Texas/DFW recruiting winds are changing

Harry

Wyoming has 11 Texas players on their current roster

New Mexico has 8

Here's the kicker, Colorado State has 24 from Texas! I seriously doubt any of these schools took joy in our C-USA invite.

The good ole days of Colorado State cherry picking DFW area and Texas talent is now over.

The days of these schools coming into our state and telling recruits they have a better conference, better facilities better destination games is done.

We now hold an even conference footing with Tulsa, La. Tech, Rice and UTEP. Now the DFW area recruits have everything here. Our facilities look to be top notch as is our coaching staff.

TCU's moved up to a higher level in the Big 12 which will I believe will require them to go more national in scope. This will allow us to land more of the small school gems they rebuilt their program with.

SMU's move to the big East will help them in basketball but it will take time. In football, I like our position in C-USA against them a lot. We can offer regional Texas rivalries against them having to fly out to the coasts.

If we capitalize on these new developments, and start winning there will be some outstanding recruiting days for North Texas ahead.

Wyoming has 11 Texas players on their current roster

New Mexico has 8

Here's the kicker, Colorado State has 24 from Texas! I seriously doubt any of these schools took joy in our C-USA invite.

The good ole days of Colorado State cherry picking DFW area and Texas talent is now over.

The days of these schools coming into our state and telling recruits they have a better conference, better facilities better destination games is done.

We now hold an even conference footing with Tulsa, La. Tech, Rice and UTEP. Now the DFW area recruits have everything here. Our facilities look to be top notch as is our coaching staff.

TCU's moved up to a higher level in the Big 12 which will I believe will require them to go more national in scope. This will allow us to land more of the small school gems they rebuilt their program with.

SMU's move to the big East will help them in basketball but it will take time. In football, I like our position in C-USA against them a lot. We can offer regional Texas rivalries against them having to fly out to the coasts.

If we capitalize on these new developments, and start winning there will be some outstanding recruiting days for North Texas ahead.

I think TCU will become another whipping boy in the Big 12. Much like Baylor, I feel they will suffer long periods of struggling on the field, and winning seasons will come few and far between. In the end, I think TCU will fight it out with Baylor for the same DFW recruits they have been fighting over; mostly 3 star recruits that didn't get offers from Texas and OU. TCU was a safe add for the Big 12. I do think TCU will have more success recruiting nationally.

I honestly think some of the recruits Baylor and TCU will fight over, will end up signing with Houston, SMU, and UNT.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

It seems to me we're recruiting players this season who are more highly ranked than ever before. I'm not talking about 4* players or anything, but there's more and more guys listing us that are in the top 100 at their positions nationally and this should be a great recruiting season for us. The CUSA change should give us a boost and the days of signing players with no other FBS offers or only SBC offers are over. We will need all the help we can get to compete with Tulsa, I think they'll have the west locked down for the first couple of years.

• Upvote 1

It gives us a big recruiting edge over the MWC, WAC, & SBC as they have basically lost the Texas connection.

Outside of the Big 12 we should have an edge when it comes to local TV & press in the major Texas markets. When we play Rice, UTEP, or UTSA we will get press coverage in 2 large Texas markets at the same time.

I think smu isolated themselves in a conference that has little connection to Texas. Only Houston can help them fill a half empty stadium only once every two years. Basketball will be brutal for them.

No matter where we recruit in Texas, parents will get the chance to see their kids play. That's a huge selling point.

• Upvote 3

UTSA is a team now, and Larry Coker has long recruited Texas for Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, and Miami. We will see some dogfights in recruiting against the Runnin' Roadrunners. So many people hate UTSA already.

Larry Coker was a gem of a hire. If you don't believe me, calmly bend over and light your own fart - it's harder to do than it looks. Recruiting against Coker will be as difficult as lighting your own fart. I'm telling you now so you don't keep underestimating them.

Oh, I remember all the laughter and guffawing at UTSA. Yeah, I do. And, yet, they didn't have to waste years and years and years in the Big West and Sun Belt. They will all of the sudden be in the same mid-major conference with us.

Hear me now, believe me later - UTSA will surpass in victoriousness Rice, Lousiana Tech, Tulane, UTEP, and the like. They will push us with Larry Coker. They. Will. Push us.

