Honestly

With news coming out this week that MWC/CUSA officials have visited or are going to visit Utah State, Louisiana Tech, UTSA & SJSU and literally nothing mentioned about North Texas, am I the only one getting closer to the realization that the sun belt will be our conference forever? I am trying not to get discouraged, but it's disheartening to see every one of these schools beat writers have a new update or article everyday with sources, and we have nothing. If our conference mates will be Troy, FAU, ULM, ULL and ASU for the foreseeable future, I don't see how we're supposed to grow interest in our athletic program. A conference slate of Tulsa, UTEP, Rice, La Tech, Tulane plus the series with SMU coming up would give us a legitimate chance to establish ourselves as a real football program, build interest among locals, and give the university more exposure. Not just a directional school SEC schools pay to beat up on.

Please tell me I'm not the only one growing more worried. Where there's smoke there's fire, the aforementioned schools have had visits, and we have had Tulane AD come by the stadium to get ideas for their future stadium. That's it. What happened to the rumor from the SBC tourney that "North Texas was as good as gone"? that was posted on an obscure message board I have never even heard of? I hate to say this, but I feel like if we don't get in the stadiums will be for waste, the stadium is a top class facility, and we're in a low class conference. We need this now more than ever, we cannot be left behind.

All we read about is how the alliance is trying to work out the legal issues at this point, but clearly they're close to deciding who they want to invite if they haven't already. How come our fan base is the only one in the dark?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

The Alliance have talked about someday expanding to 24. That would mean that quite a few teams would need to be added later. So, they are probably checking out lots of potential future candidates.

NT was already visited by CUSA some time ago. IMO, that means that we were probably at the top of their list of 1st round expansion candidates. Personally, I doubt that these late visitations are occurring because NT has been marked off their list. I just think that the new conference is considering a major expansion in the next couple of years that will include up to 6 more schools.

Hopefully we will find out something for sure in the next month or two.

• Upvote 3

People tend to dismiss that UNT was one of the first schools visited and vetted by the expansion officials. Just because Vitto is not rehashing the same tired junk does not mean we have been passed by.

they probably already made up their minds that yall are in and there's no need to keep making visits

• Upvote 4

Maybe these other schools are just freer with their information. NT has chosen to keep this low key, which I doubt makes any difference in the final decisions one way or the other. Do you really believe that NT is not getting at least the same look as the other mentioned schools? Anything can happen and at NT it seems that it always is disappointment. Right now, some are worried about La Tech not only located in Ruston but with limited facilities, the Texas twins who have not yet even played a FB division game, and I guess everyone else not already in a better conference who proclaims they are a candidate for CUSA/MWC/Alliance. Frankly with the cast of characters vying for inclusion, I don't know how NT could not be invited. Possible, but I would have to think unlikely particularly in view of who is reporting consideration.

• Upvote 1

Maybe these other schools are just freer with their information. NT has chosen to keep this low key, which I doubt makes any difference in the final decisions one way or the other. Do you really believe that NT is not getting at least the same look as the other mentioned schools? Anything can happen and at NT it seems that it always is disappointment. Right now, some are worried about La Tech not only located in Ruston but with limited facilities, the Texas twins who have not yet even played a FB division game, and I guess everyone else not already in a better conference who proclaims they are a candidate for CUSA/MWC/Alliance. Frankly with the cast of characters vying for inclusion, I don't know how NT could not be invited. Possible, but I would have to think unlikely particularly in view of who is reporting consideration.

Just throwing this out there, don't bash. Maybe the Alliance wants to invite a few right now with hopes of expanding in following years. If Utah St and San Jose St go to MWC side of the conference you might as well take LaTech & UTSA for the CUSA side since the WAC is aleady dead and North Texas can only get stronger with another season or two in Sun Belt. At the end of the day, I really dont think yall have much to worry about

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just throwing this out there, don't bash. Maybe the Alliance wants to invite a few right now with hopes of expanding in following years. If Utah St and San Jose St go to MWC side of the conference you might as well take LaTech & UTSA for the CUSA side since the WAC is aleady dead and North Texas can only get stronger with another season or two in Sun Belt. At the end of the day, I really dont think yall have much to worry about

I don't think altruism is a part of realignment. They may indeed pick La Tech and UTSA over NT, but if they do it's not because they have any sympathy for the WAC teams and don't want to disrupt the Belt. There is a danger in what you are proposing, adding La Tech and particularily UTSA is not going to neccessarily make CUSA stronger. Although I think the Belt hurt themselves short term by adding Ga St, the difference in the two leagues could actually narrow and NT, MTSU, WKU etc. may not be as easy to pick up.

