When A Broyles Era Razorback Said UT & North Texas Were...

Look, here's an OU example. They don't care. They roll out the black and white stuff from the 1950s! Old men doing their thing in a modern intro. You think honeybadger gives a f*ck? Honeybadger don't care. He give you all he has until you are ground up in his belly...just like OU, Texas, etc. They will force feed their history to those who choose to enter their gates:

We could make a hell of a 2 minute intro like this one with our history - from the MVC stars of the 50s - 70s, the wins over Tennessee, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, Baylor, the four consective bowls and those players, and coaches like Rod Rust, Hayden Fry, and Dan McCarney.

I'd fade in the first TD in Apogee versus Houston, the win over Indiana, the crushing of ULM, and the dismantling of MTSU.

This can be done.

Although I respect what UTSA is doing. They have no history at all. We have some stuff and some guys from the past. We have facilities and momentum for the future. Tie it all together in one big bundle and put it in the eyeballs and ear holes of everyone - friend and foe - who walks into Apogee Stadium for a game.

• Upvote 2

RV has already said that a great deal of unT history was allowed to waste away in the bowels of fouts

and you really think that highlights of a 5 point win in 1978 over a 3-8 OkState, or wins from 1986 and 1919 over TCU and the already mentioned single win over a terrible Baylor team are really things that current recruits want to see?

why not include the back to back 1976-1977 "wins" by forfeit over Mississippi State?

And do you really think a high school recruit will look up UNT's record when a nice victory was recorded in the books years ago? No. They'll see that UNT beat Baylor, TCU, Tx Tech, Houston, Indiana, Tulsa (you know, that team we recruit against every year!), and many others. The Fake Lonnie Finch has it right. Market the good stuff.....plaster it on that video board....whatever it takes. Do not forget the past successes. Should we place the Jonas Buckles "jaw jarring hits" in the bowels of Fouts? Hell no! Nor should we forget about the Ramsey to Barry Moore and John Love touchdown "bombs" of the '60's.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 3

Not sure I understand the turn that this tread has taken at all. I assume those that dismiss NT history, at least acknowledge that NT was the first by years in the state of Texas and most of the South to integrate. Damn important and something all fans should be proud of, no matter if most were born years afterward.

I don't expect fans who were not alive for the Greene, Ramsey or Fry teams to be overly impressed with something that happened decades ago; but it is important to realize that NT has a long athletic history. More remember the DD 26 game Belt winning streak but that is old history to some.

The subject loss/robbery to Arkansas to me was much more significant than the 1988 UT game; that Arkansas team was much better but before downgrading the UT game remember that NT was a fc/1aa team playing a UT team that was down that year. Also that NT beat Rice and Tech that year.

I hope fans have a lot more landmark games to look back on, years down the road. However, that doesn't change history; it just adds to it. To dismiss the past because it is not relevant anymore, is incredibly short sighted.

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 2

Yea... And the only people who care about that kinda stuff at those schools are OLD too. This world is for younger more kickass fans. Sorry gramps.

You are 100% correct and don't forget what you have just said when you hit retirement age, too, if your lucky enough to make it to retirement age. Many of

us have numerous friends and acquaintainces who didn't.

I will never forget actor Michael Landon on the Johnny Carson show weeks before he died looking straight into the TV camera telling America just how short life can be and would be for him. I remember seeing Ron Shanklin at Fouts and a few months before he died pulling for his Mean Green and looking too thin and frail. It was an unsettling scene for the many of us who loved that guy. He was family.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

You take out the dropping to 1AA years (not that they were horrible for 1AA), and you take out the results of the recent TD debacle, and our history isn't all that bad. Maybe not great in comparison to the big-time programs, but certainly not something to run and hide from.

The 1AA thing essentially eliminated the 80's and 90's (including "reconstruction") from our "recent" big-time football history, so we really have no choice but to go back pretty far to even find any real 1A history prior to this century. Twenty year olds are naturally going to have short memories, so I guess going back 30+ years seems too ancient to be relevant. Those memories will get longer soon enough.

• Upvote 2

Yea... And the only people who care about that kinda stuff at those schools are OLD too. This world is for younger more kickass fans. Sorry gramps.

No respect for many of the old "gramps" who, along with the students, did their part in getting that new stadium. How many of you "younger" kickass fans donated funds specifically for the stadium? Without all of that old, boring football history maybe older fans would not have donated a dime.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I think P1 may be my new favorite poster. He posts things which are clearly (I'm hoping) tongue in cheek just to see if anyone can recognize sarcasm. And, time and again, his attempts to draw people offsides are effective. Kudos for that.