• Upvote 2

You're right. This probably one reason why the MWC was seeking an alliance or an merger was to maintain access to Texas for recruiting. With TCU joining the Big 12, UTSA and LaTech joining the C-USA and TSU joining the Sun Belt. There will be no schools in the region in the WAC or the MWC. That's incredible. With NMSU either joining the Sun belt or dropping to the FCS, the school will drop from the college recruiting radar in North Texas.

Certainly with UNT joining the C-USA will increase recruiting opportunities. Because C-USA is structured around schools in a geographic region a player's friends and family will be able to attend most of the player's games. This is big advantage over SMU. Rivalries will develop among area schools, new recruits will want to be a part. Including possible out of conference rivalries within metroplex teams in the Big East and Big 12. With SMU joining the Big East, regional Big 12 teams will become less interested in booking games with SMU, will want to engage UNT.

Bottom line it will become extreme difficult for the MWC to recruit in DFW.

Edited by Mark Gommesen
  • Upvote 1

Just an interesting note, using scout's rankings, in 2012 we offered zero players(or had zero chance to land players) in the top 100 nationally at their positions. I'm sure we did recruit players in that category, but it's clear we are looking at higher graded recruits for the future. Our highest rated signees were #116 CB David Busby and #118 OG Boone Feldt in 2012, and so far in 2013 we have offered 15 known players in the top 100 at their positions. I know it's early, and interest will fade as major schools come in and offer, but the level of recruit we're going after is impressive so far. We'll see if we can land any of them, early momentum will make a huge difference.

I think this past season when we received a slew of commits from 1/29/12 to signing day it was a bunch of tweeners or plan B guys that got offers when a couple players decommitted and a couple others chose to go elsewhere. Guys like Mark Lewis, Lajaylin Smith, Dutton Watson, Mustafa Haboul, Jamal Marshall who could pan out to be great players, but are considered more of a risk. Those days are over, with Mac now having 2 classes under his belt, this should be his best class, hands down. Looking forward to seeing some stars on the board this season as opposed to the usual "Not ranked."

• Upvote 1

UTSA is a team now, and Larry Coker has long recruited Texas for Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, and Miami. We will see some dogfights in recruiting against the Runnin' Roadrunners. So many people hate UTSA already.

Larry Coker was a gem of a hire. If you don't believe me, calmly bend over and light your own fart - it's harder to do than it looks. Recruiting against Coker will be as difficult as lighting your own fart. I'm telling you now so you don't keep underestimating them.

Oh, I remember all the laughter and guffawing at UTSA. Yeah, I do. And, yet, they didn't have to waste years and years and years in the Big West and Sun Belt. They will all of the sudden be in the same mid-major conference with us.

Hear me now, believe me later - UTSA will surpass in victoriousness Rice, Lousiana Tech, Tulane, UTEP, and the like. They will push us with Larry Coker. They. Will. Push us.

And after a winning season or two, Coker will be gone.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I respectfully disagree. They have a long way to go before they see a .500 season in CUSA.

Coker coached at Miami. Miami. In it's prime. He was handed the premier program in the country and managed to muck it up. Yes, he won a national title. His 1st year. With someone elses players. Each year the record got worse and the players more out of control, or should I say more publicly out of control, that is. In year 6, when he should have MIAMI. Yes, THAT MIAMI running strong, they finish 6-6 as Coker loses control of his players on several occasions.

Then he lost out to Baliff for the Rice coaching job. Let me repeat that. He couldn't land the Rice coaching job. After winning a national championship. He was then unable to get a coaching gig for 2 years. A national championship winning coach.

He then took a head coaching gig at a start up program with no facilities that would play FCS football. Why? Sugarcoat it all he wants, there were no other options. Yes, it was/is a good hire for a UTSA type program.

Forgive me if I think he will struggle mightily at UTSA.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1

Just an interesting note, using scout's rankings, in 2012 we offered zero players(or had zero chance to land players) in the top 100 nationally at their positions. I'm sure we did recruit players in that category, but it's clear we are looking at higher graded recruits for the future. Our highest rated signees were #116 CB David Busby and #118 OG Boone Feldt in 2012, and so far in 2013 we have offered 15 known players in the top 100 at their positions. I know it's early, and interest will fade as major schools come in and offer, but the level of recruit we're going after is impressive so far. We'll see if we can land any of them, early momentum will make a huge difference.

