They traded with St. Louis to get the #2 pick [ supposedly Robert Griffin III ] at QB.

The cost:

Their first Rd or 6th pick of this year....

Their second Rd pick or 39th pick in this draft....

Their first Rd pick in 2013 ....

Their first Rd pick in 2014 ....

St. Louis robbed them in my opinion .... and likely didn't need that QB. This trade moved the Skins past the Vikings, Browns and Bucs and put the Rams behind those three ( and may still get the player they want ) and getting a lot of high picks. Looks to me like the Rams made out like a bandit....

• Upvote 1

They traded with St. Louis to get the #2 pick [ supposedly Robert Griffin III ] at QB.

The cost:

St. Louis robbed them in my opinion .... and likely didn't need that QB. This trade moved the Skins past the Vikings, Browns and Bucs and put the Rams behind those three ( and may still get the player they want ) and getting a lot of high picks. Looks to me like the Rams made out like a bandit....

That does indeed feel like the rams robbed the bank

The Skins got hosed but they've been searching for a franchise quarterback for two decades and I think Snyder is beaten down not having at a chance in getting a franchise QB. If there is a position you're going to give that much for then it is for a QB.

Time will tell if RG3 is that guy but I can at least understand the deal even tho Washington got raped but if RG3 turns out to be a really good to great franchise QB for the next 10-12 years then it will all be worth it in my opinion.

The cost:

No player is worth that trade.

• Upvote 1

No player is worth that trade.

Well it could be an utter disaster and backfire but I think it's best to see what the outlook of the trade is after a few years. If right now you have to give that up and the QB you get is a true bonafide franchise QB such as say....Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning etc.....then I disagree wholeheartedly.

The QB position is the most important one on the team and with a really good to great quarterback you can assure yourself of being in a position to win consistently and regularly make the playoffs and make a run at the championship. A franchise quarterback will give you a good 10-12 years in most cases and 15 years in some rare ones. To me that is so worth it...you may miss out on high draft picks the first couple of years but having an elite quarterback makes drafting so much easier in my opinion.

Well it could be an utter disaster and backfire but I think it's best to see what the outlook of the trade is after a few years. If right now you have to give that up and the QB you get is a true bonafide franchise QB such as say....Peyton Manning, Phillip Rivers, Eli Manning etc.....then I disagree wholeheartedly.

The QB position is the most important one on the team and with a really good to great quarterback you can assure yourself of being in a position to win consistently and regularly make the playoffs and make a run at the championship. A franchise quarterback will give you a good 10-12 years in most cases and 15 years in some rare ones. To me that is so worth it...you may miss out on high draft picks the first couple of years but having an elite quarterback makes drafting so much easier in my opinion.

----It MIGHT work out ok.... but there aren't many that do. Rivers had never been to a Super Bowl... and a lot of Super Bowl winners never saw the first round...much less top 5. Brady was 6th round. Leaf, early first round. Rodgers late first round. Brees, second round.

This type of thing is SOOOOOO hard to judge at this point. The odds are against a Rookie QB coming in and making an immediate difference or even being half as great at the Pro level as he was at the College level. ...and there are more stories of highly touted QB's that get traded after a year or two by the team who drafted them...

It doesn't matter if you have Manning, Brady, or Montana under center, if he's playing behind a 3rd string CFL line, because you can't draft anyone worth a flip, and he doesn't have enough weapons around him.

Williams wasn't worth all the picks the Saints gave up. Walker wasn't worth all the picks Dallas gave up. I guess it could work, but I've never seen it work.

• Downvote 1

It doesn't matter if you have Manning, Brady, or Montana under center, if he's playing behind a 3rd string CFL line, because you can't draft anyone worth a flip, and he doesn't have enough weapons around him.

Williams wasn't worth all the picks the Saints gave up. Walker wasn't worth all the picks Dallas gave up. I guess it could work, but I've never seen it work.

...Dallas didn't give up the picks for Hershal Walker... Minnesota did.. to get him from Dallas.. bad deal for the Vikings, good for Dallas as they then soon won three Super Bowls.

All I need to know about Robert Griffin on draft day, if I'm an owner or GM, is that he led Baylor to a 55-28 loss to a very average Texas A&M squad.

Yes, they beat a Texas team who can't find a quarterback. Don't expect that to last.

Yes, they beat an Oklahoma team with an injury-plagued secondary...and it took them until 8 seconds left in the game to do it.

