season tickets

10Eagle10

Haven't received mine as yet...I am actually more interested to see where my parking spot is this season than I am in seeing what the tickets look like...parking reassigned based on priority points I am told. keeping my fingers crossed for the same lot and spot as last year...I liked it! But, wherever it is...our car will be there for the Mean Green games (bringing us along with it of course). Cannot wait for that first home game!!!!

It pains me to say it, but FFR is right. Mean Green Club membership is a membership. It's not a gift. You purchase membership in the Club with the expectations of the benefits provided in return. You want to give for givings sake? Then donate your money to the athletic department outside of the Mean Green Club.

I'm not totally sure he's against the Recent Grad program - only the decision of one poster about utilizing it when they may or may not have needed to and their constant reminder of it here and other places.

There is an established process for donating to the Mean Green Club and not accepting the "benefits". This impacts how much of the donation can be written off. The IRS considers the membership fee as a charitable donation. The benefits are pretty much nominal gifts to members and I don't believe are intended to equal the value of the donation.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 1

There is an established process for donating to the Mean Green Club and not accepting the "benefits". This impacts how much of the donation can be written off. The IRS considers the membership fee as a charitable donation. The benefits are pretty much nominal gifts to members and I don't believe are intended to equal the value of the donation.

The statement I received following my donation shows that I can only write off $400 of the $500 MGC membership, which would equate the benefits as a value of $100. The rest is considered a charitable donation by the IRS.

• Upvote 2

Well said....this is the correct stance and the correct mindset. It establishes a "pattern of giving" and that's a very very big first step. Anyone who has ever worked major giving campaigns knows that is what you look for...a pattern of giving...and that is what you try to develop early. With early/young givers, the amount is all but immaterial. As said above, it's the pattern of giving one is trying to establish. The recent grad program with the Mean Green Club and the new grad program through the Alumni Association aim to do just that...establish a pattern of giving. Grant.UNT is the prototype young alum that has established a pattern of giving back to his university and I would place a wager on the fact that Grant continues to give, continues to understand why he is giving and increases his level of giving as he becomes able to do so in the future. It will not be the Grant's of the world who withhold support because they develop some personal pettiness or because they think they are losing some level of influence with the university. UNT needs lots and lots of Grant.UNT's, and these younger givers should be respected and thanked. They are the future of UNT.

I was informed of no discounts and took no discounts pertaining to mean green club membership. When I learned that I spent several times more than I had to, I shrugged my shoulders and drank another beer.

There are three scenarios that would cause me to stop giving at or above 2012 levels, and not one of them is remotely related to benefits received or department staff.

• Upvote 1

Mostly correct. The tax law is that if the donation is in connection with tickets the charitable donation deduction is 80% of what you give.

Got my tickets today! YIPEEEEEEEEEEE...now, someone tell me where Lot 3 is as I have no clue. Did they rename/number some of the Parking Areas???? Or...are they trying to tell me something and Lot 3 is actually over on Fry Street somewhere?????

Tickets look great...and got the basketball season ticket renewal form in the packet with my tickets...that's going back tomorrow...cvan't wait to get those tickets as well.

NOW...WHERE IS LOT 3????? Ha! No, seriously......

• Upvote 1

I got my tickets yes indeed very happy. I also got a key chain that I did not need. I only want to support the program with no needs for token gifts. If feels like football outside today. I can not wait. Go Mean Green.

I completely agree. I'm not really a keychain kinda guy. However, I'm sporting it so that my 2 ALUM coworkers that aren't involved will ask me about it.

It's like carrying your Bible in to work with you. It opens doors to save the lost, or at least wrangle in the ones that have strayed. :thumbsu:

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Got my tickets today! YIPEEEEEEEEEEE...now, someone tell me where Lot 3 is as I have no clue. Did they rename/number some of the Parking Areas???? Or...are they trying to tell me something and Lot 3 is actually over on Fry Street somewhere?????

Tickets look great...and got the basketball season ticket renewal form in the packet with my tickets...that's going back tomorrow...cvan't wait to get those tickets as well.

NOW...WHERE IS LOT 3????? Ha! No, seriously......

LOT 3 is the Athletic Center Parking lot, Lot 2 is the West side of the stadium, Lot 1 is behind the Wings(Alumni Pavilion), and Blue/Red are by Victory.

• Upvote 1

Not to pile on here... but I've called Jessica 4 times throughout the life of my MGC membership. Left messages all 4 times, waited 2-3 days and never heard back from her. Had to go up to John B, who's now gone. As the new director, I hope she's better about answering, or at least returning messages.

Following-up here:

I recently had to call Jessica again to clarify some questions on my MGC membership and she called me back the very next day and was every bit as helpful/knowledgable as John ever was.

I don't think it would be fair to just leave the original negative remark out here without this positive follow-up.

• Upvote 2

Following-up here:

I recently had to call Jessica again to clarify some questions on my MGC membership and she called me back the very next day and was every bit as helpful/knowledgable as John ever was.

I don't think it would be fair to just leave the original negative remark out here without this positive follow-up.

Great to hear!