Is UTSA any closer to C-USA? "We've been told by

gangrene

Is UTSA any closer to C-USA?

I'm posting this story purely for the comedic value and the reference to the demise of the Sun Belt, although that mention is entirely too confusing to comprehend exactly to what the writer may be alluding.

We confirmed that Conference USA in fact has a long list of programs it's evaluating for realignment and the UTSA source confirmed the expected, "We've been told by Conference USA we're on their radar." Now, if you think outside the box, could the Sun Belt be completely eliminated, "We've heard some things. With Wright retiring next year after 40 years, he could very well be wanting to go out with putting his own personal stamp on the conference in adding some programs that weren't thought of before." The source went on to reassure that UTSA will be just fine, even if the WAC did lose schools such as Utah State, San Jose or New Mexico State and that the Roadrunner program would survive and have options. Is one of those having to go back to the FCS ranks? "No! The WAC would be dead, but we have plenty of options and we know we'll land somewhere."

I also came across a Pizza Hut/UTSA ticket giveaway offer - buy a pizza, get two free tickets to the game...I'm sure that's not hurting their attendance figures much. I started to post the full-size screen grab, but decided against posting a UTSA logo on GMG. Still, if you'd like to view it you can download the attachment.

Is UTSA any closer to C-USA?

I'm posting this story purely for the comedic value and the reference to the demise of the Sun Belt, although that mention is entirely too confusing to comprehend exactly to what the writer may be alluding.

I also came across a Pizza Hut/UTSA ticket giveaway offer - buy a pizza, get two free tickets to the game...I'm sure that's not hurting their attendance figures much. I started to post the full-size screen grab, but decided against posting a UTSA logo on GMG. Still, if you'd like to view it you can download the attachment.

I see a commercial for the Gridiron Giveaway almost every time I watch tv...which isn't much since I'm completely up to my eyes in school work. But it is insane how much promotional material is across San Antonio and the surrounding cities. ...On the plus side there is a billboard by Brooks Medical Center that says, "UNT a top military school" (or something like that) -GI Jobs

I had no idea they were literally giving tickets away.

It is easy to see that UTSA is using the old SMU Mustang Mania massive ticket give away promotion. Many of us guessed that was the program they were using and literally had the last 2 and 3 years to sell and give away en mass for their inaugural season this Fall.

Back in the late 70's SMU drew "an announced" 5,000 against Rice and soon after hired AD Russ Potts from U of Maryland and he proceeded to create the Mustang Mania promotion. 2 years later the SMU promotion guy Brad Thomas was said to have organized an an army of SMU'er who were giving away en mass 200,000 free tickets per SMU home game with many seat aisle, rows and number duplicated to the number of about 3 or 4 frfee tickets per seat. NOTE: Russ Potts philosophy was "an empty seat cannot buy a hot dog, a coke, a program, an SMU T-shirt, etc....and he was spot on with that but sitll.....

.....next time Rice came to town they drew 65,000 in Texas Stadium. Long story short that UTSA will learn soon enough by merely looking toward Mockingbird Lane over in University Park is just what kind of fan base did all those free tickets build for SMU 1, 2 and 3 decades later? Part of you says "sure get them in the stadium no matter how you have to do it, but other schools who had similar free ticket give-aways have never been known to build their school's fan base.

Seems TCU has solved their problems pre-Big 12 invite bt from 1974 to almost the day they hired the late Jim Wacker, TCU was averaging 2 wins per football seasons for almost 10 plus years. North Texas is not the only school in the Metroplex that has seen hard times. The Big 12 for TCU will seem like Happy Days Are Here Again and will now see 10,000 or more visiting fans from many of their Big 12 opponents at the new ACS. (I think TCU if the Big 12 stays in tact will soon have to expand ACS to whatever she can handle in expansion which is ..............anybody know how large TCU can expand ACS after they re-open her next year?

When UTSA stops giving away tickets en mass and the Road Runners are in their 4'th or 5'th losing seson in a row, they will experience what SMU is now even as the 'Stangs are winning but hopefully when R'Runners start to win they will draw more than the 12-16,000 which at Ford Stadium of late always seems to turn into 22,000 in the Sunday AM box scores.:rolleyes: Uh........just saying' what most of you already know.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I think they gave them out to trick or treaters on Halloween too. But seriously, it seems that there are hundreds of ways to get free tickets to the games.

It's actually pretty solid marketing on the part of UTSA. Get people there, show them a good time, build value in the product. They'll leave with a good feeling and know what they're "buying" into as the program grows and hopefully later become season ticket holders.

• Upvote 3