Attendance

KRAM1

OK, seems attendance at Apogee is up 20% over prior years so far and that if UNT averages 15,000 in attendance for its last two home games, UNT will set an all-time attendance record! Heard Coach Mac say that at last evening's radio show live and in person from Rudy's BBQ.

I had no idea that such was the case, nor did I realize that attendance was up 20%. I know the Houston game and the stadium opening crowd has a lot to do with that number, but looks better than I thought. I do, however, believe that UNT is more than capable of getting a minimum of 20,000 in attendance for each and every home game no matter who the opponent might be, and am still disappointed in crowds numbering in the 15,000-17,000 range. But, looks like a start to me, and a fairly decent one at that. Our naming rights partner, Apogee, will probably be pleased with these numbers should we get the 15,000+ for the final two home games. Win a road game or two, have some decent weather and it's probably a DONE DEAL.

Good to hear, nice to know, but let's make 20,000 the "standard" next season.

Thanks to all who are helping to make this happen for UNT.

• Upvote 3

Given the history of losing and in the context of the other things going on in the Metroplex, I'm okay with it.

It will improve quite a bit, just as it has for U of H.

I keep saying it because I believe it is true: Winning solves almost every problem UNT has. We have facilities. We have a legit coaching staff. Our basketball program is solid. The admin is committed to raising the profile of the university on every front.

Just win, baby!

OK, seems attendance at Apogee is up 20% over prior years so far and that if UNT averages 15,000 in attendance for its last two home games, UNT will set an all-time attendance record! Heard Coach Mac say that at last evening's radio show live and in person from Rudy's BBQ.

I had no idea that such was the case, nor did I realize that attendance was up 20%. I know the Houston game and the stadium opening crowd has a lot to do with that number, but looks better than I thought. I do, however, believe that UNT is more than capable of getting a minimum of 20,000 in attendance for each and every home game no matter who the opponent might be, and am still disappointed in crowds numbering in the 15,000-17,000 range. But, looks like a start to me, and a fairly decent one at that. Our naming rights partner, Apogee, will probably be pleased with these numbers should we get the 15,000+ for the final two home games. Win a road game or two, have some decent weather and it's probably a DONE DEAL.

Good to hear, nice to know, but let's make 20,000 the "standard" next season.

Thanks to all who are helping to make this happen for UNT.

That's what I'm talking about! Realistic goals! I remember early in the season when people were thinking we could pull in 28-30,000 every game. It's just not going to happen. Like Eagle1855 said: losing + metroplex sports success = low attendance for us.

It will get better.

After four home games our attendance average is 20,043. Last year the average for the year was 17,718. That's an increase of 11.3%, not 20%.

Our attendance average over the past six years was 17,122. That's six consecutive years of the worst record in our history. It was in the worst stadium in the FBS. It also included at least one bad weather day each year and often a Thanksgiving day weekend when the students were not in school. We haven't had bad weather this year yet; just the threat of it at one game.

We'd have to total 39,787 over the next two games, or 19,894 per game in order to average 20,000. I don't see any way that we can average that this year and that's extremely disappointing to me.

It has to start with the student body as they are the alumni of the future. I recall that back in the 50s we had about the same number of students attending with a third of today's enrollment. The drop back to 1-AA did away with that core and it's time to rebuild again.

GrayEagle, I believe Coach Mac meant through the games played to date at Apogee vs those played in the first four of last season. I definitely could be wrong or Coach mac could be embellishing it a bit, but that's what he said. I don' think he was comparing our avg. attendance to date with a season's avg. attendance. "Through four games" does not a season make.

Apples and oranges perhaps?

Either way, I hope our last two home games have GREAT attendance and UNT does see more than a 20% increase in average attendance over last season. That would be good, no?

GrayEagle, I believe Coach Mac meant through the games played to date at Apogee vs those played in the first four of last season. I definitely could be wrong or Coach mac could be embellishing it a bit, but that's what he said. I don' think he was comparing our avg. attendance to date with a season's avg. attendance. "Through four games" does not a season make.

Apples and oranges perhaps?

Either way, I hope our last two home games have GREAT attendance and UNT does see more than a 20% increase in average attendance over last season. That would be good, no?

one problem has always our game after thanksgiving, which usually is meaningless and poorly attended. however, if we win a road game and beat w.k. at home, the final against the mutts will be for a 6&6 record and outside chance at bowl game. as someone else posted, winning cures attendance issues.

I predicted 6-8 mos ago we would not sell out Apogee for the UH game and I reluctantly predict now that we will have a hard time reaching 20K att. average unless.....we are still on the bowl hunt last 2 games then........the prediction on the 20K part is out the window.

If we had had the pedestrian bridge over the interstate in place this year I think we could have sold out Apogee for the UH game. That bridge over I-35E from Fouts to Apogee is going to do more for us than I think most realize.

GMG!

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I overheard some students today talking about the game on Saturday. One of them said that he and his friends went to the game late but still in the first half. However, the ticket office was closed. Therefore they could not make it into the game. I know they should have gone earlier or picked up tickets during the week but should we keep the ticket office open until the 4th quarter?

I overheard some students today talking about the game on Saturday. One of them said that he and his friends went to the game late but still in the first half. However, the ticket office was closed. Therefore they could not make it into the game. I know they should have gone earlier or picked up tickets during the week but should we keep the ticket office open until the 4th quarter?

No to keeping the ticket office open to the 4th quarter. But, I do believe it should be open until at least half time...let's give students showing up a tad late the opportunity to come in and be counted in attendance. I don't think staying available until the end of the second should be the standard. In fact, I thought they were open until half-time.

Can anyone verify this?

No to keeping the ticket office open to the 4th quarter. But, I do believe it should be open until at least half time...let's give students showing up a tad late the opportunity to come in and be counted in attendance. I don't think staying available until the end of the second should be the standard. In fact, I thought they were open until half-time.

Can anyone verify this?

Keep open until half-time, but then open the student side to anyone after the half-time festivities for more students to catch end of game, maybe just flash a school ID, but Ticket office should be open until at least half-time.