I don't think altruism is a part of realignment. They may indeed pick La Tech and UTSA over NT, but if they do it's not because they have any sympathy for the WAC teams and don't want to disrupt the Belt. There is a danger in what you are proposing, adding La Tech and particularily UTSA is not going to neccessarily make CUSA stronger. Although I think the Belt hurt themselves short term by adding Ga St, the difference in the two leagues could actually narrow and NT, MTSU, WKU etc. may not be as easy to pick up.

I don't think it will happen but just trying to figure out scenarios where Tech ends up in CUSA/Alliance and hopefully UNT is there

Edited by techdawg88
  • Upvote 1

There are 2 ways to move up.

1. You get lucky and a conference needs someone in your footprint, or your market is large enough to get you in.

2. You win and build up the quality of your program, generating interest and national recognition.

Currently we are doing #1. If we want to be invited because we are wanted, not because we are needed we need to put a good product on that field and support it. Not just added because they have a spot to fill. People talk about how playing in CUSA will boost attendance, and it may, but after a while that attendance will slip if we have years of going 2-10 or 1-11. The risk is there for a conference to take someone like us as well as the potential to do great, which is why teams that already realize that potential get the invites. We should not depend on the conference to bring in fans, the TEAM should be what brings in fans. Boise St. did it, and if we can have a record like stAte last year we will go places and BCS bowls.

• Upvote 1

With news coming out this week that MWC/CUSA officials have visited or are going to visit Utah State, Louisiana Tech, UTSA & SJSU and literally nothing mentioned about North Texas, am I the only one getting closer to the realization that the sun belt will be our conference forever?

I think your concerns are unwarranted.

We had a visit from this same group. We have a longer history and better TV market than UTSA, LA Tech, and Utah State.

I'm not worried at all.

• Upvote 2

I think your concerns are unwarranted.

We had a visit from this same group. We have a longer history and better TV market than UTSA, LA Tech, and Utah State.

I'm not worried at all.

I'm not trying to get into anything, but how do yall have a longer history than Tech? UNT started football in 1913 & Tech started in 1901. Everyone has a longer history than UTSA and they haven't even played a down of FBS football yet

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

There's no talk because there's really nothing to talk about. Decisions on UNT have probably already been made.

There is no need for UNT Athletics or the administration to talk about seeking out a new conference, and plenty of reason for them to keep their mouths shut until there is a clearer picture of the MWC/CUSA landscape.

Does Vito need to ask questions? He could be, and no one's talking. And when no one's talking, there really isn't a story to be written.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I find it hard to believe that UTEP wants to leave the Texas Metro markets. I am really surprised they want to head west again if that happens with the realignment.

GMG

• Upvote 3

With news coming out this week that MWC/CUSA officials have visited or are going to visit Utah State, Louisiana Tech, UTSA & SJSU and literally nothing mentioned about North Texas, am I the only one getting closer to the realization that the sun belt will be our conference forever?

Realignment news is 90 percent speculation and 10 percent guesswork. I wouldn't freak out about anything until you see solid news about school invites.

• Upvote 4

Realignment news is 90 percent speculation and 10 percent guesswork. I wouldn't freak out about anything until you see solid news about school invites.

If I had to guess, all invites and announcements would come out on the same day. There's just too many moving pieces involved to do it any other way.

I find it hard to believe that UTEP wants to leave the Texas Metro markets. I am really surprised they want to head west again if that happens with the realignment.

GMG

It probably has more to do with there being a number of quality teams in the east as opposed to the west only having Utah St & San Jose St. For ECU & Marshall it's a long way to go for a weekend game in El Paso

• Upvote 1

UT hasn't finished their inside job on us. They won't rest until we're lining up against Abilene Christian. They may not even rest then!

And here's something you can actually control instead of speculating. Get more alumni to donate money to UNT. We have an abysmal percentage of people giving and it differentiates us from better schools. Plus more money means more horsepower. We need a baseball team, a lacrosse team and a mens soccer team.

• Downvote 1