Sunday night UNT Hoops notes (Odoh update)

Harry

Beginning to wonder this myself but athletic 6-10 don't grow on trees! With Tony likely staying one more year, you really have to try and maximize your lineup to do some damage. From reading the LSU board it appears there just aren't any quality juco big men available.

I'd slow down on annoiting Odoh as the next coming of Odufuwa. Big leap he will be making, and having seen him play, I would equate him to the freshman on WKU who went off in the finals against us, minus that finals game against us. NT03, help me with that kid's name. Good height, but only avefraged around 5 points and 6 boards in the Belt, I believe. I could see those exact averages for Odoh, and could also see him as a defensive liability.

I do think he has a lot of upside because he has only played basketball for 4 years, but when will he reach that potential? In the next 2 years? 3? Has he already?

Lots of variables with Odoh. Not a lock as a starter or a major contributor next year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I'd slow down on annoiting Odoh as the next coming of Odufuwa. Big leap he will be making, and having seen him play, I would equate him to the freshman on WKU who went off in the finals against us, minus that finals game against us. NT03, help me with that kid's name. Good height, but only avefraged around 5 points and 6 boards in the Belt, I believe. I could see those exact averages for Odoh, and could also see him as a defensive liability.

I do think he has a lot of upside because he has only played basketball for 4 years, but when will he reach that potential? In the next 2 years? 3? Has he already?

Lots of variables with Odoh. Not a lock as a starter or a major contributor next year.

The player at WKU was a junior not a freshman, I believe a transfer from OK State.

Odoh may not be good enough to play for Benford, but if that is the case there should be no problem in releasing him. Now if Odoh wants to come to NT and Benford doesn't think he is good enough that is a different story.

Different coaches see things differently, for example I still not sure what JJ saw in Edwards. So just because Jones thought Odoh was a player it doesn't make it so. However, raw or not he averaged about 14 rbs and 4 blocks a game. Great stats for someone who can't play at NT.

• Upvote 1

The player at WKU was a junior not a freshman, I believe a transfer from OK State.

Odoh may not be good enough to play for Benford, but if that is the case there should be no problem in releasing him. Now if Odoh wants to come to NT and Benford doesn't think he is good enough that is a different story.

Different coaches see things differently, for example I still not sure what JJ saw in Edwards. So just because Jones thought Odoh was a player it doesn't make it so. However, raw or not he averaged about 14 rbs and 4 blocks a game. Great stats for someone who can't play at NT.

Those averages are against JC competition. The game I saw him, he played against a kid the same size (which is more like 6'8" or, at most, 6'9") and he didn't come anywhere near those averages.

Could he develop into a nice player for UNT? Absolutely. Is he a guarantee to come in here and start immediately and make an impact? Far from a given. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I would be surprised if it did.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Players commit to a school, not a coach. Odoh does not get an automatic release with a coaching change.

Anyone ever consider a meeting may not be necessary because Odoh is locked into coming to UNT?

Just a thought.

i assume Coach has met with Tony Mitchell. not puting Odoh at same level, but if we really want him i have a hard time believing that we have not met with him. if not, then he doesn't fit , and let him go anywhere he wants to. to hold him to a l.o.i. if he wants out will come back to bite you. i don't care if he goes to LSU if he has a chance.

Those averages are against JC competition. The game I saw him, he played against a kid the same size (which is more like 6'8" or, at most, 6'9") and he didn't come anywhere near those averages.

Could he develop into a nice player for UNT? Absolutely. Is he a guarantee to come in here and start immediately and make an impact? Far from a given. Not saying it couldn't happen, but I would be surprised if it did.

Not sure what game you saw, but the game against Weatherford he had double digit points and rebounds. Only mention that because someone posted part of the video. In fact, he only had a couple of games all year that he didn't have double digit rebounds.

I have no idea if he is good enough to excel at the major college level or if he is 6'8 or 6'11. My guess is that unless Benford can bring in another big man, he would be the best center NT has unless they want to play Mitchell out of position for another year. However, you have seen him play and I have not; his stats are stellar but Benford does not seem to be all that interested.

If your comparison to the WKU center is accurate, that wouldn't be bad to have either. He completely dominated Mitchell for one game, if you could get a handful of those games a year it would be a big plus.

The Odoh situation is a big mistery at this point. If Benford wanted him and he wanted to be here, there would be no impasse. Apparently, he either does not want to play for Benford or Benford doesn't want him. Whatever the case, not having a meeting seems very odd.

• Upvote 1