All the Robert Griffin story does is this - it proves that hype can, for a short time, glaze over the inability to perform. The NFL, after all, is as much about marketing as it is football. That's why they make teams fly over to London, where American football has already failed, to play games.

NFL was happy to make money off overhyped players like Vince Young, Reggie Bush, and Matt Leinart. They and the Redskins will have a short-lived bonanza on the sale of Robert Griffin jerseys. But...

...when they tee up the ball for kickoff and let 'er rip, the NFL is not going to be pretty for Robert Griffin. The League isn't a track meet filled with team with defenses as awful as they offer in the Big 12. Griffin will have a difficult time with even the worst of NFL secondaries.

But, he'll be rich because fate gave him a down Texas team and an injury-riddled Oklahoma team down the stretch in 2011 in one of the most off years in Heisman/college football history.

And that...is the rest of the story.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch
  • Upvote 1

All I need to know about Robert Griffin on draft day, if I'm an owner or GM, is that he led Baylor to a 55-28 loss to a very average Texas A&M squad.

Yes, they beat a Texas team who can't find a quarterback. Don't expect that to last.

Yes, they beat an Oklahoma team with an injury-plagued secondary...and it took them until 8 seconds left in the game to do it.

All the Robert Griffin story does is this - it proves that hype can, for a short time, glaze over the inability to perform. The NFL, after all, is as much about marketing as it is football. That's why they make teams fly over to London, where American football has already failed, to play games.

NFL was happy to make money off overhyped players like Vince Young, Reggie Bush, and Matt Leinart. They and the Redskins will have a short-lived bonanza on the sale of Robert Griffin jerseys. But...

...when they tee up the ball for kickoff and let 'er rip, the NFL is not going to be pretty for Robert Griffin. The League isn't a track meet filled with team with defenses as awful as they offer in the Big 12. Griffin will have a difficult time with even the worst of NFL secondaries.

But, he'll be rich because fate gave him a down Texas team and an injury-riddled Oklahoma team down the stretch in 2011 in one of the most off years in Heisman/college football history.

And that...is the rest of the story.

And Andrew Luck didn't go against some terrible Pac12 teams?

Are you really predicting a Manning/Leaf scenario?

And Andrew Luck didn't go against some terrible Pac12 teams?

Are you really predicting a Manning/Leaf scenario?

I actually I'm predicting more of a Leaf/Leaf scenario.

Think about this, Andrew Luck is going to be in a complete no-win situation. He will never be Peyton Manning. That's not to slight the kid. Manning took a crappy franchise and single-handedly made it competitive a la Michael Jordan with the Chicago Bulls.

Second, Indianapolis has gutted its team. Already admitting that Luck is not a Manning/Jordan-type one in a million athlete, he's going to have an uphill battle simply for personnel reasons.

No one can follow Manning, and the Colts gutted. Plus, you are also correct about Pac-12 team and their horrible defense. Luck's upperclass years were spent with USC - far and away the Pac-12's most competitive football school - hamstrung by NCAA investigations and, ultimately, penalties. Again, fate served him well.

I really don't see any "can't miss" quarterbacks in this draft. It's more likely that a Tom Brady-late pick guy has the best career. Therefore, had I been the Colts, I'd have kept Manning and taken the running back from Trent Richardson with the first round pick.

The best shot at "can't miss" is likely Trent Richardson. With Minnesota (#3 pick) already set at RB with Adrian Peterson, Cleveland (#4) is being handed a gift by getting the best player in the draft at #4.

Having a great run game and good defense hide poor to average quarterbacking in the League. The Browns had the fifth best defense in the NFL last season. It doesn't matter how bad Colt McCoy plays or how slowly he develops, if ever. If the Browns defense is still good, and McCoy can turn around and hand the ball to Trent Richardson 25 times a game, Cleveland will be a playoff team quickly.

I expect nothing out of Luck or Griffin. I will only be surprised is either one actually succeeds in the long haul. They both look like highly-hype future clipboard-holders to me - nice work, though, if you can get it!

--I think will do well... he is pretty talented and he is intelligent apparently... just not THAT well.. not worth the price paid. he will need some talent around him and they gave up a lot of picks that could have been talent. I wonder if any of the three teams they jumped past would have taken him?