I think this past season when we received a slew of commits from 1/29/12 to signing day it was a bunch of tweeners or plan B guys that got offers when a couple players decommitted and a couple others chose to go elsewhere. Guys like Mark Lewis, Lajaylin Smith, Dutton Watson, Mustafa Haboul, Jamal Marshall who could pan out to be great players, but are considered more of a risk. Those days are over, with Mac now having 2 classes under his belt, this should be his best class, hands down. Looking forward to seeing some stars on the board this season as opposed to the usual "Not ranked."

I hope recruiting substantially improves but offering players and signing them are far different. CUSA will help some as will Apogee, but the facts are most Texas teams are still ahead of NT on a conference basis and one team UTSA that NT was definitely ahead of is now equal. As far as other potential Western CUSA teams, Tulane's new coach is definitely beating NT for La recruits, and La Tech and Tulsa both have that winning thing above NT at this time.

This will be McCarney's third class and it is certainly time for at least an improvement, and I think that will happen. The question is to what extent will recruiting improve? All these offers to a higher level of athlete are good, but nothing will be accomplished till they actually sign in February. Any team can offer, it doesn't mean much if anything.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hope recruiting substantially improves but offering players and signing them are far different. CUSA will help some as will Apogee, but the facts are most Texas teams are still ahead of NT on a conference basis and one team UTSA that NT was definitely ahead of is now equal. As far as other potential Western CUSA teams, Tulane's new coach is definitely beating NT for La recruits, and La Tech and Tulsa both have that winning thing above NT at this time.

This will be McCarney's third class and it is certainly time for at least an improvement, and I think that will happen. The question is to what extent will recruiting improve? All these offers to a higher level of athlete are good, but nothing will be accomplished till they actually sign in February. Any team can offer, it doesn't mean much if anything.

No UTSA is not our equal yet. They still have facilities to build, which I expect they will in time. They had a strong fanbase in their initial season but the years of losing could impact that. I submit the quality, and dedication of our recruiting has already increased significantly under Mac.

No UTSA is not our equal yet. They still have facilities to build, which I expect they will in time. They had a strong fanbase in their initial season but the years of losing could impact that. I submit the quality, and dedication of our recruiting has already increased significantly under Mac.

My post was confusing which isn't rare, I was referring to conference affiliation; not the overall status of the program.

I also think that you are correct in that the dedication and approach to recruiting is substantially better under McCarney, but I don't think the results are yet. Yes, it is better than dying programs under both Dodge and Dickey in their last few years but I don't see any significant improvement over early Dickey or Dodge. Hopefully, this will be the year that happens.

• Upvote 1

It's ridiculous to have to keep doing this, but Larry Coker is not going to have problems. The guy has been part of winners at every stop - Tulsa, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Miami.

So, Rice made the mistake of not hiring him. The joke's on Rice, not Larry.

Also, the guy's 63. Unless by some miracle the hometown hero BIll Blankenship abandons the Tulsa job, I don't think Larry will go anywhere else. Larry will be to UTSA what Howard Schnellenberger was to FAU...only with more money to work with and at a bigger school...oh yeah...and, in a better conference.

For our part, UNT needs to nut up and show Larry we can beat him. It's been bad against schools he's coached against us

1980: Tulsa 28, NT 27 - Coker, Tulsa OC (8-3, MWC Champions)

1982: Tulsa 38, NT 20 - Coker, Tulsa OC (10-1, MVC Champions)

1983: Oklahoma State 20, NT 13 - Coker, OSU OC (8-4, Bluebonner Bowl)

1985: Oklahoma State 10, NT 9 - Coker, OSU OC (8-4, Gator Bowl)

1991: Oklahoma 40, NT 2 - Coker, OU OC (9-3, Gator Bowl)

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's ridiculous to have to keep doing this, but Larry Coker is not going to have problems. The guy has been part of winners at every stop - Tulsa, Oklahoma State, Oklahoma, Ohio State, and Miami.

Also, the guy's 63. Unless by some miracle the hometown hero BIll Blankenship abandons the Tulsa job, I don't think Larry will go anywhere else. Larry will be to UTSA what Howard Schnellenberger was to FAU...only with more money to work with and at a bigger school...oh yeah...and, in a better conference.

For our part, UNT needs to nut up and show Larry we can beat him. It's been bad against schools he's coached against us

I think you underestimate how far UTSA has to go. Coker will be the guy to get them through the abyss, help them to build their infrastructure and facilities and will hand the baton to a new coach that will lead them into their years of prosperity. I do believe they will have a bright future...it will just take time.