I think the meanings of some posts may be getting a bit lost here. I know that for my part I fully appreciate the accomplishments of the past. Any fool can recognize how good Joe Greene and Abner Haynes were. But I guess I depart from the sentiments of those same people who prop them up, all the while attempting to use their greatness to juxtapose with the current crop of teams. How can you in one breath (post) talk about just how far along we'd be if only a call had gone our way in 1968...and then in the next one basically write off an era where four straight conference titles actually were WON. Disparaging the Sun Belt ad nauseum, talking about how no team reached the top 25, and essentially cheapening the accomplishments of those teams is asinine at best...and ruinous to our program at worst. We are in CUSA now so we'll be getting traffic from a whole new crop of onlookers. How in the world can we expect them to come over here and see us run down our current home (SBC) and the titles we won in it, which the world outside of this message board knows us for, and then not think we're just plain silly for championing our near misses? Ask your average Joe on the street what they know about NT football. If they know anything they'll mention the bowl run. Ask Mac and the coaches what they sell to the recruits. Is it "we're not that far removed from winning multiple conference titles" or is it "Hey, 40 years ago we almost beat Arkansas"? Again, those teams were awesome. But let's just not sit here and continue to downplay the era of NT football that might actually draw in the average fan and get us to where we want to be.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I think P1 may be my new favorite poster. He posts things which are clearly (I'm hoping) tongue in cheek just to see if anyone can recognize sarcasm. And, time and again, his attempts to draw people offsides are effective. Kudos for that.

I think the meanings of some posts may be getting a bit lost here. I know that for my part I fully appreciate the accomplishments of the past. Any fool can recognize how good Joe Greene and Abner Haynes were. But I guess I depart from the sentiments of those same people who prop them up, all the while attempting to use their greatness to juxtapose with the current crop of teams. How can you in one breath (post) talk about just how far along we'd be if only a call had gone our way in 1968...and then in the next one basically write off an era where four straight conference titles actually were WON. Disparaging the Sun Belt ad nauseum, talking about how no team reached the top 25, and essentially cheapening the accomplishments of those teams is asinine at best...and ruinous to our program at worst. We are in CUSA now so we'll be getting traffic from a whole new crop of onlookers. How in the world can we expect them to come over here and see us run down our current home (SBC) and the titles we won in it, which the world outside of this message board knows us for, and then not think we're just plain silly for championing our near misses? Ask your average Joe on the street what they know about NT football. If they know anything they'll mention the bowl run. Ask Mac and the coaches what they sell to the recruits. Is it "we're not that far removed from winning multiple conference titles" or is it "Hey, 40 years ago we almost beat Arkansas"? Again, those teams were awesome. But let's just not sit here and continue to downplay the era of NT football that might actually draw in the average fan and get us to where we want to be.

You are so right about every bit of what you've posted, Emmitt. I really should have respected the Sun Belt Conference more than I did.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

You are 100% correct and don't forget what you have just said when you hit retirement age, too, if your lucky enough to make it to retirement age. Many of

us have numerous friends and acquaintainces who didn't.

I will never forget actor Michael Landon on the Johnny Carson show weeks before he died looking straight into the TV camera telling America just how short life can be and would be for him. I remember seeing Ron Shanklin at Fouts and a few months before he died pulling for his Mean Green and looking too thin and frail. It was an unsettling scene for the many of us who loved that guy. He was family.

GMG!

No respect for many of the old "gramps" who, along with the students, did their part in getting that new stadium. How many of you "younger" kickass fans donated funds specifically for the stadium? Without all of that old, boring football history maybe older fans would not have donated a dime.

Deep, from our basketball chatroom times, I think you know I love you and was being a bit sarcastic.

Also, do you get the feeling that PMG threatened my life in the quoted text above?

Deep, from our basketball chatroom times, I think you know I love you and was being a bit sarcastic.

Also, do you get the feeling that PMG threatened my life in the quoted text above?

Green P1, you and and handful of your pals are real smart asses now arent' you? (Did you like that tricked-up sarcasm, Emmitt)?

I like this board more and more....with all the subtlety and all. Makes me think we have some real intellectuals among our crowd. I know it has its share of smart asses

who don't like to talk about any North Texas athletic era other than their own.

And I don't take very lightly any insinuation that I'm out to kill anyone. Are you just plain assed dumb or stupid for suggesting such, Green P1? I don't find any humor in that--tricked up sarcasm or not. I might want to put a boot in their ass, but that would just about do it.

Harry, please tell the Romper Room section of GMG.com to change their diapers because they're beginnning to really stink it up on this board and they have already caused another group of true fans and supporters who used to be regulars on this board for years to basically leave for another message board quite frankly; or even if still a member of this board to not post as much as they used to and that because of this little clique on this board.

And you have here a clique who seem to want to remind all just how awfully smart they are and how god'awful lucky North Texas is to have them, yet hijacking a thread most of which are informative or turning a thread that was going along quite smoothly with positive posts from several respondents into something negative because it just didn't suit them (or their era as UNT students) is a most unusual way for this little group to get get noticed which i guess is a main priority for them.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

you celebrate the "domination" of a team that was 3-9 that season and that unT is 1-12 against all time and that beat unT the next year in dominating fashion when they were 3-8

pretty high standards for a "big win" and "domination" there

Putting the word domination in quotes doesn't erase the fact that it happened. Spin it with stats however you like, but a blowout of a regional Big XII opponent will always be a good memory for me...especially with the way their fans acted that day. Good job ignoring my mention of the Cincy win too, those guys were C-USA co-champs that year and lost by a field goal to Ohio State.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Sometimes sarcasm goes right over my head. And I love you too Green P1.