1st Round of the Draft - Teams' current QB situations:

#1 Indianapolis

Backups - Drew Stanton, Trevor Vittatoe

#2 Washington

1. Rex Grossman

Backups - John Beck, Jonathan Crompton

#3 Minnesota

1. Chris Ponder...or, maybe Sage Rosenfels, acquired during the off-season

Backups - Joe Webb, McLeod Bethel-Thompson

#4 Cleveland

1. Colt McCoy...maybe Seneca Wallace still?

Backup - Thaddeus Lewis

#5 Tampa Bay

1. Josh Freeman

Backups - Dan Orlovsky, Brett Ratliff

#6 St. Louis

1. Sam Bradford

Backups - Kellen Clemens, Tom Brandstater

#7 Jacksonville

1. Blaine Gabberts, whose rookie numbers were better than Vince Young's...but, he wasn't also named Rookie of the Year. Should have had more marketable jerseys, Blaine. That means a lot to the NFL.

Backups - Chad Henne, Dan LeFevour

#8 Miami

1. Matt More...or, newly signed David Garrard? You pick

Backup - Pat Devlin

#9 Carolina

1. Cam Newton

Backups - Jimmy Clausen, Derek Anderson

#10 Buffalo

1. Ryan Fitzpatrick

Backup - Tyler Thigpen

#11 Kansas City

1. Matt Cassell

Backups - Brady Quinn, Ricky Stanzi

#12 Seattle

1. Newly acquired Matt Flynn or Tarvaris Jackson

Backups - Josh Portis

#13 Arizona

1. Kevin Kolb

Backups - Richard Bartel, John Skelton

#14 Dallas

1. Tony Romo

Backups - Kyle Orton, Stephen McGee, Rudy Carpenter

#15 Philadelphia

1. Michael Vick

Backups - Trent Edwards, Mike Kafka

#16 New York Jets

1. Mark Sanchez

Backups - Tim Tebow, Greg McElroy

#17 Cincinnati

1. Andy Dalton

Backups - Bruce Gradkowski, Zac Robinson

#18 San Diego

1. Phillip Rivers

Backups - Charlie Whitehurst

#19 Chicago

1. Jay Cutler

Backups - Jason Campbell, Josh McCown, Nathan Enderle

#20 Tennessee

1. Jake Locker

Backups - Matt Hasselback, Rusty Smith

#21 Cincinnati again

#22 Cleveland again

#23 Detroit

1. Matthew Stafford

Backups - Shaun Hill

#24 Pittsburgh

1. Ben Roethlisberger

Backups - Charlie Batch, Troy Smith, Jerrod Johnson

#25 Denver

1. Peyton Manning

Backups - Caleb Hanie, Adam Weber

#26 Houston

1. Matt Schaub

Backups - T.J. Yates

#27 New England

1. Tom Brady

Backups - Brian Hoyer, Mike Hartline, Ryan Mallett

#28 Green Bay

1. Aaron Rodger

Backups - Graham Harrell, Nick Hill

#29 Baltimore

1. Joe Flacco

Back-ups - Curtis Painter, Tyrod Taylor

#30 San Francisco

1. Alex Smith

Backups - Josh Johnson, Alex Kaepernick, Scott Tolzien

#31 New England again

#32 New York Giants

1. Eli Manning

Backups - David Carr, Ryan Perrilloux

I don't know...I'm just not sold on a 29 year old rookie.

Are you sold on a 26-year old with 6-15 record and a history of concussions? And, again, who has a weaker arm than the 29-year old?

No one says Weeden is the second coming of Peyton Manning. But, I think if you're a Browns fan, you're pretty happy to try anyone not named Colt McCoy, Seneca Wallace, or Thaddeus Lewis at this point.

The bar to play QB better than those three is pretty low. Surely, Weeden can do that. Cleveland may even be able to surpasses McCoy's six wins over two seasons total in one season.

Interesting note:

Weeden-led Oklahoma State beat:

*Luck-led Stanford in the Fiesta Bowl (41-38)

*Griffin-led Baylor (59-24...OSU was up 35-0 at halftime, 56-10 in the 4th before Griffin threw a TD pass against the Poke backups)

*Tannehill-led Texas A&M (30-29)

Again, unlike many draft "experts" I don't think Luck and Griffin were the best two players in the draft. I'm not even convinced that they were the best two quarterbacks. Weeden - and, frankly, anyone drafted from here on out - is just as likely to succeed as any QB picked so far.

None of the 2012 QBs have even remotely a Dan Marino/John Elway/Peyton Manning type feel to them. They are just guys.

Edited by The Fake Lonnie Finch