big game to win for both teams. We have such a good vibe which I'm sure you guys do as well after an impressive win against UAB and showing against State. Thanks for visiting and enjoyed reading your thoughts.

The offense is one that takes what the defense gives, and executes well (especially up front). If your safeties sit deep playing against any kind of deep pass, we will run the ball a ton and mix in some dink-&-dunk passes underneath. If your safeties creep up, watch out for Brelan Chancellor to go over the top and take it to the house. Your RB situation sounds a lot like ours. We have a Big back named Byrd who is great between the tackles, but can bounce it out and pick up a first down, then we have an all purpose back named Jimmerson who can do it all.

Defensively, the front 4 are kinda shaky as our best pass rusher is a game time decision (??, or is he out, do we know?). Our linebackers are the strength of the defense. The secondary is quite a conundrum as they appear to be ball hawks, but there is very little experience in any of the starting 4.

Special teams... please don't hurt us too badly here!

I'm looking for a very close game, as I think both teams recognize the importance of this game to set the tone for conference play. UNT wins a squeaker.

35-10 MEAN GREEN!

this game is going one way i'm afraid, and that's to the wood shed with Troy.

I like your respectful post, but our team looked good against KState and LSU. Troy is neither of those 2. We shall see.

• Upvote 1