My post was confusing which isn't rare, I was referring to conference affiliation; not the overall status of the program.

I also think that you are correct in that the dedication and approach to recruiting is substantially better under McCarney, but I don't think the results are yet. Yes, it is better than dying programs under both Dodge and Dickey in their last few years but I don't see any significant improvement over early Dickey or Dodge. Hopefully, this will be the year that happens.

I think having a strength and conditioning coach who's as dedicated to this job as our current one is key. Make no mistake, this is the best coaching staff top to bottom in Denton, Texas since Hayden Fry. Mac knows how to develop talent better than both Dickey and Dodge and has more tools to do so. some of these guys who are project players will be stars here. The players love Mac and will work tirelessly for him, Dodge never had that from his players. That will make a huge difference in the coming years IMO.

• Upvote 1

UTSA and Texas State will battle for recruits that Texas and TAMU dont take. Besides, one of the big turn offs when my son was being recruited was they have not even broke ground on facilities. They currently use a high school to practice. Yes, they have great plans, but they are only plans. Tulsa and Arkansas St will be hurt in recuiting here in DFW with us moving to CUSA along with the new facilities. Tulsa lives in DFW during recruiting season.

• Upvote 1

Not sure why Scout has Boone Feldt classified as a guard, because I believe Rivals had him as a top 20 Center in the country.

• Upvote 1

I think you underestimate how far UTSA has to go. Coker will be the guy to get them through the abyss, help them to build their infrastructure and facilities and will hand the baton to a new coach that will lead them into their years of prosperity. I do believe they will have a bright future...it will just take time.

Perhaps. But, I look at the start-from-scratch programs like South Florida. They had a coach with skins on the wall, but far fewer than Larry. But, he had support from the school, connections, and willing cash.

UTSA has support from the school, Coker has connections, and they are getting cash. Remember, they were on Longhorn Network more than the Longhorns last year.

I'm not saying I'm happy about UTSA being able to be in the same conference as us without "paying their dues." I am saying, when you have committed people and cash all up and down the line, good things will happen for you sooner rather than later.

Look at their home schedule. They've got San Jose State and Utah State on back-to-back weekend. Yeah, it's not Notre Dame and Texas, but it ain't Texas Southern either. I'm just saying they have been getting some things done behind the scenes with an eye on "big" instead of just hoping for it.

I realize their schedules will change due to realignment, but look at who they had home games from in the future - Oklahoma State, Arizona, Arizona State, Virginia, Baylor.

As I've said before, like it or not, San Antonio is an attractive trip to people who haven't been there 100 times and don't already realize the Alamo ain't a big deal, and there is better Tex-Mex elsehwere in the state. To Virginia people, the Alamo will be exciting history, and the Tex-Mex more spicy and exciting than whatever crap passes for Mexican up there.

They got decent programs to commit to go there before they've even played one down as an FBS school! Why? They know where they want to go, and they are going there. And, old man Larry Coker, well respected in the coaching community, is a big part of that. San Antonio is a natural tourist draw, and Coker is a nice guy who hasn't burned bridges along the way.

We pooh-pooh UTSA at our own peril. Tulsa will die on the vine because their DFW recruiting will be diminished. The Roadrunners will be our rival. We need to realize it now, accept it, and most of all, prepare for it.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I agree with Harry. They will struggle mightily in the new conference for at least 5 years while they ATTEMPT to build a program. What happened in 1991 has nothing to do with today. Coker will have to sell himself, not Oklahoma St or Miami.

UTSA hasn't won 1 game in their football history against an FBS opponent and have no facilities. That is a hard sell for far better recruiters than Coker. Coker will be well into retirement by the time UTSA wins any conference football championship.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

No one questions Larry Coker's credentials as a coach. I applaud their ability to schedule some top teams to the Alamodome. But, it will take them years to get up to speed with a startup program. They should start with weak teams to build confidence. I just hope that their fans stick with them after a season of 40 point losses.

• Upvote 1

I totally agree. Who fears an old coach who has won a national championship, finished ranked in the top 5 three times, and has lost a total of 21 games in his coaching career? That doesn't scare me one bit. Fortunately for us UTSA didn't go out and hire some hot shot up & coming high school coaching genius. Then I would be really afraid.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1