Texas/DFW recruiting winds are changing

Harry

I think having a strength and conditioning coach who's as dedicated to this job as our current one is key. Make no mistake, this is the best coaching staff top to bottom in Denton, Texas since Hayden Fry. Mac knows how to develop talent better than both Dickey and Dodge and has more tools to do so. some of these guys who are project players will be stars here. The players love Mac and will work tirelessly for him, Dodge never had that from his players. That will make a huge difference in the coming years IMO.

You know there is a big difference between hope and results. All NT fans hope for improvements in recruiting and in the field. I have no doubt that McCarney and staff just have a better understanding of what it takes to be successful than most of NT's prior staffs and certainly the last two HC's. The current football staff should be the best overall that NT has had, just based on experience. While, the strenght and conditioning function appears to be much improved, most FB schools have had similar efforts for a much longer period; but I think it is progress for NT's program.

I have no idea of the player relationship with either Dodge or McCarney and I am not sure that is a big factor anyway. The usual setup is the HC is always popular with most players, as he leaves the dirty work with the players to the assistants.

At this point, McCarney hasn't had the opportunity to prove that he is any better evaluating and/or developing players than the norm. It is going to take a year or two to make that determination.

• Upvote 1

Coker has something to sell in San Antonio. He will have no other competition for college football, and they play in the Alamo Dome. At most schools not having an on campus stadium would be a problem, but since San Anonio has no other FBS college or pro team, I don't think it will have the same negative impact, if the community embraces the program. We will see if all the losing effects how much the city supports them. I think Coker was a decent coach, but he is getting old. I wonder if he will be the Schnelly of UTSA, and go out the wrong way? Coker will have a harder time winning in C-USA, then Schnelly had in the Sun Belt.

Boy, UTSA caught us in a hurry. They don't even have a practice facility. It appears that they are bussed about a mile to a high school facility for practice. No tradition as they are in their second year ever and have yet to play a FBS opponent.

Sure, they've got a great coach but he has little to recruit to and he doesn't stand out that much over other Texas coaches. UTSA has so far to go that the reincarnation of Bear Bryant could have little success in their situation. They'll be successful in time but beating NAIA and Division III schools doesn't elevate you anywhere in the FBS world.

• Upvote 1

Coker has something to sell in San Antonio. He will have no other competition for college football, and they play in the Alamo Dome. At most schools not having an on campus stadium would be a problem, but since San Anonio has no other FBS college or pro team, I don't think it will have the same negative impact, if the community embraces the program. We will see if all the losing effects how much the city supports them. I think Coker was a decent coach, but he is getting old. I wonder if he will be the Schnelly of UTSA, and go out the wrong way? Coker will have a harder time winning in C-USA, then Schnelly had in the Sun Belt.

Incarnate Word University has been playing football for the past three years,this San Antonio school is in the Lone Star Conference, DII, they are one of three schools applying for admission to the Southland Conference. Abilene Christian University and New Orleans University. It seems NOU has decided to began playing football soon.

Perhaps. But, I look at the start-from-scratch programs like South Florida. They had a coach with skins on the wall, but far fewer than Larry. But, he had support from the school, connections, and willing cash.

UTSA has support from the school, Coker has connections, and they are getting cash. Remember, they were on Longhorn Network more than the Longhorns last year.

I'm not saying I'm happy about UTSA being able to be in the same conference as us without "paying their dues." I am saying, when you have committed people and cash all up and down the line, good things will happen for you sooner rather than later.

Look at their home schedule. They've got San Jose State and Utah State on back-to-back weekend. Yeah, it's not Notre Dame and Texas, but it ain't Texas Southern either. I'm just saying they have been getting some things done behind the scenes with an eye on "big" instead of just hoping for it.

I realize their schedules will change due to realignment, but look at who they had home games from in the future - Oklahoma State, Arizona, Arizona State, Virginia, Baylor.

As I've said before, like it or not, San Antonio is an attractive trip to people who haven't been there 100 times and don't already realize the Alamo ain't a big deal, and there is better Tex-Mex elsehwere in the state. To Virginia people, the Alamo will be exciting history, and the Tex-Mex more spicy and exciting than whatever crap passes for Mexican up there.

They got decent programs to commit to go there before they've even played one down as an FBS school! Why? They know where they want to go, and they are going there. And, old man Larry Coker, well respected in the coaching community, is a big part of that. San Antonio is a natural tourist draw, and Coker is a nice guy who hasn't burned bridges along the way.

We pooh-pooh UTSA at our own peril. Tulsa will die on the vine because their DFW recruiting will be diminished. The Roadrunners will be our rival. We need to realize it now, accept it, and most of all, prepare for it.

I know you received a J.D. from Tulsa and follow them closely but why do you think that? They have 12 players from the North Texas Area on their roster. They do have a total of 27 from Texas.

• Upvote 2

I agree with GreenFlag. Tulsa has been recruiting this area for years and I don't see any reduction of players from this area just because their opponent changed from SMU to North Texas. In fact, they might even do better because SMU and Tulsa are far more similar academically than UNT vs. Tulsa. Recruits perceive that they get a more expensive education, thus more valuable. Our asset is that we offer a much broader curriculum with decent (or better) quality.

San Antonio is a great tourist destination but I'm not sure how you necessarily match that with a quality football program. They will take their lumps during their growing pains and they have a lot of catching up to do with facilities. And, once the newness wears off, the fan support will dwindle if they constantly lose.

I believe that I'd take my foot off of the accelerator until after they have competed well with Tulsa and Southern Miss on successive weekends.