UNT makes decision on Odoh

Lets see our AD is quoted as saying he does not release players, then he responds to a bunch of LSU fans via email and states it is a coaches' decision, and now Odoh gets a release.

I don't agree with Vito thinking this would be a big recruiting problem if they did not release Odoh. It would be a bigger problem if every recruit that signed, wanted a release after he got a better offer. It was obvious, after NT has used all its ships that Odoh would get a release. The restrictions placed on it, were the only issue.

It will be interesting to see if LSU actually signs him. Also it will be fun to follow Odoh and Coleman's careers to see who does the best. Colemen for three years seems like a good replacement. Both look raw. I kind of hope Odoh doesn't go to LSU, because I don't think he is close to the player some of their fans envision.

On the positive side with it looking like Mitchell, Jones and J. Williams will all return, the Odoh fiasco looks minor in comparison.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Lets see our AD is quoted as saying he does not release players, then he responds to a bunch of LSU fans via email and states it is a coaches' decision, and now Odoh gets a release.

I don't agree with Vito thinking this would be a big recruiting problem if they did not release Odoh. It would be a bigger problem if every recruit that signed, wanted a release after he got a better offer. It was obvious, after NT has used all its ships that Odoh would get a release. The restrictions placed on it, were the only issue.

It will be interesting to see if LSU actually signs him. Also it will be fun to follow Odoh and Coleman's careers to see who does the best. Colemen for three years seems like a good replacement. Both look raw. I kind of hope Odoh doesn't go to LSU, because I don't think he is close to the player some of their fans envision.

On the positive side with it looking like Mitchell, Jones and J. Williams will all return, the Odoh fiasco looks minor in comparison.

I think Rick's quote only adressed cutting players that were not playing well. He did say they will release players under other circumstances.

• Upvote 2

Curious how he addressed the issue of the 2 tennis players from last year who were released due to ability, both were eligible as they both went to other D1 schools, not that I have an issue with it, but he is speaking out of both sides of his mouth.

I thought RV said he doesn't allow new coaches to release players due to ability....ie he doesn't let a new coach come in and dump 3 quarters of the roster.
  • Upvote 1

You sure he didn't say that about Coleman?

Not sure why he would say that about Odoh last night when he knew Odoh wasn't coming at the Denton CC stop last week.

oh yeah, Coleman. That's the Juco transfer, right?

• Upvote 1

oh yeah, Coleman. That's the Juco transfer, right?

These comments were from Vito's mailbag this morning:

Tony Benford mentioned when he released John Odoh that he was not allowed to talk to him to try to convince him to follow through with his commitment to UNT.

Again, that decision was Odoh's. He didn't want to talk to Benford.

Sounds like the kid or i should say, young man, never gave Coach Benford a chance.

Edited by meangreenfan65

These comments were from Vito's mailbag this morning:

Tony Benford mentioned when he released John Odoh that he was not allowed to talk to him to try to convince him to follow through with his commitment to UNT.

Again, that decision was Odoh's. He didn't want to talk to Benford.

Sounds like the kid or i should say, young man, never gave Coach Benford a chance.

My guess there were more people involved than Odoh in that decision. Why would he under any circumstances refuse to talk to the new coach of the team he signed with? I can understand why NT attempted to play hardball with him. This kid didn't deserve a release.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

My guess there were more people involved than Odoh in that decision. Why would he under any circumstances refuse to talk to the new coach of the team he signed with? I can understand why NT attempted to play hardball with him. This kid didn't deserve a release.

I

IMO, I think you are correct. I think the wheel was turning the moment, JJ accepted the LSU job. It's unfortunate, but when you look at the landscape of college basketball, today, it seems to be the flavor of the day. Actually, i think the wheel was turning before the offer at LSU. Again, IMO.

Edited by meangreenfan65
  • Upvote 1

:ninja: