Big deal? Kinda...?

According to the most recent FIFA rankings (October 19) Slovenia is 27th in the world, the U.S. is 34th...and the game was played in Slovenia. So it is by definition an upset.

It's also, and probably more significantly, a confidence building performance in Europe...both the win and the loss. Seeing the offense spark...if only for a half...against Slovenia is encouraging. Seeing the back-line, the glaring weakness under Bradley, perform well against a very dangerous French attack. France is 15th in the FIFA rankings...and considering they're unbeaten in their last 14 matches (both friendlies and Euro Cup qualifiers) including wins over England and Brazil, that rank is bound to continue to rise.

Consider this...the U.S. has home losses to Ecuador (52nd in FIFA rankings) and Costa Rica (62nd) under Klinnsman. This is a big work in progress...but I think this is a successful building block of a trip.

Fair enough. I didn't know Slovenia was that good. I'm a big soccer fan but there's just usually not enough time and space in my brain to consume it with all the other sports and teams I follow.

Also you say it's a big work in progress...isn't this team a lot better than the results they produced under Bradley? I thought from what I heard that this team was supposed to do a lot better with the talent they had which is why they gave Bradley the boot. It may have been mentioned on this board but the fact that Klinsmann should have been hired like 5 yrs ago and that his luster has kinda passed?

• 3 months later...

The U.S. Men's National team defeated Italy in an international friendly yesterday, 1-0 in Genoa, Italy. This is truly a landmark win for the MNT as well as manager Jurgen Klinnsman. And while this was not the strongest team Italy could field (though, perhaps the sane-est without Mario Balotelli), it was not lacking for first-team quality talent with players like Thiago Motta, Andrea Pirlo and Daniella De Rosi all featuring. And, to that end, the U.S. side was without Landon Donovan, Timmy Chandler and Gooch Onweyo all left off the squad for various reasons.

The goal was scored by Clint Dempsey, who has been in ridiculously good form of late at Fulham, after Jozy Altidore did well to win a cross in the box from defender Fabian Johnson and lay off deftly for Dempsey who hit from just outside the 18 yard box.

The Italians dominated possession and had nearly, if no all the chances following Dempsey's goal in the 55th minute, but the U.S. defended well and held on to rather a monumental victory.

The game also marked the international debut of striker Terrence Boyd...the 19 year-old look rather over-whelmed, as might be expected, but physically he looks the part...he's built like a fitter Jozy, but with world-class pace. Hopefully his club, Borussia Dortmund of the Bundesliga will put him on loan next season with the chance of his seeing some first-team club action somewhere in Europe as he's not yet of the class to break through on what is presently the top club in the Bundesliga.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Two American internationals are in absolutely blistering form right now...

Clint Dempsey is going nuts at Fulham presently...he has 16 goals in Premier League competition, good for a tie for fourth in the league, trailing only Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney and Sergio Aguero...the 3 top scorers for the 3 top clubs in England right now. Dempsey, since netting a hat trick against Newcastle on January 21, has scored 7 goals, including 4 in his past 3 matches. Across all competitions, Dempsey has netted 22 goals in 42 games this season. Fulham is a middle of the table club, they won't be playing in Europe and will likely end up selling Dempsey this Summer to a bigger club, probably one playing Champion's League football which will give Dempsey the chance to hone his talent against the best talent and clubs in Europe.

Jozy Altidore has been having similar success of late at AZ Alkmaar...presently the second place team in the Dutch Eredivisie. Altidore leads AZ with 14 goals, including 4 in his past 3 league games. AZ is in quite the fight to hang on to the second place in the Dutch table, a spot that would qualify them for the Champion's League play-in...as with Dempsey, Altidore would benefit greatly from playing in the Champion's League.

Some good news to think on while not watching the U-23s in the Olympics...

Is Holden finally healthy yet?

No...he's been rehabbing in the States for the past 8 months or so, but has just re-joined Bolton to finish up his rehab...I can't imagine he'd feature at all this year (season ends middle of May) but baring another set-back he should be fit for the start of next season...though I'd say about 50/50 in the Premier League as Bolton is in serious danger of relegation.

Two American internationals are in absolutely blistering form right now...