Edited by DeepGreen
  • Upvote 2

Green P1, you and and handful of your pals are real smart asses now arent' you? (Did you like that tricked-up sarcasm, Emmitt)?

I like this board more and more....with all the subtlety and all. Makes me think we have some real intellectuals among our crowd. I know it has its share of smart asses

who don't like to talk about any North Texas athletic era other than their own.

And I don't take very lightly any insinuation that I'm out to kill anyone. Are you just plain assed dumb or stupid for suggesting such, Green P1? I don't find any humor in that--tricked up sarcasm or not. I might want to put a boot in their ass, but that would just about do it.

Harry, please tell the Romper Room section of GMG.com to change their diapers because they're beginnning to really stink it up on this board and they have already caused another group of true fans and supporters who used to be regulars on this board for years to basically leave for another message board quite frankly; or even if still a member of this board to not post as much as they used to and that because of this little clique on this board.

And you have here a clique who seem to want to remind all just how awfully smart they are and how god'awful lucky North Texas is to have them, yet hijacking a thread most of which are informative or turning a thread that was going along quite smoothly with positive posts from several respondents into something negative because it just didn't suit them (or their era as UNT students) is a most unusual way for this little group to get get noticed which i guess is a main priority for them.

GMG!

Well said, Plumm!

• Upvote 1

Good point, Deep. I had not thought of that comment in that way. My comments below are not directed in any way toward you.

When I was not a "Gramps" (when I was in my early-to-mid-30s) my wife and I debated extensively giving the grand sum of $1,000 a year to the athletic department at NTSU because we loved the university and the athletic potential that Hayden Fry had magically flamed. But honestly we could not afford to contribute 1/9th of my paycheck and so, rationally, we instead contributed a minimal amount of money. It was the right decision, and it was a good decision for our situation in life at the time.

So from my time at NTSU (1970s) until two years ago we, along with the rest of the football fans of our university, attended football games at a stadium that represented the sacrifices of our university's fans back in 1952 who were old enough, and established enough, to be able to significantly contribute to the construction of Fouts Field.

Fast forward to 2010- 2011: WE are now called "Gramps" by someone on this board from a later generation (sarcasm or not, a totally unappreciated comment) who has halfway suggested that the modern era should be this board's focus.

Well Sir, let me remind you of this fact: Along with the university students who voted for the student fee, Apogee Stadium EXISTS TODAY because of the folks on this board who you are calling "Gramps"; a group of posters who generally want nothing more than to sit in a comfortable football stadium; to be able to discuss and enjoy the memories of their younger days at NTSU/UNT; to work for a wonderful future for UNT athletics and academics; AND to put their considerable financial assets where THEIR mouth's are......

Forty years ago I could not justify giving $1,000 a year to the NTSU Athletic Department! TODAY I, and many of the other "Gramps" on this board - and other "Gramps" who have never accessed GMG.COM - have given, and are giving, many many times over $1,000 a year for the construction of Apogee Stadium and the many other athletic and academic needs of this university - and we will continue to do so on a yearly basis.

Let me remind you of one more thing: We have spent the past 40 + years in old Fouts Field. Many of us have helped construct a stadium that maybe, just maybe, we will be able to enjoy for another 10 years or so before we become infirmed or simply die.

YOU, on the other hand, because of the generosity of the students and the "Gramps" both on and off this board, are going to be able to enjoy Apogee Stadium for decades.

It seems to me that your response regarding our enjoyment via board postings in re-living the NTSU/UNT glory days (and athletes) of our past were way over-board.

It would seem to me that you would respect the years of service and devotion given to NTSU/UNT by these many people on this board in the same way that WE respect the younger generations on this board that are today providing service and devotion to our university - even though they may be too young to financially contribute at a high level today, and even though they tend to make what we feel are inane comments on the GMG board.

But these "Gramps" are contributing to your future enjoyment with the expectation that ten-to-thirty years down the road you will be there to replace our monetary and service contributions for the sake of future generations who will be singing "Glory to the Green".

You, sir, respect our past and we will respect your future.

Gramps

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

I was at that game in 68. I was too far away from the pass in question to make a judgement on it, but I knew we had probably lost the game when Steve Ramsey and Leo Taylor fumbled an exchange on the Arkansas 2-yard line, blowing an earlier scoring opportunity. I was sitting right near that area and could see the disaster unfolding as though it were in slow motion.

I was at that game too. I also had that slow-motion feeling of despair.

• Upvote 1