Scheduling

GrayEagle

While I did not attend the signing day event I am told that the 2012 schedule was talked about and that we are committed to travel to Houston next year. I realize that we owe them a game but I was hoping that it could be put off for a year or two. They already have two OOC home games scheduled for next year (Louisiana Tech and Texas State) so I don't see the necessity on their part for a return game next year. If they insist then so be it but if we've ever pleaded a case then we need to get on bended knee to Houston.

I can live with the Texas Southern game but it would be a lot more palatable if it were not the only out-of-conference home game. If somehow Houston should let us off of the hook for next year my number one choice for a second OOC home game would be Iowa State. They already have two non-conference home games and maybe a date could be worked out. With our coaching staff's connections to ISU I'd hope that would give us some priority.

If not, Kansas may be available. Clint Bowen needs to put in a good word for us (if needed).

We still need an out-of-conference home game in 2013 but at least there is an opening. In 2014 we won't be so lucky unless by some chance we happen to be in the same conference with Tulsa. Otherwise, they would become the third OOC away game and we would have this same process to repeat.

The problem with scheduling Houston is that we have two away games scheduled each year for the next five or so years and the schedule must be reworked to accommodate the Cougars.

So if we have to travel to Houston next year we'll have to bite the bullet. Yes, the schedule will be ugly but absolutely necessary. Each one of us is going to double our efforts to attend every home game and still try to encourage others to do the same. Hopefully, we won't allow ourselves to be in this predicament again.

• Upvote 1

I understand the concern but let us also remember in regards to Houston:

-No more Keenum....having to start a new QB from scratch (backup also graduated)

- New head coach....

The best time to have to play Houston is next year.

In regards to Iowa St. I would prefer that we get a couple more years of Mac's system and building the program before he plays against them.

Houston's good but they lose some talent. Losing Dunbar hurts, no doubt but with our improving offensive line and a more seasoned Thompson at the helm I think that game could be interesting. In fact that could be a game where Houston really overlooks us.

While I did not attend the signing day event I am told that the 2012 schedule was talked about and that we are committed to travel to Houston next year. I realize that we owe them a game but I was hoping that it could be put off for a year or two. They already have two OOC home games scheduled for next year (Louisiana Tech and Texas State) so I don't see the necessity on their part for a return game next year. If they insist then so be it but if we've ever pleaded a case then we need to get on bended knee to Houston.

I can live with the Texas Southern game but it would be a lot more palatable if it were not the only out-of-conference home game. If somehow Houston should let us off of the hook for next year my number one choice for a second OOC home game would be Iowa State. They already have two non-conference home games and maybe a date could be worked out. With our coaching staff's connections to ISU I'd hope that would give us some priority.

If not, Kansas may be available. Clint Bowen needs to put in a good word for us (if needed).

We still need an out-of-conference home game in 2013 but at least there is an opening. In 2014 we won't be so lucky unless by some chance we happen to be in the same conference with Tulsa. Otherwise, they would become the third OOC away game and we would have this same process to repeat.

The problem with scheduling Houston is that we have two away games scheduled each year for the next five or so years and the schedule must be reworked to accommodate the Cougars.

So if we have to travel to Houston next year we'll have to bite the bullet. Yes, the schedule will be ugly but absolutely necessary. Each one of us is going to double our efforts to attend every home game and still try to encourage others to do the same. Hopefully, we won't allow ourselves to be in this predicament again.

unless i was dreaming,i also heard R.V. say that 2112 will be last year that we play 2 schools like LSU and K-State on the road, and beginning in 2013 it will just be 1. having said that, i see Tennessee and Iowa on 2015 schedule, but at present these are not top 10 programs.

Bump....(and wholeheartedly agree).

Our 2012 schedule is really screwed up.

I'd be happy with some of our old Fouts Field foes from yester-year scheduled at Apogee Stadium quite frankly such as the following:

........Kansas State: Come on, Coach Snyder, another game in Denton

Baylor (with a win over the Bears at Fouts)

.......TCU (fun game that seemedly was not as close as the scoreboard indicated)

Oregon State (a PAC-12 school that we beat at Fouts),

.......Vanderbilt (yes, an SEC'er at Fouts)

Navy (the Middies in attendance, the 3 jets pre-game fly-over providing the goose bumps and all and one heckuka' football game during the TDodge era. Navy's win over us that day made them bowl elgible as I recall)

.......Memphis/Lousiville (oh yes, a few years ago--Fry's last game he coached at UNT was at Fouts with a Memphis win on a very frosty night)

Tulsa (maybe once in my lifetime since I was in HS last time we beat them?)

.......UAB (while they're still playing football)

South Florida (talk about an upstart who moved up the chain quickly)

...... Florida State (yes, Bobby Bowden's team in the snow at Fouts Field--the snow with orange highway cones to marke the yard lines made

the national news that evening and on NBC I think)

Addendum: We already have SMU with 4 upcoming home and home games.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

unless i was dreaming,i also heard R.V. say that 2112 will be last year that we play 2 schools like LSU and K-State on the road, and beginning in 2013 it will just be 1. having said that, i see Tennessee and Iowa on 2015 schedule, but at present these are not top 10 programs.

Look, a lot of things are said at events like Wednesday night, very few of which I take as gospel, especially when in the 2nd year of a new stadium we are playing one OOC home game against a FCS team.

Actions will always mean more than words to me. It's clear from Wednesday night that we will be playing LSU. Nothing else about the schedule was addressed. I sincerely hope it changes.

• Upvote 2

I hope that we do have to play two non-AQ opponents on the road because that will mean that one of them is a return game for an appearance at Apogee.

LSU is the money game and K-State is returning the final game at Fouts. Houston is the return for the opener at Apogee. All are understandable but we didn't want them to hit in the same year. The buyout for the LSU game is upward of a million dollars as I understand and we can't afford that. Houston is our best chance for change.

I think what RV was referring to was there won't be two "money" games in the same year. Those are where we are paid a million dollars or so and receive no return game.

Suck on that, Mayan Calendar.

Edited by eulessismore
  • Upvote 1

Dump LSU, find a way to move TSU, and bring in Florida State on 9/8/12 for a H/H. WV just dumped FSU and they have an opening to fill ASAP. Don't have our projected schedule in front of me, but at least it's something to dream about.

The only reason why I like FSU is because of the attendance we would get of possibly having Denton-Ryan Mario Edwards and Denton-Ryan Scotty Young playing against each other in 2013/2014.

That is of course if Scotty comes to UNT. :thumbsu:

Edited by LakeTravis

It was announced today that Texas A & M has tweeked their schedule a bit for next year. They now have four -that's right four - games scheduled for Kyle Field. One of those is againat a FCS team. They now have an away game against La Tech in Shreveport and are still unsure about the location of their game against Arkansas. I wonder how the Aggie faithful feel about that ?

• Upvote 1

It was announced today that Texas A & M has tweeked their schedule a bit for next year. They now have four -that's right four - games scheduled for Kyle Field. One of those is againat a FCS team. They now have an away game against La Tech in Shreveport and are still unsure about the location of their game against Arkansas. I wonder how the Aggie faithful feel about that ?

Must be the AD's fault...they should fire that guy for just sitting around on his rear end doing nothing while all the other schools create great schedules for their loyal fans...come on, what's he doing all this time? He KNEW A&M be leaving the Big XII...why did he just sit around...man what a lazy guy! :stuff:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1