Clint Dempsey is going nuts at Fulham presently...he has 16 goals in Premier League competition, good for a tie for fourth in the league, trailing only Robin van Persie, Wayne Rooney and Sergio Aguero...the 3 top scorers for the 3 top clubs in England right now. Dempsey, since netting a hat trick against Newcastle on January 21, has scored 7 goals, including 4 in his past 3 matches. Across all competitions, Dempsey has netted 22 goals in 42 games this season. Fulham is a middle of the table club, they won't be playing in Europe and will likely end up selling Dempsey this Summer to a bigger club, probably one playing Champion's League football which will give Dempsey the chance to hone his talent against the best talent and clubs in Europe.

Jozy Altidore has been having similar success of late at AZ Alkmaar...presently the second place team in the Dutch Eredivisie. Altidore leads AZ with 14 goals, including 4 in his past 3 league games. AZ is in quite the fight to hang on to the second place in the Dutch table, a spot that would qualify them for the Champion's League play-in...as with Dempsey, Altidore would benefit greatly from playing in the Champion's League.

Some good news to think on while not watching the U-23s in the Olympics...

I think Dempsey is a special player that we will be able to hang our hat on for a few more years. We know what we're getting from this guy, and it is top notch play.

Now, IMO, Jozy's progress in Europe is much more important for the U.S. Squad. He seems to shrink in Intl. play. But maybe if he gains confidence/training against top European squads, it will all click and he can be an elite striker for us.

I think Dempsey is a special player that we will be able to hang our hat on for a few more years. We know what we're getting from this guy, and it is top notch play.

Now, IMO, Jozy's progress in Europe is much more important for the U.S. Squad. He seems to shrink in Intl. play. But maybe if he gains confidence/training against top European squads, it will all click and he can be an elite striker for us.

Fulham has a history of signing Americans...Brian McBride, Carlos Boconegra, Eddie Johnson...it wouldn't surprise me at all if Fulham is forced into selling Dempsey this Summer if they make a play to sign Altidore.

Fulham has a history of signing Americans...Brian McBride, Carlos Boconegra, Eddie Johnson...it wouldn't surprise me at all if Fulham is forced into selling Dempsey this Summer if they make a play to sign Altidore.

Fulham won't be able to afford Dempsey, and other clubs will be bidding for him heavily in the summer. My prediction is he goes to Malaga in Spain, plays for about 4 more years there, then decides to come back to Texas, play for FC Dallas, and fish in Lake Fork at every opportunity.

No...he's been rehabbing in the States for the past 8 months or so, but has just re-joined Bolton to finish up his rehab...I can't imagine he'd feature at all this year (season ends middle of May) but baring another set-back he should be fit for the start of next season...though I'd say about 50/50 in the Premier League as Bolton is in serious danger of relegation.

Was wondering bc I haven't seen him hobbling around the Houston hot spots lately.

Fulham won't be able to afford Dempsey, and other clubs will be bidding for him heavily in the summer. My prediction is he goes to Malaga in Spain, plays for about 4 more years there, then decides to come back to Texas, play for FC Dallas, and fish in Lake Fork at every opportunity.

Malaga?!?! That's really going out on a limb. Maybe if they hold onto their place in the Champion's League (or at least the play-in)...but I'd put this at about 2% likely-hood...0% if Malaga ends up in the Europa league.

(Unfortunately) I think he ends up at Liverpool...he won't be in UCL again, but they'll spend and his style fits Kenny D's style and demeanor.

Fingers crossed that he's off to Emirates and my Arsenal, though...

Malaga?!?! That's really going out on a limb. Maybe if they hold onto their place in the Champion's League (or at least the play-in)...but I'd put this at about 2% likely-hood...0% if Malaga ends up in the Europa league.

(Unfortunately) I think he ends up at Liverpool...he won't be in UCL again, but they'll spend and his style fits Kenny D's style and demeanor.

Fingers crossed that he's off to Emirates and my Arsenal, though...

Malaga's owner wants the champions league birth though. He wants someone who will put him over the top and get that auto-qualifier, and he'll be looking to spend money to do so. Dempsey might just be the guy he needs.