Pat Knight rips his team

GreenBat

I saw that on TV and read it in this mornings newspaper. I about dropped my jaw at some of his comments.

GreenBat, he can coach. Even with his current team he has Lamar in the Southland tourney.

Deep, you live in that area, correct? What was the reaction of the media?

One point he made that lots of people, young and old alike, should think about is that it "all comes down to mentality and attitude". How very true...I saw it every day in my banking career and I see it every day still. A great deal of the time, the folks who get done what they want done, are successful in their careers and develop into positive role models and leaders are those that have it when it comes to "mentality and attitude".

As for Pat Knight...he's probably regretting what and how he said this....might have been much better in private and behind closed doors with his team and coaching staff. Saying such negative things about your own team and program in public does not make Pat Knight look good, does a disservice to Lamar University, and certainly hampers his ability to coach those seniors through the rest of the season.

Mentality and Attitude, folks...praise in public, criticize in private...hard things for some folks to learn it seems....no matter how old one is it seems.

• Downvote 1

KRAM - It may hurt his team the rest of the year but I think he is sending a message for future years. It sounds like he has trouble with these kids all year (drugs, grades, etc. - it's more than poor play). I think there is a reason he called out the seniors. They're only around for two more weeks. I think his outburst was about sending a message to the returning players and incoming players. If there have been really bad issues, I applaud him for calling out the kids.

As far as Pat Knight goes I think he is a decent coach, but got the Tech job before he was ready. The Big 12 is a big boy league and most of those coaches have more experience than Knight did when he took over. I think he was in over his head and Tech is a tough job. Now I don't think he'll ever get back to the Big 12 but I could see him having a nice career at a mid-major type team. He's got a winning record this year and is something like 9-5 in Southland.

Here's new link to video in case anybody missed watching the Youtube before it got pulled down.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaab-the-dagger/pat-knight-rant-may-press-conference-155511578.html

He's getting a lot of play for this rant in the national media. I guess nothing else raised Lamar's visability.

Plus it sounds like not everybody in Southland makes conference tourney. It sounded like this was first time Lamar seniors had qualified.

I may be wrong, but doesn't every team make their conference tournament?

Which brings up my confusion about the Sun Belt tournament. I pulled up a bracket for the 2010 tournament, and it shows 11 teams. There are 12 in conference. ULM doesn't make it? We all know they shouldn't, but I thought all teams in the Sun Belt went to the tournament?

Which brings up my confusion about the Sun Belt tournament. I pulled up a bracket for the 2010 tournament, and it shows 11 teams. There are 12 in conference. ULM doesn't make it? We all know they shouldn't, but I thought all teams in the Sun Belt went to the tournament?

ULM is banned from postseason play for APR issues.

A good coach could possibly motivate the guys to perform to their potential. (or at least better) If I were the AD, I'd call Knight in and read to him the shooting stats of the team; then fire his ass. It's too easy to blame others. Not once did he take any blame for the teams poor shooting.

Lamar Basketball, under Pat Knight, has now taken the place of the Miami Heat as my favorite team to lose a ball game.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Just for clarification, not every team makes the SLC tournament. You do have to earn your way in by being among the top 8 teams. Not saying Knight was right in what he said or how he said it but I do know that the seniors he was talking about were juco guys that Steve Roccaforte brought in to try and save his job...they could score, but they were "me first" guys who were concerned about their own stats, not so much wins and losses...he is not coaching for those guys, he is coaching for the guys he is trying to bring in to build that program.

Just for clarification, not every team makes the SLC tournament. You do have to earn your way in by being among the top 8 teams. Not saying Knight was right in what he said or how he said it but I do know that the seniors he was talking about were juco guys that Steve Roccaforte brought in to try and save his job...they could score, but they were "me first" guys who were concerned about their own stats, not so much wins and losses...he is not coaching for those guys, he is coaching for the guys he is trying to bring in to build that program.

I think the Southland changed their tournament entry requirements after a NT team with about 3 wins entering the tournament, got to the tournament championship.

• 2 weeks later...

wow, what a coach.

Yes, WHAT A COACH! Since his rant on February 22nd, challenging his seniors to get off their @$$e$ and take care of their business on and off the court, Pat Knight's team ran off 6 straight wins. Pretty good I would say, to take a nobody(yes, I know they aren't really, being they are 5-5 lifetime in the NCAA) like Lamar to the NCAA tournament with a 70-49 win over McNeese State, in only his first year.

Edited by EGL66