Arkansas State (1/28/12)

CMJ

That might be the best ref crew I've seen at a sun belt game.

Prior to the game starting I mentioned that I didn't recognize them, and that was a good thing because it probably meant they were one of the better crews. It turns out, they were. Also an interesting tidbit: I heard the director of Sun Belt officiating was in attendance today.

Pretty sloppy half in total, but TM is electric today.

Actually, I think the first half was one of the sharper halves of basketball this team has played. In fact, the game in general was very sharp for us as a team.

It is really nice and timely for both Holmen and Hogans to have joined the team again. Holmen's defense was useful, and Hogans big body box outs was very nice to see. Good signs today. I don't see how anything bad could be said about today's outting.

Edit: Also, free throw shooting by both teams was very solid. Alonzo missed those last 2 for us and I think A State maybe only missed 3 all game. For us to push a lead to 20 against them shows great improvement over our previous meeting.

Looking forward to Thursday.

Edited by MeanMag

Prior to the game starting I mentioned that I didn't recognize them, and that was a good thing because it probably meant they were one of the better crews. It turns out, they were. Also an interesting tidbit: I heard the director of Sun Belt officiating was in attendance today.

Ja and Hank mentioned that the Sun Belt head of officiating...I forget his name...was in attendance and evaluating today's game.

Was the team from Beaumont Ozen in attendance today for some reason?

We saw a group of young guys in blue at Rudy's after the game, and one of the adults with them was in a set of blue Ozen warmups.

The schedule says they played in Orange yesterday... Did they take a weekend trip up to Denton for some reason? Doesn't seem to be anyone on their roster on our radar for this year, or even next year that I'm aware of. But they do turn out some mid to high major talent every year or two.

Tony with 21 points, 15 rebounds, 6 blocks, 2 steals, 2 assists. One turnover. One foul.

8-11 from the field, 2-3 from 3-pt, 3-3 from the line

Unbelievably efficient outing.

And the TO was a pass that hit Franklin square in the gut.

Really nice game by TM. sAt was running 3 defenders at him every time he got the ball on the block. TM just calmly found the open man.

Special player

Also, I was a big fan of the starting 5 and, for the most part, minute distribution from tonight's game. Holmen, Franklin, Mitchell up front gives you 3 combo-forwards all capable of guarding SBC 4/5s while creating match-up issues on the other end.

Alzee and Walton have to start, and I think played very well save for Walton's airballs (has to lead the nation)...Alzee's scoring has dipped, but he's being asked to do so much more work without CJ I think it's understandable. Tyler has been great in his minutes and I'm glad he's getting a legit shot at extended minutes. Norris looked a bit more comfortable late, but he's still playing a bit scared.

Not sure where Niko's minutes have gone...like to see him for 10 or so a night...love having Ked back...he was definitely rusty tonight but he'll be a great benefit the rest of the year.

• Upvote 2

And the TO was a pass that hit Franklin square in the gut.

Really nice game by TM. sAt was running 3 defenders at him every time he got the ball on the block. TM just calmly found the open man.

Special player

Thought that pass was a little too hard to expect Franklin to be expected to handle 90% of the time. Was a sure basket if he could have, however.

Real nice to see him find Kedrick around the basket. With him (Ked) working himself back into shape and Tony taking so much coverage, I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing that connection more often as teams cheat on Kedrick to play tougher on Tony.

Nice to see some fortune turning our way.

Actually, I think the first half was one of the sharper halves of basketball this team has played. In fact, the game in general was very sharp for us as a team.

It is really nice and timely for both Holmen and Hogans to have joined the team again. Holmen's defense was useful, and Hogans big body box outs was very nice to see. Good signs today. I don't see how anything bad could be said about today's outting.

Edit: Also, free throw shooting by both teams was very solid. Alonzo missed those last 2 for us and I think A State maybe only missed 3 all game. For us to push a lead to 20 against them shows great improvement over our previous meeting.

Looking forward to Thursday.

I think we're just scratching the surface of what Holman can do. He's very talented. He got quite vertical on that missed dunk(he got fouled).

I was puzzled about the limited minutes Norris got. Alzee played so well though... Who was recruiting Alzee when he came out? This kid is so smooth---plays so controlled and smart.

Alzee was actually a very late pickup (post April signing period) who had an extra year of seasoning at a prep school.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/archives/2009/06/some-thoughts-on-alzee-william.html

He was very much under the radar... Came in so late the year we signed Jacob Holmen early.

I remember Cooley was pretty positive about him and GrandGreen was one of the guys most enthusiastic about Alzee when his commitment came in.

Tony with 21 points, 15 rebounds, 6 blocks, 2 steals, 2 assists. One turnover. One foul.

8-11 from the field, 2-3 from 3-pt, 3-3 from the line

Unbelievably efficient outing.

How many minutes?